Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 13:53

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
Lightbulb Now Hold Up A Sec

Saccacrine, wow! on your 19+ weight loss since just this June! You must tell me your secret.

Now, on a little somber note:

Quote:
...it can be difficult to be supported when people don't know your "failings" or mishaps. it's often difficult to have a non-low-carb advocate understand and support someone who is devastated for consuming a slice of toast with jelly,

Me thinks you made a mistake if you were referring to us as "Non-Low-Carbers" isn't that a mistake? Anyone who has voiced an opinon about the "cheaters" are low carb advocates. THIS IS a low carb site. Did you get confused? If so, it's cool. You mentioned the "cheater's" devastation following the consumption of a restricted food and we should understand this? I beg to differ (politely) that they know that a piece of regular toast and a glass of milk is NOT a part of this lifestyle, so why do it? (you may refer to my previous reply). Please don't tell me it's snowing if I have dandruff on my collar.

The bottom line is they KNOW this is low carb, yet as I stated previously, people cheat for various reasons and some just get a kick out of playing "victim" role. "Look how you made me feel" or "Now you're being judgmental of me." If you know anything about shame-based behaviors, then you would be able to see some reason.

It's just too tiring trying to understand practiced mistakes.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 14:14
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

This is why I love this forum so many opinions and the support as well.

Truthfully, some posts annoy me so I just read them and move on. But just as those who cheat can post, then those who wonder why those who cheat do so can post also and others can comment.

I have not knowingly cheated and have no plans too I am too motivated to reach my goal, plus my progress has been slow so cheating would have set me back further. I am sure of this.

If you cheat, learn the lesson, move on and try not to make it a bad habit. That's why alot of us are here in the first place. The difference with this WOL is that because our craving have subsided it is so much easier to not cheat.

We can do this!

Peace
red
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 14:57

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharine
i promise i don't mean to sound snippey, saltnpeppa, but this is "low-Carb Diets Forums & Support . it can be difficult to be supported when people don't know your "failings" or mishaps. it's often difficult to have a non-low-carb advocate understand and support someone who is devastated for consuming a slice of toast with jelly, and a glass of milk. but here, it makes sense to us.
cs_carver has a great point- just let your mouse hover over each thread before you enter- and you'll be able to avoid most of them. good luck and happy hassle-free low-carbing.

I know I can avoid the posts about cheating, and I DO. I could avoid the whole site, but IMO it would be your guys' loss. The posts about cheating have increased dramatically, to the point, where I (and I feel I'm a good community member who helps people where I can) don't enjoy visiting anymore. I wanted to know if others felt the same way, and if there's a solution.

After all, this is not the "low carb CHEATER'S forum". My understanding is that this is the place for people following this way of life.

Just like if you are alcoholic, you don't go to an AA meeting or web-forum and say, I'm planning to go out and get wasted next Tuesday and then asking 'hmm think that's ok??'.

They don't tolerate that. (and the implied question is should we?)

The point is not about those who make mistakes and don't have anyone to support them for having toast with jelly and milk (but umm.. didn't they read anything about being LC first?.. but let's assume, still, it was a mistake..). I 'm talking about people who plan cheats and post that they are planning to cheat on X day or binge on Z day and then want support.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 15:19

Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%

I can see why people try all this supposed cheating and since we live in a quick fix society it`s bound to come up.You have to think for yourselves and determine what is appropriate for you....
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 16:21

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

oh- linda- i think i misspoke. what i meant to say was that non-lo-carbers (family memebers or friends) - people outSIDE of this community, were probably less capable of understanding mentionings of "cheating," whereas within this community, it is understood, acceptable, and therefore a great outlet which is (and often should be, IMHO) used.
sorry for the confusion.

ps, thanks for the weight comment. lets me know im doing good.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 17:17

Stats: 253/198/175 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpeppa
I don't get it. It's like every other thread is about cheating.

Sorry- I don't mean to offend anyone, but am I the only one tired of hearing about cheating all the time?

You should go read the Love & Marriage forums.

