Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:45

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%
Question Eating over my calorie limit???

Could someone please help me out here...Today I calculated my incoming calories at about 1800...but my current weight calculations for my calorie maximum limit says 1440 and my goal weight calculations for my caloried max is 1368. Can anyone tell me at this rate will I gain if I continue to eat like this or not?
Thank you ,
Jess
Plus, I am not even sure what my calories should be......either 10-12X GOAL weight or Currrent weight in order to lose....please help...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 20:34

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

If you are eating the Atkins way you should not count calories. You should eat often (4-5 times a day) and as much as you need to feel satisfied. The caloric intake changes from day to day based on what we do, how we feel, etc. On Atkins your body will "tell you" how much to eat. It works, try it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 20:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

it seems that everyone has a different opinion, but here's mine:
I use 10-12 x goal weight to calculate my target calories/day.
using your numbers above, I make my incoming calories closer to the 1400 level and be sure to exercise at least a little bit so that you use an extra 100-200 cal/day in that way.

3500 cal in a lb ~ 700/wk (exersice) = 5 days to lose a pound (at 1400 incoming calories).

that's how I would figure it but like I said, that's my opinion, not a fact.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:09

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I started to collect some quotes from DANDR, and just gave up...Dr. Atkins makes the point dozens of times throughout the text: there is no need to count calories. One quote is worthwhile:

"I cannot stress strongly enough that trying to do a low-fat version of Atkins will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss." (p.127, DANDR, 2002-20th ed. pbk.)

Throw your calorie counter away. Trust that your carb counter and a couple of gallons of water are all you need. It's hard to take it on faith, but it really does work that way! (I don't need to take this on faith...I used it more than 20 years ago...it worked for me then...and it still does.)

Last edited by geo53562 : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 23:14.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:18

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm with the "don't count calories" crowd. The only thing looking at my calories has ever given me is a headache!

Start listening to your body and trust when you are full. It does actually work.

I wouldn't believe it either, but alas. Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 01:38

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I'm another 'leave the calorie counting to the low cal low fat crowd'. Using fitday got me too stressed over how many cals I was eating so I just went back to the good Doctor's advice and count my carbs and water intake only.

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 03:57
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I do use fitday and have noticed that sometimes my calories go way above 10-12x my goal or current weight. There are days when I eat 1600 calories or more. You know what? Hasn't stopped my weight loss at all. Some days my body needs more calories than other days. I agree with listen to your body and just make sure your carbs are down.

I do think the 10-12x calorie suggestion is for the MINIMUM number of calories you need anyway. People usually make that suggestion for people who don't eat enough to help them break out of of their old low fat/low calorie thinking.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 05:23

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I agree that counting calories is nothing more than a headache! During a slowdown period I was using fitday and counting every little thing. Guess what? It didn't help me lose any weight. All it did was make me obsess any time I didn't hit the exact calorie/carb/fat percentage ranges on a daily basis. Now I just eat food, drink water, exercise and lose weight. Life is so much simpler this way
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 06:18

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%

thanks for all the replys everyone, yes I admit I have obsessed over fitday and I end up feeling guilty about my calories....No more of that...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:47

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Good for you! Fitday is a great tool when you're just starting out... but once you've got a handle on carb counts, I'm sure you will do fine without it.

I usually only use it now to calculate a new recipe. I know carb counts in my head pretty well.

Good luck all!