Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 23:50

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%
Default low-carb bread=cheating???

i have starting using low-carb bread products and can't help but feel like i am cheating. i started making sandwiches out of low-carb bread and rolls, using low-carb tortillas for tacos and buritos, and also eating the keto cereals with unsweetened soy milk. has anybody found these things to trigger cravings or stall you out?? just wondering...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 02:53
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I have some low carb bread. Love it. I only eat one slice at a time, though and try not to eat it every day. At first, it did feel like cheating, but as I continued to lose weight, I got over it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:58

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

This is my take on LC Baked goods: If you eat them daily and you notice your wieght loss slowing down or totally stopping...than treat this as a "cheat" and curtail your consumption by at least 50%. Same goes for SF candies .... anything you eat too much of can be a "cheat" in terms of weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 09:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Low carb bread

I have found Nature's Own low carb bread to be really great. It has 7 g. of total carbs per slice, but 2 g. of fiber, so only 5 g. net carbs per slice. I like having a slice with my eggs in the morning - kind of an egg open-faced sandwich. It has been a really great find!

Now, the way I look at this issue is that - I am wanting to eat this way as a WOL. That means that it has to be a livable way of eating. If I am continuing to lose weight while eating my low-carb bread (or tortillas or whatever), even if it slows my weight-loss just a bit, it makes it easier to stay on this WOE for the long haul. So, it isn't cheating if it makes you better able to stay on program overall.

Now, that having been said, if you are not eating these products in moderation or you are finding that you are not losing weight, then it might be a good idea to limit your intake of these foods. I have not found that a slice of bread makes me crave other stuff, but I guess that varies person to person. Of course, if these things send you into carb cravings, then it is sensible to either dramatically limit them or not use them at all. But if you are eating them sensibly and they are making it easier for you to stay on the program, then it isn't a cheat, it is a blessing!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 08:59

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

thanks for all the good replys. it may just be the reason i have been slowing down lately. and i thought it was the fruit. well, it may have been too much of both!!