Sam
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 17:43

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%

smchan: Good weight loss there. Let me get this straight, 6/03 you were 253lbs. and 7/19 you were 224lbs. My goodness, that's 29lbs. in less than a month! Way to Go! What are ya, some kinda test-tube baby? That's pretty awesome.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 17:52

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I guess there is a lot of talk about cheating because a lot of people have problems with it. It isn't all about willpower or wanting attention or just not being commited enough. God! those sound like all the nasty things I hear skinny people say about fat people all the time behind their backs. I am surprised to hear it in here...
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 17:53

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Alot of good opinions have been posted in this thread.
I agree that those who do cheat, do need to come here for support, what I don't agree with is Coddling those same people over and over again, at some point they have to realize they are not doing the diet/woe.
I also don't beleive that while giving support, sugar coating the problem is the right way to do it. After all the support is meant to be something to keep you on this way of eating, not helping one to justify what they have done.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 17:56.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:04

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

I think that everyone's experience with any "diet" is different, and there can be many triggers that set people off...that being said...this is a support forum...I can understand that if it is someone that does the "cheat regularily" it can perhaps be hard to be supportive, but then we don't have to answer every post we see do we.
Also, I am not sure that I can say that they are not commintted to this way of life...or WOE....sometimes we eat without knowing that we are eating...after all, we all wouldn't be here if we "behaved" ourselves, or weren't a little self indulgent for most of our lives.
And as for all the other addictions mentioned...you never have to put those things in your body...but we all HAVE to put food in our bodies...I myself have found it much easier to quit smoking after 20 some years, than any diet I have ever been on. If I could quit food the same way, it would be a breeze, but everyday, you put food in your mouth...and perhaps it makes others need or want other food...hard to say....
Anyway, just my take on the subject
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:41

Stats: 253/198/175 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Love
smchan: Good weight loss there. Let me get this straight, 6/03 you were 253lbs. and 7/19 you were 224lbs. My goodness, that's 29lbs. in less than a month! Way to Go! What are ya, some kinda test-tube baby? That's pretty awesome.

More like 6 weeks (first of June thru mid-July) but who's counting?

I've also gone from 42 waist jeans to 38 and XXL shirt to XL.

Sam
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 19:16

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

well said kathy!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:04

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I certainly understand the need for support but I do agree with Saltnpeppa that it can get old hearing about it all the time. Especially from the same people. I do think there's a danger of making cheating seem acceptable and that doesn't help anyone.

But one request I would make is that the 'cheater' not go into all the details of the food. I know that when I'm trying really hard to eat clean, it's tough to read about people cheating, especially when they give all the details. It can start me craving just reading about all these goodies.

Amy

Last edited by SiriusT : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 20:09.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 21:14
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Talking Pick and Choose...

Personally, I take comfort from the idea others aren't perfect, and have their weak moments, too. In fact, reading about how sick someone got, or cheating and stalling is actually a reminder to me to NOT go there myself! (Man, that sounds selfish, but..)

I tend to skip threads that pertain to things that don't interest me. My least favorite posts are by people you suspect haven't done a bit of reading, and expect the moderators to basically provide ALL the information FOR them. (And to the moderators.. you have much more patience than I )

I just wish I'd found these boards a LONG time ago!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 21:53

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

re: reading descriptions of cheating foods

I only went to one OA meeting, but I learned there that they don't let you mention the foods that will push you over. They may be trigger foods for other people as well.

I've had a hard week the last week, but I tried to confine my issues to the Confession Booth. I'm a little embarrassed about my postings there, but somehow "telling" others made me feel more accountable. And just "get over it" and "get on with it". I was proud (before this week) that my "cheats" were allowing myself a cup of coffee a day, and a diet pepsi every couple days.

I love this new WOE, and I'm about to celebrate 8 weeks (and should change my current weight - cause it's lower). I get so much out of this forum and these threads, that I want to give back in ways that are helpful (or at least not harmful). This thread has been enlightening.

Sarah