Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:36
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question TDC and Fitness Challenges

I've been crusing the Midsummer Madness Fitness Challenge thread and feeling (1) inspired and (2) intimidated. A few of our club members are bravely participating (Go Lessara! Go DarB!) but there aren't a whole lot of people signed up in my 'weight class'. Plus, I'm just not that comfortable posting front, side and back pictures on the internet!

I started thinking what I'd like in a "fitness challenge" ...
  1. A goal that will push my fitness comfort zone without injury.
  2. A reasonable timeline ... short enough to feel attainable and long enough to create some real change. (8 - 12 weeks?)
  3. Instead of counting inches or pounds lost, the idea would be to add time or intensity to my chosen activity in small increments each week.
  4. Support and encouragement from others with a similar focus.
  5. A lot of attention placed on loving the body I have while gaining strength, flexibility and endurance.
What do y'all think? Anyone interested in doing something like this with me? I'd appreciate all comments and ideas.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:42

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default that sounds great!

After reading your post, AntiM, I went and found the Midsummer Madness folks and decided they are out of my league entirely - and no internet pictures of this girl, no way, nohow. Why? I don't know, but there you have it )

I would love to participate in some kind of fitness group. Your point about pushing oneself without injury hit home; Tuesday I walked too far and got blisters, then couldn't walk for 3 days. I am sort of finding my way alone right now and it would be wonderful to have some friends to talk to.

As to how to structure it, I have no idea, but please count me in for whatever anyone comes up with.

I'm getting excited!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 11:29
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'd be happy to participate! With all the real life stress I've been under lately, my gym sessions and exercise have been vanishing. I need some motivation, ASAP.

Count me in!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 16:23

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%

This sounds like a wonderful idea to me. I have in the past joined another fitness challenge and then felt totally out of my league with people who weigh in at 150-175 lbs. So lets get this started..........shall we start a thread just for the challenge???
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 17:54

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%

I dunno how to do it either, but I'm in. I need a little angel on my shoulder poking at me when I don't want to work out but I don't need my all and sundry posted for all to see. Catch me fifty pounds from now but today...? Uh uh. There has to be some sort of structure to it though or we'll get so airy fairy the only work outs we'll be doing is napping All in all not a bad idea....stop me before I snooze again! I'll keep an eye out for your plan or you guys can stop by my journal if you want to kick ideas around. Looking forward to it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 04:48
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Smile Yay!

Hi DusterCat, Breecita, Gotaloseit and Hope1,

I was so glad to see your posts! Let's do this thing! I've been doing a little research, here are my ideas:

I think we should set a start date soon ... I was thinking Friday, July 25th. This will give the other folk from the TDC time to see our thread and join us if they desire.

The last few years, I've been working on only making commitments I can keep. I think I'd like to make a contract with myself for 8 weeks of forward progression (September 5th). How does that sound to everyone? We can always go longer next time ... (see how optimistic I am?!)

This should be our 'brainstorming' thread, and when we're ready to go, I'll start another one in the appropriate forum (Countdowns, Challenges and Buddies).

I agree with everyone that a Challenge needs structure. This is what I propose ...

In our first ‘official’ thread posting, we would make a personal goal statement naming what form of exercise we’re choosing. The time or intensity or distance would reflect where we are right now, fitness-wise. For example, "I will walk 10 minutes everyday”. This would be more than the minimum of what I can accomplish and well within what is do-able. Next week it could be “I will walk 13 minutes a day and do 5 minutes of Physical Therapy for my hip on M, W and F".

Realistically … meeting my goals isn’t about ‘perfection’, it’s more about stamina, perseverance and consistency. I want to end up having made great gains in my physical fitness in eight weeks. Now should I be a victim of alien abduction, I’m not going to stress out that I couldn’t go for my walk that day - but the next morning, I’ll be strapping on the sneakers again.

In our last Challenge posting, we could see how far we’ve come by comparing where we began to where we ended up. Maybe we could even consolidate everyone’s fitness gains and post them to the TDC Forum?!

Finally, I want to focus on loving my body right now. Simply being on a diet, a “WOE” is hard on my body image. Instead of appreciating what I have right now and what I'm doing to improve myself, I focus on what I don’t have and how far from okay I am. I believe large people are inundated with so many messages of fat hatred and disgust that it seeps into our psyches. The act of working on changing my body’s size seems to stir up those deep places, and I’ve got to draw out the poison and nourish my spirit if I want to my total health to improve.

I propose we focus on a different area each week: Arms, legs, head, belly, hips, chest, back torso and the full body. Modifying an exercise from Leslea Newman’s book SomeBody To Love, we’ll remind ourselves about what’s right with our body and pamper ourselves, too.

What do you all think? Anything to add or take away or change? I’m open to any and all suggestions!

Last edited by AntiM : Mon, Jul-21-03 at 04:55.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:13
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

AntiM, may I play the game of getting healthy with you?!

I love the idea of challenges, etc. BUT I am not posting either a before photo (yet) or my stats. I will TRUTHFULLY post my losses. Or gains. (God forbid!) And I will do the 12 weeks faithfully, putting in as much commitment as I have to staying the course in my eating program.

OK. I will jump in headfirst. These goals are for ME and yours are most likely different. I was wounded in Vietnam so my personal "challenges" may seem trite to some. Trust me, THIS will be a major accomplishment for me and my life! (Note: I DID NOT say IF I finish it!)

