Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Thanks for the insite, Geo. I have cautioned Mom not to expect miracles too early in the diet and she's agreed, but I think a part of her is still hoping for some improvement. Human nature, isn't it?

She doesn't usually suffer from "white coat syndrome" (that's my step Dad's problem--his BP is normal, until he's in front of any new doctor).

I've suggested a cuff monitor to her before, particularly because several weeks go by between doctors appointments. So far, she's said no to the idea. Sometimes I think she suffers from "head in the sand" syndrome. Or maybe she just doesn't want me to know how bad it is. Up till now at least, she claims not to even know her actual BP numbers. When I ask her, she just tells me the doctor says it's "too high" or "very high" and she didn't think to ask what the actual numbers were.

Whatever the numbers were when she went to the doctor a month or so ago, they were bad enough to convince her to make a real effort to lose weight and, thankfully, my success with lowcarb gave her a little more confidence that it was possible this time.

Thanks again for your suggestions. It does help a lot.

judy

Last edited by jude : Tue, Jul-22-03 at 22:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/220/165 Female 5'8"
BF:41/?/?
Progress: 51%

I was on Atenelol (beta-blocker) and gained 40 lbs in 6 months! Everyone is different I guess, but my Dr. changed me to Cardizem LA and the very same day I started LCing - also, after having my thyroid checked every year for 3 years in a row with no problem (you can never stop wishing - a fat girl's dream I call it! :0) he checked my thyroid that day and put me on a replacement - I cheered! Anyway, I have now lost about 35 lbs (my stats aren't right, I don't have a good scale) since May 7th. I'm convinced that the Atenelol had something to do with it. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get the next 80 lbs off! :0) I'll just keep LCing and smiling!

Good luck to your Mom....

Abby
(farmgirl1)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 19:25

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Jude---I'm aleka and have been on Atkins since May 9th of this year. When I started, my Blood pressure was very high At times 202/117. I tookToprol 50mg twice a day. My medication is a Beta-Blocker and I really feel it has slowed my weight loss some---but After about 6 weeks on Atkins I was able to stop one of the pills and I had to quit taking arthritis meds because we found that each time I took them My blood pressure would skyrocket. Now after about 3 months on the diet and 25 pounds lighter my blood pressure stays down. I am still on one pill daily but hope to get off of it as soon as my doc says it is ok to. Tell your Mom to hang in there and congratulations for doing Atkins!!! It really works.! Aleka ps. For my arthritis, and back fractures I take msm/condroitin/glucosamine/motrin/ (can be bought over the counter) and a muscle relaxer prescribed by my doc. Bye
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 20:52

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I have been on Prinivil/Lisinopril for about 1 1/2 years for spilling protein in my pee. This blood pressure drug stops me from spilling the protein therefore protecting my kidneys from further damage caused by diabetes.

Anyway, as of today I am off the medication because my right kidney has been aching at night and since all of the tests (urine, xrays and an mri) came back negative, I can only assume it's this pill. (since my symptoms started when I started taking it--but have gotten worse lately).

I've been on Atkins since June 25th and have only lost 5 pounds, so I am very anxious to see if by dropping this medication if the weight will just fall off. I've been 100% faithful in these 50 days. Who knows, maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and be down another 10 pounds! (I wish!)

I will be going on another blood pressure pill (Cozaar), but I am taking a 3 month hiatus to see if this kidney stops hurting. I can't find anything that shows Prinivil causes weight gain or slows down loss---does anybody know for sure out there?

"T"