Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/145/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 6%
Unhappy This isn't working!

ok so I am starting week for of induction since I only lost two pounds the first two weeks. I am ready to just quit this whole thing! My eating is better than it was the first two weeks and I have been slowly but surely gaining. I think this last week I gained 2.5 - 3 pounds. I am frustrated beyond belief and now have no idea which way to go with this. I am afraid if I change to some different plan that I am going to gain because its not Atkins and my body will freak at over new food and gain more weight. This is the most I have ever weighed, for some this may not be much but for me its more than I can handle right now. My self esteem is plummeting which is not a good thing when a person is graduating school and getting ready to take their Massage Board exams.
Damnit anyway....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:16

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

First, congratulations on the loss. And why are you ready to quit? If you keep this up that will be 4 lbs the 2 week induction period. You are right on target. Typically you lose 10% of the total you need to lose. So in your case if you need to lose 20 lbs than 2 lbs for 2 weeks is what you will lose...you are ahead of the game.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:24
Registered Member

2 pounds in four weeks is on target? I lost 2 the first week, that was three weeks ago, since then I have gained 4-5.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Some people just can't handle the sugar alcohols in the candies - you might be one of them. Others can't handle the diet soda. (I've been peeking in your journal, LOL). Everything Yvonne said above is true, 10 % is about the standard 2 week loss. Another thing is where you might be in your cycle - it is not unusual to hold on to water before your TOM. Hang in there!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:26

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Don't give up.

See all that I've lost? And this Wednesday will be 1 MONTH since I started Atkins. Oh sure, I thought about giving up, but I'm so glad I didn't. Some people just don't lose as fast as others and that's all there is to it.

I lost NOTHING for the first 2 weeks---in fact, the 4 pounds I did lose I just lost in the past week. Plus I haven't done my measurements this week yet, but I think I'm losing inches. The bottom of my shorts are not touching my legs in which they're usually so tight I can't move.

Please don't give up. It's a great way of eating. Maybe you just need to use Fitday.com and write down what you've been eating? Maybe you need to tweak your plan a little? Add some more fat, etc.

We are here for you everyday...whenever you need someone to talk to. Don't be down on yourself---you're a GREAT person!!

"T"
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:35
Registered Member

Its ok that my journal was peaked at, thats why I put it up! I need to post yesterdays entry as well. Part of me feels like I am just starting to get in the groove of things and giving up now is stupid, another part of me is just frustrated. So for the next week I am going to stop the sugar free chocolates, and alcohol and see what happens. My TOM is coming up so that could be the reason for the gain?
Thanks for the support ladies
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:38

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I am pre-TOM too...just stay away from the sodium during this week..it will help with the bloat.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Yes, TOM can do it big time - it is just water weight and usually a day or two after you start it will go away. Many women fluctuate 3-5 pounds at this time, plus the PMS tends to add to their frustration. Hang in their!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:41
Registered Member

OH! can soemone explain to me why my scale maybe going up but my BF% went down by 4%? My scale can determine body fat as well as weight and my BF went down, so this weight mean muscle gain?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:42

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi,
I am kind of in the same boat as you. I am a very slow loser. I expected to lose quickly since I have so much to lose but that aint happenin!! I am not giving up though and I do not cheat. As a matter of fact, I just got back from vacation in DC and I bet I walked at least 50 miles while I was there and did I lose anything??? Nope but I am still going to plug right on through. I have lost 10 lbs. in the last month and hope to do at least that again. Time just seems to move slow. Hang in there!!

Donnie
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 10:31

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Weight Up + BF% down = muscle gain! Congrats!

You may want to get a tape measure out, and do some measurements - because it sounds like you are losing inches!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 10:43
Registered Member

Thats one of those weird positives. Yippee you've gained muscle...too bad the scale shows weight gain.
I swear losing weight is the most irritating thing, its a daily issue that is totally at the forefront of my mind.
Moreso lately because I just ran into an ex boyfriend. When I met him I weighted about 165-170, it was after my son was a year old and I was struggling to lose weight. Anyway the company I worked for had a little gym on site and I began working out there a couple of days a week. Then this hottie guy and his friend started working out there also and we would always go at the same time. After awhile I was up to 5 days a week. After about 9 months I was down to 125 and a very tight and toned size 6. I was working out 5 days a week, eating hashbrowns w/ cheese for breakfast, healthy choice for lunch and a normal dinner. This was 3 years ago. Now I've been with my new husband for 2.5 years and gained 20 pounds, so when I ran into my ex I was really embarassed.
So my point is if the other way worked so well for me before why couldn't work now? Because I am over 30 and my metabolism has changed? Because my workout isn't 5 days a week? I know there is a magic formula for me but I just can't figure it out! I am thinking its 5 days a week workout AND lower... what carbs, fat, calories?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 10:49

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

ctywch,

More muscle = Bigger Calorie burning engine!

If you haven't been exercising in the past, this is normal. You body will adjust and once your muscles are prepared, you will begin to lose weight. Just take your time.

Relax, follow the plan, and the weight will come off.

All of our bodies are different and will react different to this way of life, just let your body it at its own pace.

Good luck.
Rick
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:01

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Ctywch,

I'm also one who doesn't have that much to lose (check my stats). I have discovered that in order to lose more than about a half pound a week I have to go easy on the sugar alcohols, Advantage bars, etc. I'm one of those people who don't absorb the sugar alcohols (the laxative effect applies to me), so it's not the extra carbs, but I think it is the extra calories. If you aren't having any gastro-enteric effects from the sugar alcohols then you may be metabolizing the sugar alcohols as carbs. Then you would be getting probably 20+ g of carbs more than you think you're getting each day. Plus you're also getting the extra calories. A double whammy.

Try going on strict, and I mean as in DANDR, induction for a couple of weeks PLUS drink at least 2 liters of water a day, more if you can. And try to intensify your working out a bit. Maybe that will work. But you're most likely not going to lose weight very fast. Those of us in our weight range just have to be patient to lose it slowly and surely.

Good luck

Joan
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 22:00

Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Talking stay with it - It is a lifestyle change taking time

I feel bad about whinning sometimes because there are so many people trying to loose more than 40 lbs. like me. I almost completed 3 weeks of Induction and have not seen the scale move. But, there are other people out there with simular difficulties. Feeling down for myself, I bought the Ketostix this evening at the drug store. I was shocked they were $12.00 for a bottle of 50 strips. I followed the directions and smiled. Although the scale has not budged, the strips show that I am burning stored body fat by Ketosis.

After years and years of eating high-carb as a lifestyle - some of us have to sit in the saddle kicking the horse before it will move.

Best wishes for success!