Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 277/267/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Craving, craving, craving

I have entire days lost in carbo craving. I can't believe how obsessed I can be.

Any tricks to get over it? I refused to give in to bagel obsession this morning and I have no carbs to speak of in the house (induction vegies are only carbs at home). But my mind and body is screaming for crabs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 13:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You did great to resist. Bagles are some of the worst for carbs there are. Atkins recomends a suppliment to help, I think it's L-Glutamine (sp)

Make sure you are eating enough acceptable foods, and having enough fat to really fill you up. Use fitday to help www.fitday.com

The cravings really do go away or at least lesson the longer you stick to this WOE and don't cheat. Cut out any SF candies, protien bars or other sweeter things that could contribute to cravings. You might also want to make sure you aren't eating so much protien that it's causing a gluclose reaction.

When the cravings hit, find a high fat/protien snack to have. A piece of chicken, tuna, 1/2 avacado ect. Also keep busy and distract yourself. Take a walk, clean or do something else active. Above all just have patience and hang in there. Remember a cheat only makes the cravings worse
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 15:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Well, then go eat those crabs already!

Honestly try to think of bagels as a big ball of gluttony gunk just sitting in your stomach. It gives me heartburn just thinking about it! To combat the cravings try tuna or egg salad on celery, and make sure to add lots of mayo. For some reason that always works for me. Fixing a good, high calorie lowcarb meal also does the trick, or a beef frank (Hebrew National or Nathens are my fave).
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 00/00/00
BF:
Progress: 0%

twice today, i would have almost seriously hurt someone for a coke. i've been drinking water and drinking water to hopefully leave no room for a coke. hopefully, tomorrow will be better. i haven't given in though!

amy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:11

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

To combine what I've heard from members of this forum - take a good long hard look at that food that is tempting you - will it taste better than wearing that pair of jeans goal size will feel????

Drink water and eat something high fat, protein like a burger or steak with some salad or veggies with a cheesy dressing, take in the taste of how good this is - do you really want to be sat there facing a massive bowl of dressing free salad?????
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 11:22

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Craving, vs eating.

I've lost entire days actually EATING the stuff I'm craving, so I can't complain when all I do is think about it. It feels bad, but not as bad as the hangover from consumption.

One day at a time. Sometimes, it's one hour at a time. I'm not going to eat that RIGHT NOW. So what else can I do for an hour? And then I get caught up in something else.

Move a muscle, change a thought.

HALT--hungry angry lonely tired--also helps. When I'm in any of those states, mood-altering food sure seems like a better idea than at other times. Treat the emotion.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 277/267/160
BF:
Default Thanks for the support

Today, I haven't craved carbs yet.

When I do crave them, I do eat low carb foods but sometimes I can be completely stuffed and still crave carbs.

Not today. Yea!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 21:49
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Doitnow - The longer you can stick with this WOE the easier it gets. The cravings really well lessen and almost disapear

Don't cheat, that will only make the cravings worse. Stay away from bars, shakes, SF chocolate and other legal sweet things until you have teh cravings under control. It is better to endulge in an allowed sweet then to grab a cookie, but sometimes any sweet tasting thing can trigger massive cravings. You can do this, you are already doing great
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 00:17

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:

Hi there,
I was having major carb cravings lately and I started seeing an accupuncturist and taking chromium picholinate. This has really helped me.
Just my own experience
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 09:13

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Another option

I have found that eating one of those pre-packaged string cheeses helps with cravings. They are great because they are in one ounce servings so you can monitor your intake, and if you are really hungry you can have two without blowing the program. Of course, my personal cravings are usually for something crunchy/salty, and I find that pork skins generally do the trick!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: ADKINS
Stats: 185/183/165
BF:
Progress: 10%

Yes...string cheese really helps me too. I also eat black olives or brocolli with ranch dressing.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 18:09

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

i know it is generally advised to avoid the imitations of what you want, but when i get a craving for carbs, i have a carb solution or endulge bar. i make sure i have somethign else with it- just to make sure im not hungry afterwards, and it really satisfies me. if that isn't available, i have somethign spicy. for some reason, spicy just gets rid of the need for any sort of food. good luck getting rid of those cravings.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:13

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I find a diet Hansen's soda cures my sweet tooth.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 08:54
Registered Member

Stats: 215/179/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm a departure from the norm I guess

I have scheduled cheats I didn't cheat while on induction however. Scheduling like a serving of ice cream once a week (ice cream is the only one I really crave), really helps my willpower and makes me feel undeprived. And, at least for me, reduces my cravings since I had a "taste" of it. Others may be different since a carbo load may induce more cravings.

Plus it helps I found some ice cream brands where a 1/2 cup serving is 14 grams of carbs

Low carbing since 5/23/03
The Firm exercise series believer

Last edited by BeeDott : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 08:57.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 08:58

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Try the Atkins Ice Cream?

Saw mention of the new LC icecream on one of the other lists--people were saying it was pretty good.

Available at Super WalMart.