Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 05:59

Plan: TSP
Stats: 142/140/112 Female 61'
BF:
Progress:
Cool Good morning

Wanted to stop in and say hi!!! My name is Misty and I am new on TSP. Has been 3 days. I have to say - this is a wonder WOE!!! I haven't missed the sugar or breads - yet!!!!

I do have on question - I am not a huge fan of eggs or oatmeal. I have been eating them the last few mornings but would like a change of pace. What does everyone eat when they are sick of eggs? I have seen recipes for low-carb muffins - has anyone made any and if so, how do the taste?

Have a great day!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:15
Registered Member

Plan: shwarzbein II
Stats: 174/???/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Misty,

WELCOME!!
I love the SP WOE too.....

As far as eggs go -- you could substitute with chicken or turkey breast -- or nitrate free bacon. Along with veg and a carb of course. haha
I haven't tried to make low-carb muffins just yet, but have made low-carb breads and pancakes. At first it's kind of strange but once you get use to them they are actually very tasty. I use a combo of wheat and soy flour, along with flax seeds..... it's pretty good.........

welcome to SP woe.
cristin
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:20

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 115/115/115
BF:
Progress:

Hi Misty!

Welcome to the TSP woe and the forum. I haven't been here long but love the people here. I have gotten some really great ideas from them.

Cris, have you found nitrate free bacon that isn't sugar cured? I haven't been able to find the combo of the two. I think someone said you have to ask the butcher for it and can't find it prepackaged? Maybe I'll try this next time I go to Whole Foods.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 120/125/ Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Cicely,

Whole Foods has been my answer to nitrate free meats. They do carry nitrate free/no sugar bacon. That's one thing I havne't had a problem with.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:28
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

My recent breakfast treat has been a piece of kamut bread (I can't eat wheat) or any hearty bread, buttered (or not), some sliced meat, tomato slices & bell pepper rings, top with cheese and place under broiler till cheese is melted. Remove and drizzle with olive oil. Use bread and meat sizes to meet the plan you're on. It's totally flexable and a perfect SP meal!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:43
Registered Member

Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

One thing I like about Schwarzbein is not needing to make special, low-carb breads. She emphasizes the need to eat real, whole foods, and I'm convinced that good breads qualify. Maybe this works better for me, because I have a grain mill and make all our breads from fresh, whole flour. I use no sweetener in pancakes or waffles, and a small amount of honey in my basic bread. I've calculated the carbs and this is how they come out:

1 oz. slice bread: 12.5 g carb (Honey accounts for less than 1 g.), 2.5 g protein
1 4" pancake: 15 g carb, 4 g protein
1 4" waffle: 11 g carb, 3 g protein
Tortilla: 17 g carb, 3.2 g protein
Pita: 16.5 g carb, 3.3 g protein

The carbs in muffins can be reduced significantly just by reducing or eliminating the sugar (subbing stevia.) I'm baking for my whole family, and usually use a little honey; I just don't make them cupcake sweet, which so many muffins seem to be these days. My muffins usually come in at around 23 g each, varying a bit by type. Subbing stevia for the honey would take them down to around 20, or a bit less for some types.

I realize that none of these things are single-digit low, but I find I can fit them into a balanced plan very nicely. Perhaps I run counter to the good doctor a bit here, but no one will ever convince me that bread is "unnatural," unhealthy, or overprocessed by definition. I'm glad to moderate my consumption -- when there's fresh bread in the house on a regular basis there's serious temptation to overdo. (You haven't had pitas until you've had them straight from the oven!) But I love the stuff, and remain convinced that it can be one of the most complete and balanced foods available.

On breakfast in general, cottage cheese was a great find for me. I used to hate the stuff, but find I like it now, and it's got loads of protein. Cottage cheese and berries wrapped in a swedish pancake (like an eggy crepe) has been a favorite treat lately, coming in at 25 g carb.

I also like yogurt smoothies, but need some lower carb ideas, there.

Happy hunting,
Beth
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 21:31

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi,

Hang in there and just remember you don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. Sometimes I have breakfast foods for dinner, and dinner foods for breakfast.

I made some low carb "muffins" but altered the recipe so that they have everything I need to eat in one convenient little package. They are like crustless quiche with onions, spinach, cottage cheese, soy flour, eggs. I think they are really low carb. I will try to post the recipe soon in the recipe section.

deb
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:13

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

my morning meal i sometimes french meadow sprouted bread (frozen at wholefoods) 15g carbs, plus almond butter and silk milk. Maybe a cheese toast with fresh basil (yum!).

JInx
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 20:09
Registered Member

Stats: 178/174/155 Female 170 centimetres
BF:
Progress: 17%

I just made a fantastic crustless spinach and mushroom quiche from D's first book. It tastes wonderful, and no carbs! I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.