I commit to 12 weeks beginning TODAY, July 21, 2003 and ending October, 12, to the following:

1) 15 minutes of MORNING stretching 6 days a week (Stretching to the Classics w/ Richard Simmons)
2) using my cardio-Rider every other day working up to 10 minutes STRAIGHT without resting my bad leg.
3) use my "sitting" cardio video tape every other day (Sit Tight w/ Richard Simmons) working up to completeing the whole tape without resting my bad leg.
4) Upper body work out every other day (opposite the cardio)
5) daily walks with the expectation of being able to walk around a complete block without stopping by the end of 12 weeks.

Now this may seem to be either very much or very little. Point is it is my challenge to myself to help me increase my own mobility and help me to get back to doing the things I most enjoy in life. For ME, investing 12 weeks to improve the rest of my life is a real bargain. I WILL DO THIS!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:17

BF:

I agree with your idea's. I also think we should in the spirit of nourishing our souls each set up a "rewards" system for ourselves. Such as if I were to meet my goals for the week I will treat myself to a simple non food item, a manicure, a new pair of shoes etc. each will choose something they want and set that as their "treat". That way we can cheer each other on to our reward day.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Sounds great!

I would love to be a part of this challenge. As of yet, I still have not motivated to start an exercise program. I would love a challenge to get me going.

Echo

P.S. Since Sept 6th is my b'day, it'll be another challenge to get moving!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:21

BF:

And MisterE, you have captured the spirit of this challenge, this isnt about getting a "bikini" body, or in your case a "speedo" body, but pushing yourself up one comfort level in terms of physical movement.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:52

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Exclamation Count me in

I too was intrigued by the Fitness Challenges I've seen here but haven't been able to participate (I don't have a digital camera or photo software, so couldn't post a picture even if I wanted to-- which I don't!).

Exercise has been an important part of my LC journey. But I know from past experience how easy it is to slip back into old habits. I'll have to think about what I would specifically like to accomplish, but am game to start on Friday.

For the length of the challenge, I would vote for 8 weeks. That's just a personal thing for me because school will be back in full swing by then & I will probably have to rearrange my schedule.

I like your suggestion about focusing on different parts of the body ach week, AntiM. I'm not sure how the whole loving-the-body part would work, but am willing to try.

LET'S GO
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 10:53
Pending Member

Stats: 326.5/279/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Definately count me in!! I will be watching to see what the parameters are... thanks for providing those of us in the TDC a way to participate!!!

Patty

BTW-- Mr. E... its sooo nice to see your smiling face now!!! I've got to figure out a way to get a picture in here too...

Last edited by PattyCT : Mon, Jul-21-03 at 10:54.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 11:55

Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

I'm in too!! I'm the world's worst when it comes to exercising, but dh and I actually worked out yesterday for the first time in years. So count me in. I promise to workout 5 days a week.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:10

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%

I'll tell you, AntiM, those darned aliens always keep me from working out too but I'm willing to plough through regardless I think your ideas are great and I'll be waiting for the "start up" thread. I'll use the time to figure out my plan of attack. It seems as though you're gathering quite a crowd. That's great. Looking forward to it.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 01:32
... Pro-Atkins!

BF:
Thumbs up Challengers ... Start Your Engines!

Welcome MisterE! It’s great to see your smiling face, you charmer! You can be our inspiration, given that you’ve already made your commitment and begun! Good for you. And your fitness goals do not seem trite in the slightest!! We all have unique health histories - what matters is DOING it, not where we begin or where we end up.

Tanya (Gotaloseit) … I think your reward idea is fabulous! I’m definitely a carrot, not a stick, kind of girl. I’ll incorporate this into our first ‘official’ post.

Welcome Echo! What a treat to give yourself for your birthday. Not only sticking to your WOE, but you’ll know that you’ve made great strides in improving your fitness. Talking about giving yourself a gift!

Welcome hatetocook! I can so relate to your post about slipping into old habits. I know I’m getting more movement in than I was, say, last year, but I don’t seem to keep pushing myself to do a little more. It’s like I’ve settled into this rut … and I want better than just a tiny bit of exercise. I’m so glad you’re joining us!

Welcome Patty! I love your signature line … how true that saying is. But maybe since we’ll be working our bodies, success will find us more easily? I sure hope so.

Welcome Carla! How are you feeling after that first work out session with DH? I hope you both remembered to stretch since it had been a while. Is your guy going to work out with you, too? (Hey, the more the merrier!)

And finally …

Hope1 - I’m getting psyched, too. Somehow, doing this alone hasn’t inspired me very much. I feel like I’ve been trying to push a very large boulder uphill and suddenly I’m surrounded by other helping hands and arms and legs and hearts. We can do this!

So … I’ll post our first thread this Thursday on the ‘Countdowns, Challenges and Buddies’ forum. I’ll PM everyone with the thread link. Since MisterE has already committed to different dates, I’m hoping he won’t mind that our official challenge will be 8 weeks (ending September 5th).

And a note about the body image work - I don’t know exactly how it’ll go, either, and everyone must consider participation completely optional. I’m going to modify some journaling exercises into ‘homework assignments’ - basically a challenge to look at your body in more positive way. We’ll see how it works out … hey, we’ll never know if we don’t try!

Last edited by AntiM : Wed, Jul-23-03 at 01:40.