Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 09:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Thumbs down Boo to Booze

I ate pretty well this weekend, which is cool,considering my husband and I threwa huge Memorial Day BBQ. I also didn't drink a single beer, which is impressive for me, especially at a BBQ. (Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff! :doah I did, however, magage to kick myself right out of ketosis with booze--sugar free gin & tonics plus shots of whiskey. I tried not drinking at all for the first two weeks (induction) but it was a lot harder for me than the low carbing itself. I think I'll try limiting myself to only drinking one or two nights a week (weekends.) Has anyone had any sucess (still losing) while indulging in moderate drinking, or will I just have to g cold turkey?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 23:11

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default boo to booze

I think lots of people can lose while drinking moderately. Remember the "drinking man's diet?" just keep the total carbs very low. Also dr bernstein says its ok on his diet to have a low-carb beer or a mixed (sugarless) drink. That's the theory. In practice, for me, it doesn't work. A lifetime of wrestling with depression, currently on prozac, I find that I have iron will power for the diet part - I did Ornish when they said I had to, for a year or more, I do Atkins/Bernstein now, with no cheating, but once I start the social drinking, pretty soon I'm drinking myself to sleep at night, which can't be good.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 15:10

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What is moderate drinking?

Just a reflection---you say, gin and tonicS and shotS of whiskey, and I infer that's a minimum of two of each. And your goal weight is pretty low, which means to me you're probably a woman or a small man, and that starts to be a good bit of liquor.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:50

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Unhappy moderation is my goal

My BBQ drinking was definately not moderete. (yes, the shots of whiskey are a good tip-off.) I'm aiming for two drinks, max, one or two nights a week.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:51

Plan: LC
Stats: 300/199/175
BF:
Progress: 81%

KL, I feel that having one or two drinks once or twice a week WILL slow down your weight loss, but so what? If this is something you enjoy and don't abuse, why not? You realize it will probably slow down the weight-loss process, but maybe on those days, you can sacrifice something else. Just a thought.
B
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 20:07

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default OR JUST MAYBE DRINK......

ONE NIGHT A WEEK - TWO SHOTS, OR TWO GIN & TONICS
and during that day keep a tight control on your carbs or if you go out inpromptu, then curatke your carbs the next day!!

I guess that would be okay as long as you don't wake up the next morning curled up with an EMPTY ABSOLUT bottle-whooops!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:47

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I had 5 or six shots of Vodka the other night in my sugar free drinks and my Ketosis increased! Weird! I think everyone must be different.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:28

Stats: 208/205/150 Female 64 IN
BF:
Progress: 5%

I went and got right flaming drunk at a neighborhood pig roast a week ago (albeit on low-carb drinks). This was a hugely bad idea because I gained two pounds, felt like crap, and feel like I stalled my weight loss (during my best week of the month to lose weight).

Ah well, I only do this about 3 times a year, and I felt so awful I won't be doing it again any time soon!

Boo to booze, indeed!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 08:29

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%

There is another angle here I don't think I've seen mentioned in this thread: self control. Moderate drinking may or may not affect ketosis, I don't have much experience with it one way or the other. But what is the likelihood that drinking would lead lead one to eating too many peanuts or -- gasp! -- popcorn?! I would think that drinking even moderate amounts might screw with one's judgement and lower resistance to carbs of all sorts.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:26

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawrence
I ate pretty well this weekend, which is cool,considering my husband and I threwa huge Memorial Day BBQ. I also didn't drink a single beer, which is impressive for me, especially at a BBQ. (Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff! :doah I did, however, magage to kick myself right out of ketosis with booze--sugar free gin & tonics plus shots of whiskey. I tried not drinking at all for the first two weeks (induction) but it was a lot harder for me than the low carbing itself. I think I'll try limiting myself to only drinking one or two nights a week (weekends.) Has anyone had any sucess (still losing) while indulging in moderate drinking, or will I just have to g cold turkey?

Not to be too pushy, but maybe you should ask youself why you can't comfortably go 2 weeks without drinking? I used to be like that until I realized that I was dependent on alcohol and I had to stop. I'm not saying you are...I just think someone needs to bring that up to you. This could be more than a losing weight issue. After all, 2 weeks is not a terribly long time to give something up, unless you are addicted.....
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 13:16

Stats: 185/180/125 Female 5 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Social lifestyle

In klawrence's defense, I am discovering that no booze can be a difficult thing when you live a very social life. I have been trying to get through induction now for about a month but have been sidetracked due to 2 weddings, a wine party ( sipped half a glass for 3 hours!), and an Irish funeral. I have had no problem eating out about 2 dozen times without ordering a drink nor attending my weekly softball games and saying "no thanks" but it can be tough. I am avoiding a Halloween party Friday and have turned down multiple invites for drinks after work with my friends due to this diet.

I say 1-2 drinks 1-2 nights a week does not an addiction make!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 15:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspider1

I say 1-2 drinks 1-2 nights a week does not an addiction make!

I agree with you there. But if you really felt like you WANTED to go 2 weeks without drinking because it would help you achieve something that is very important to you (like weight loss for example) and you found that you COULDN'T--that MIGHT an addiction make!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

In my experience saving indulgences for once a week, or once every two weeks, rather than having a little bit every night or every other night works. If you need alcohol THAT much (am not going to lecture on addiction, I'm sure enough people will) then save it for once a week. No more. It makes it easier to say no to everything when you have a clear date where you know that you can indulge and it's not forever...this really helps when everyone is eating or drinking and trying to make you do the same.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 18:35

BF:

Hey everybody! I really wasn't trying to lecture anyone. I was just trying to give klawrence some food for thought....
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I wasn't really referring to you, komireds - sorry if it came across that way.... just referring to how often you'll have 5, 6, 7 people jumping on someone and accusing/lecturing them of having some sort of problem or disorder when really they're just trying to find a way to have their cake and maybe eat a little bit of it too I was assuming that it would eventually happen in this thread.

take care,
Meg