Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 02:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/285/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:way too much
Progress: 29%
Question Antibiotics vs. weight loss

Fellow LC'ers,

I have just recently started a course of the antibiotic Erythromycin and am wondering if anyone knows if this affects weight loss. My current dose in 2g a day which is supposed to be quite high and I've got to stay on this dose for at least 3 months. My doctor told me that if I suffer any of the usual side-effects (nausea, vomiting, stomach ache and diarrhoea ) then I should eat nothing but yoghurt for the day. Apparently the antibiotics kill off all of the helpful digestive bacteris in the intestine, which can't be a good thing .

Has anyone else been on a course of antibiotics during Atkins and noticed any effects on weight loss???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 04:39

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I don't know about anti-biotics and weight loss. I don't see why there would be a conflict between the two though.

I really stopped in to say that if you're not into eating buckets of yogurt, you can buy the little critters that help get back your good bacteria in pill form. It's called acidophilus and you should be able to find it in most drug stores, definately in the health food store.

Hope you don't get sick from the medicine. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 08:22

Thanks for the info Angela. I'll keep my eye out for that acidophilus when I'm next out drug shopping!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 09:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The only problem with antibiotics is they may increase the chances of having a candidia overgrowth, this is why the doctor suggested yogurt. Candida can effect weight loss in the long term. Working to prevent it if you odn't have this problem might be a good idea.

Read the chapter on Yeast in DANDR and try following the candidia restricted diet, at least while on the antibiotics. Get probiotics from a health food store and take these on an empty stomach. Go ahead and get yogurt, just make sure it is whole milk unsweetened with at least 3-5 active cultures. You can usualy find StonyfieldFarms, Horizon, and Albertson's carries a brand called Mountain High Origional I just love the taste of.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 13:04

Ahhh! I've just read the "Yeast Reactions" chapter in the good book and it says...

Quote:
Yeast overgrowth occurs most commonly in individuals exposed to repeated courses of antibiotics (a total of more than twenty weeks in a lifetime, or more than four times in one year, would make Candida overgrowth likely).

I've been on various different antibiotics for the last 5 years, so perhaps Candida overgrowth is indeed an issue. I think I'm gonna try to cut out cheese & mushrooms for a few weeks and start taking probiotics.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 13:28

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I have an infected abcess and have been taking anti-biotics for 6 days which has beat my three week 'stall'
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyuk
I have an infected abcess and have been taking anti-biotics for 6 days which has beat my three week 'stall'

Heh, I'm still recovering from an operation I had six weeks ago to fix up an abcess. Boy do these things take a long time to heal up!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 13:56

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

This is def not sceintific advice, but after my course of antibiotics haven't shifted this infected abcess I'm drinking a bottle of vodka, and so far it seems to be working!!!!!