Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:45

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%
Question Will antibiotics toy with my progress?

Help please!

I am new to TSP and would like to know if anyone has experienced problems while taking a course of antibiotics. I have been low carbing just 4 weeks now, and recently got off all medications except asperin for pain. I was doing very good until Friday at 2 AM when I had a tooth turn bad on me. Got through the night (more or less) taking Vicoden and saw a dentist on Saturday evening. Now I have to take antibiotics for a week.

I know antibiotics always messed up my stomach prior to LC diet and I have been blocked lately anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas for preventing further stomach problems?

Also I gained 2 pounds overnight after taking 3 doses of antibiotics. Do you think this will be temporary?

Any advise will be much appreciated.

deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 22:54

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi, deb. Antibiotics are very tricky. Sometimes they will cause weight-gain, sometimes not. Mostly they cause water retention. One of the best things you can do is eat 8 ounces of whole-milk, plain yogurt daily during your course of antibiotics and for the week following their completion. Not only will it help to prevent the complication of a yeast infection, it should also help your stomach upset.

Antibiotics not only kill the infection, they also kill the beneficial bacteria in your intestinal tract. That's probably why you're having the stomach upset.

I hope this helps,
;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:35
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I'm glad you brought up this anti-biotic question, luckily I havn't needed any for years but did used to notice I gained a couple of pounds while on them - never could figure out why Now I know
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:39

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

DebPenny is right. PLEASE eat your PLAIN (NO SUGAR) yogurt EVERY day and ESPECIALLY every day for AT LEAST a week when you're done with the antibiotics. I even took a super high quality (Jarrow) probiotic last time I took antibiotics (which was the first time in probably a decade) to make sure my "good bacteria" stayed in tact.

You don't want an overgrowth of candida (see candida forum if you're unfamiliar with this). It will drastically increase cravings for sugar, alcohol, and all the stuff that will make you feel like junk. I'm afraid I may be deaing with this myself right now.

Hope your tooth feels better.
Jinx
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 20:21
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Three more thoughts to add to the good information that others posted already.

Make sure your probiotic is of the highest quality you can afford (preferrably a company who makes their assays public). Studies have been done and more often than not the number of live bacteria are grossly under what is advertised b/c many of them had already died off. Even some pharmaceutical grades were guilty of this so your best bet really is a company that will provide you with the details of their analysis.

Also make sure to get an extra strength probiotic when taking antibiotics, not just the regular strength.

Last, make sure to take the probiotic away from the antibiotic (not together). The antibiotic will just kill what you take in.

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 22:01

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%
Smile

Thanks everyone!

You are all so full of it! Good information I mean!
I already know that you all have a good sense of humor from reading your posts, so I know you will take that the right way.

My tooth is feeling better, thank you, the dentist yanked it. It needed a root canal, but I needed to win the lottery first, so no tooth, no pain. C'est la vie. The only problem is that I wont be able to eat any celery for a while and I had been using celery as a bread substitute. Need to find a recipe for celery soup so the bunch in the fridge doesnt go bad.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of probiotics? Where can I check the assays? Do they have these online? What is the best brand on yogurt to buy as far as live cultures?

Sorry I have so many questions. I will be doing some research on this, but if anyone can offer more advise I will feel better about shelling out $$$ at the health food store. Sometimes the clerks there are no help at all so I would rather go in with some knowledge.

Thanks again,
deb

ps just bought Schwarzbein II today, will start reading tomorrow.