Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:47
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default POLL: Help me research a low-carb magazine

I don't know how to do a real "poll," so if you all would just answer these questions I'd be eternally grateful. I'm conducting some research for my employer, a publisher, about the possibility of launching a low-carb magazine.

1. Would you purchase/subscribe to a full-color, glossy magazine about the low-carb lifestyle?

2. Which would you prefer: Monthly (12 times per year), Bimonthly (6 times per year) or Quarterly (4 times per year)?

3. Which of the following would you prefer to read about:
Recipes/Cooking
Success Stories
Product Reviews
Exercise and Fitness
Other (please describe)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

If it wasn't too expensive I probably would. I would prefer monthly, it would help to keep me motivated! I would mostly be interested in recipies (with pictures), cooking hints/tips. I think I would like it most if it was modled after shape magazine, but more cooking, less exercise (like they have a few reader success stories, a few pages of new products, but mostly exercise and some cooking.) reverse exercise and cooking and you would have a great magazine!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:57

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Yes I would probably buy one.

Either quarterly or monthly, preference is monthly.

All of the subjects listed should be in the magazine. You also need a hints and tips section (stalls, etc.) and perhaps a What's New? section that tells us about new low carb products and where they are available... in Canada!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 14:47

Stats: 188/179/140
BF:
Progress: 19%

If the price was right, I would subscribe. I would like to see all the topics you mentioned in the mag, and maybe tips, FAQs, a section for women's issues (TOM effects, during perimenopause, after menopause, etc).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:08
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

I would probably buy, and would add a section on validation - medical studies and such.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:09
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Yes, yes!!
I would love to see a LC mag! I would buy it/subscribe.
Monthly would be great.
Recipes and cooking would be great.
Success stories would be great, especially if they addressed real-world issues that we all encounter.
Also, a "Where to Find" page that highlights stores/restaurants that carry low-carb products would be a fun and helpful feature.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 16:41

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I think a LC magazine would be a great idea. Monthly for sure. Include all the items you mentioned plus

highlight different LC plans-one each month

not only where to find but real research on the lest expensive places to buy (include shipping in total costs)

interviews with doctors and other medical professionals who support LC

information on how to make this a lifestyle; not a way to lose weight

information on addiction-some of us are addicted to carbs and have a very difficult time accepting it

carb creep and how to avoid it

just read the posts in forums like this and you will have all the issues to address in articles you will ever need.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 16:47
Registered Member

Stats: 191/168/120 Female 5'4
BF:losing 50 in 2004
Progress: 32%

1. Would you purchase/subscribe to a full-color, glossy magazine about the low-carb lifestyle?
Yes

2. Which would you prefer: Monthly (12 times per year), Bimonthly (6 times per year) or Quarterly (4 times per year)?
Monthly

3. Which of the following would you prefer to read about :
Recipes/Cooking
Success Stories
Product Reviews
Exercise and Fitness
All of the above... and I agree to the medical research too...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 22:06

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

YES!!!!!

Monthly

All of the above
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 22:23

Plan: modified -no red meat
Stats: 191/188/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

1. Would you purchase/subscribe to a full-color, glossy magazine about the low-carb lifestyle? depends on price

2. Which would you prefer: Monthly (12 times per year),

3. Which of the following would you prefer to read about :
Recipes/Cooking
Success Stories
Product Reviews
Exercise and Fitness
Other (please describe)
ALL
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:23

Plan: CKD
Stats: 172/181/190 Male 5'9"
BF:20/12/9
Progress:

Many of the responses so far have been implicitly assuming the mag would a sort of "diet" mag, but I would prefer that fat loss/diet should be just a section in the mag.

Monthly is probably too often, quarterly is more realistic to ensure decent indepth articles.

Definitely should have a medical section.

Probably couldn't buy it as I'm in Japan though.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 01:58

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

We will all buy it. Seriously. Tell your publisher that. TELL THEM ALL!

Yeah, I'd also prefer if it has less of a "diet" angle and more of a "health" angle. Great ways to incorporate LC eating into everybody's lives. A mix of information for newcomers as well as new tidbits for long time LCers.

RECIPES- a must! Week-long menus of the popular plans would also be good.
Nutrition articles about the benefits of certain foods. Like an article all about avocado! And lots of articles about how fat's not bad.
Current research also a must.
Interviews with low-carb gurus regarding their plans. Comparisons of popular plans in an in-depth manner.
A de-bunking the myths section is would also be good. Non low-carbers may want to be converted.
I like the idea of product reviews too.
And success stories would help the mag sell.

Please let us know if this idea is picked up. I bet you could arrange advertisement on this site as well. Great consumer base to start with.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 03:40
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamito
Yeah, I'd also prefer if it has less of a "diet" angle and more of a "health" angle. Great ways to incorporate LC eating into everybody's lives. A mix of information for newcomers as well as new tidbits for long time LCers.

I doubt I would subscribe-since i don't subscribe to any magazine-but I would look for it at the grocery store and at Border's. I like the montly idea. Actually, I like the idea of a magazine!

I also agree with Skamito here. I would like to see articles on exercise and ways to incorporate and live an lc life. How to deal with restaurants, how to travel and maintain lcing, articles on maintenance-not just losing weight. I would also personally appreciate maybe a small column on vegetarian lcing.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 07:14
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

You all have great ideas. What I'm envisioning is something similar to Cooking Light, if you've ever read that magazine. This mag would focus on the low-carb lifestyle, NOT the diet alone. I'd want to include exercise and fitness articles, recipes, etc. I have a brilliant vision in my head, but convincing my publisher and getting it worked out on paper is a long, tough process.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:00

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Wonder if you could get some awsome advertising backing. Netrition, Atkins, E-Diets, etc. They are all over the web - but hitting paper would include a whole new set of consumers.