Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Losing My Gut

OK I need some exercise for loosing my gut! Please help me i have lost 33 lbs but my gut is still there!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:58

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

there is no way to traget a specifit area to lose fat. You will have to lose weight and eventually your body will decide that the gut is next to go.

Abs workout will help develop the muscles on your abs, but with the fat hiding them you will not see a difference.
You are doing well on your diet, just stick to it, and eventually it will all come off..
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:10

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I'm having the same problem and was about to ask that very same question. LOL. I've been doing Pilates and it's worked great for my upper tummy. But the lower sag is still there. Arie is probably right about losing that fat first. I just hope it goes soon. LOL

~Angi~
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%

I know how ya feel, I've lost 50 pounds and still have a gut in porpotion th the rest of my body. take advantage of it though and start doing ab excersises as it's alot easier to turn fat into mucle then it is the just build muscle after you guts gone. then when the gut does go you'll have a six pack. oh yeah!
I keep hearing from everyone that those excersise balls are great for your abs, and cheaper than a machine or somethin
good luck
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:16
Registered Member

Stats: 160/160/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default small note

fat cells are fat cells and you never lose them, they simply shrink. muscle is muscle.

And Arie is correct, just keep losing fat and you'll be fine. I'd suggest working your abs at this weight since it will be similar to using a barbell or weight plate once you lose all you want. you'll just be ahead of the game when it happens. you're doing fine.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:36

Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirk182
fat cells are fat cells and you never lose them, they simply shrink. muscle is muscle.

And Arie is correct, just keep losing fat and you'll be fine. I'd suggest working your abs at this weight since it will be similar to using a barbell or weight plate once you lose all you want. you'll just be ahead of the game when it happens. you're doing fine.

I don't think the fat cells thing applys to me because I am not fully grown yet I am 16
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:41

Stats: 170/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 54%

your fat cells were laid down when you were a baby. when you lose weight they just empty out... think of them as tiny little ziplock baggies... on Atkins, you're undoing the ziplock and letting the fat out.... but the fat cells themselves are still there... they never go away.

abdominal crunches, straight out, or using a ball... don't forget to do 'lats' (sideways) so that you work everything.

wait a minute... if you're sixteen, you're still in high school. go talk to your gym teacher and ask for help with a workout plan. think of it as a free trainer!

saw your before and after pics... you look great!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:42

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Found this on http://home.howstuffworks.com/fat-cell1.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fat cells are formed in the developing fetus during the third trimester of pregnancy, and later at the onset of puberty, when the sex hormones "kick in." It is during puberty that the differences in fat distribution between men and women begin to take form. One amazing fact is that fat cells do not multiply after puberty -- as your body stores more fat, the number of fat cells remains the same. Each fat cell simply gets bigger!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's lots more info there about how fat works.

The thing is, at 16, your fat cells have reached their final number already. All you need to do is shrink them back down again, using exercise and diet. They WILL go away for you! Lots of sit ups, leg raises (says hubby, fitness guru) and get some swimming in too if you can.

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:46

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

I lost 33 pounds also and still have a gut problem. I have heard that walking is the best way to get rid of it. I have been walking daily since the start of my program and my stomach has been shrinking ever since. I also do situps and crunches. I think it will take a long time to be flat like I would like. So keep working at it. Im not going to give up!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 16:14
Registered Member

Stats: 160/160/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default sit ups, etc

there is no way to spot reduce fat minus lyposuction and I wouldnt advise that either. lol. Only way is to reduce your bf % to its optimal level. Only you will be able to determine that. So, find a great aerobic exercise to do at least 3 times a week for about 30 mins or so at least. Also, do some anaerobic exercises for short periods to get your heart rate way up there which has been proven to promote your HDH levels which is a hormone that burns serious fat as well as a lot of other good attriubutes. Im sure theres some info on this site about it. If not Ill post one here for you. gl.