Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 08:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up I've slipped, I've fallen but I've gotten back up!

Hi all - been a little while since I posted or cruised the pages. I lost my motivation and have been finding the whole thing very difficult. Just can't seem to get my head wrapped around sticking to a PLAN. I know that my downfall was leaving this wonderful support group for too long....

So I am back, getting myself pulled together and making the commitment to try my best to keep up!!

Think I need to keep a journal and try to stay on top of my head space. I wonder if this is really something I want to do? Why is this process so difficult? Am I subconsciously sabotaging myself?

Anyone offer suggestions on how to keep it going?

A friend of mine offered up the expression "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" but truthfully that means nothing to me as I have always struggled wth my weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 13:14

Stats: 298/258.5/148 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have yo-yoed back and forth in weight many times. But, my doctor kept telling me that each try put me that much closer to my goals in life. When I totally give up, which I have in the past, then it just gets worse from there. So, I just kept trying. Then, this last reinduction, things have just clicked for me. I've been really strict on the plan, stuck to it, and let all others know that I am not cheating at all. When they offer me things, I look at them sternly and say no thanks and leave the area. They know I am not cheating as it has always led to failure. I'm very serious about this. I also have been concentrating on when I am really hungry and when I am not. I stop, when I get the pangs to eat, and think about whether I am really hungry, then I drink some water, and think about it some more. I have been surprised at the times when I am really not hungry but just thought I was. Really I just wanted to munch during those times or I wasn't feeling good and was trying to substitute to "feel better". This has really helped me. With me, it is a mind thing and how much I am committed. Hope this helps you. It's just my experience and I know everyone is different.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 23:44

BF:
Smile appreciate the push

thanks Renae for sharing your experience. For some reason I have been having a very tough time with my head space on this. I think I am there now...had a great weekend even though I had a wedding with all the tempting snacks to nibble on. I have restarted my journal and food entry on FitDay which I know was a big help and will continue to be.

Thanks again for the insight and inspiration!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:08

Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

A good friend always tells me that the next year is going to pass whether I do anything or not, so how do I want to be in 7/2004 and what am I going to do to get there?

Think about why you want to do this. Remind yourself that you want to live a long and healthy life. Write notes. Journal. And defintely come to the group. Although I'm new to this forum, I'm not new to lc groups. I moderate a couple. I can always tell when someone is struggling and/or cheating, because they don't post.

Motivation comes from within but we can help. So look at yourself in the mirror completely stark naked. Tell yourself that you are beautiful because you are. Then tell yourself that you are worth whatever it takes to be healthy.

Plan your meals for the week in advance. If possible, get out every drop of non-lc food and give it away. If possible, try and cook meals in advance and/or use a crockpot. I find that the less thinking I have to do, the easier. I make sausage muffins sometimes on Saturday to eat during the week and freeze them. Then just pop out one and breakfast is taken care of. Next I buy some romaine and baby spinach. I tear up the romaine in advance and also grill up chicken for the week. So breakfast and lunch is taken care of. Then for dinner I make it as simple as possible. When I can I use the crockpot. Then dinner is waiting on me.

Hollar if you need help and feel free to im and email me personally.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 20:33
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

You just need to do it one day at a time. Tell yourself you can stick to this way of eating for today and you'll worry about tomorrow later. Whenever I think about how far I still need to go, I start to get discouraged and discouragement can lead to slip ups. Focus on today and focus on your achievements. I really does get easier as you do this longer.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 20:12

BF:
Smile Thank you three for the posts...

Yes, one day at a time.

I recognize that I really need to take a strong look at where my commitment is to this WOE. In the last week I have made a good attempt to journal daily, not only food intake but how I feel about myself and what I am trying to accomplish.

My best friend had a baby yesterday (a sweet little girl) and she has 55lbs. to lose - knowing her she will do it as she did before. So I am going to hitch myself to that wagon and draw some inspiration from her. I keep thinking - this time I can, I can, I can!

Thanks for the words of wisdom.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 07:27
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Yes -- you can! Perhaps you should buy your friend with the new baby a copy of "The Little Engine That Could" (I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!) and read it yourself!

I find that journaling thoughts is more important than journaling food intake. So much of doing this is getting into the proper mindset, and at least for me (I'm a person who has always thought better when I get my thoughts into written words), journaling how I feel about losing weight while I am doing it helps me stay focused on why I want to lose the weight.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 09:56

BF:

One my way out for my morning stretch and walk - beautiful day here, sunny and warm - just like I feel! Thanks for the thoughts....I'll be sure to stay in touch!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 10:46

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi there,
It is one day at a time, and for me...often, in the beginning it was one minute at a time. I do find this forum one of the best places for finding support...and the people here actually know what you are saying, and understand, as opposed to many others that nod, and say they understand, but truly don't because they have not been here with us...fighting the same demons, and bad habit.
May I suggest that you start a journal here?? It is a wonderful way to keep in touch, and as Liz said ahead of me, one of the best ways to focus sometimes is to write it down. And then, we can pop in and see how things are..and you should feel free to go into others journals as well.
Now, an aside...my maiden name is Marshall...and I live over here in Victorial...might we be related???
Talk to you soon I hope...and I really do urge you to start a journal here...
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 23:04

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Just remeber the getting up is WAY more important that falling off. =D
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 06:02
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

Hey I just wanted to send a message from a not so perfect LC'er. I feel like I'm a person who always struggles with being perfect on a program and wonder how others can have so much will power. I'm not saying I'm eating pints of ice cream wondering why havent I lost any weight. Just saying with this not being a LC society sometimes its hard to LC when you haven't planned well. I have been put into many situations when I failed to have LC options. But, I do get back up on my horse the next meal I have and look forward to LC'ing again because I feel better while on it, not very hungry and it makes the scale move down not up. We can't tell you what your motivation should be but all I know is that I want to live to raise my 2 little girls and have the energy to keep up with them. Plus I've always wanted to do this for me..so this time I know I can do it. Good luck to you and know we all are here for you!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:23

BF:

Once again the best support anyone could ask for! Several of my friends are hugely supportive but have to admit that there are situations where it can be difficult. Luckily for me I worked around all of them this weekend. I got out both Saturday and Sunday morning for 30 minute walks and stuck to my eating plan.

I am off to NZ and Australia for six weeks at the end of September so my goal is to be in comfortable shape. You know, pants that fit and don't need to be yanked out of places continually and to have the energy and stamina to be a great tourist. I have friends down there that I haven't seen in 10 years so really looking forward to that! I'd love to drop a good 20lbs before sitting on that plane for 13 hours! YUCK!

Thanks again for the lovely thoughts and emails. I promise to continue posting, journaling and walking....