Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/209/200 Male 6.4 ft
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default hello

Hello everybody!
I'm new to this forum (and to the Atkins Diet).
Yesterday I started the "Induction Phase" and I've never felt worse in my life! Headaches, stiffness around the chest, dizziness and lots of fatigue.
I guess suddenly quitting everything that turned me into "Big Dutch", is responsible for all that discomfort.
I'm going to stick to my new diet and hope to see some results eventually.
Losing 56 pounds is my goal.
Greetings.
Big Dutch.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 22:59

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

Hello and welcome to this forum! You've found a great bunch of people.

The first couple of days of the Induction are the worst! You're body is going through withdrawls and probably making you miserable. With that being said, once you're over it, you'll feel great! Many people feel energerized when eating LC.

I assure you that you will see results. Stick with it and good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 09:33
Registered Member

BF:
Smile thanks Tiffany

Hello Tiffany.
Thanks for your reply.
Yesterday I thought I was going to die (It was my 2nd day of Induction, and probably included a major caffeine withdrawal...) but this morning I woke up and felt a lot better already.
Give or take a few days and I'm sure I'll be on a roll into the "Land Of The Slim"!
Have a nice day.
"Big Dutch", Vancouver BC
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 09:52

Stats: 262/210/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Big Dutch!

Congratulations on starting your new diet! Day 3 was my worse day, I was sure I had the flu and barely did anything all day. But like ya know, the feeling passes and you start feeling better every day. All physical activity used to be overwhelming for me, but after about a week on induction I actually wanted to work out! And now I actually enjoy it!

You've already crossed a big hurdle by finding this forum. The information here is wonderful and has helped me with everything from what to eat to how what I eat messes me up. Read and learn and ask the "oldtimers" when ya cant find answers, they're always quick to help a newbie.

Take care and good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 10:32
Registered Member

BF:

Hello Carrigen.
Thanks for your uplifting message.
I've felt frustrated with all those extra pounds now for at least 15 years. I always thought being overweight looked rather dumb and self indulgent.
(That's my own personal hang-up of course.)
A few days of feeling lousy is a small price to pay after having felt like a big fat idiot for so long.
Thanks.
"Big Dutch", Vancouver BC
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 09:29
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Hi big dutch and welcome!!
god I think we have all been there with headaches etc but you just gotta hang on in there it does pass, I have nearly completed week 2 and somedays I felt like chucking it in cause I felt so bad. I didnt and in under 2 weeks I have lost 14 lbs I feel great now!!
p.s you aint that big I used to weigh 371lbs, I was a big lady!!

Anyway good luck
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 10:22
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks burnikel

Hello Burnikel.
Thanks for your encouraging words. They put a smile on my face!
It's always helpful and sobering to hear from others who have been through a lot more! Sticking to the Atkins Diet isn't all that hard, but reading the (many) opponents' views made me hesitate about starting it initially.
I've got nothing to loose but fat! I quit smoking two years ago. I'm sure I can quit the junkfood addiction too.
My wife is very supportive of this diet. She has Crohn's disease and has been on a "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" for two years now, which really helped her and which is in many ways similar to Atkins.
Thanks again Burnikel.
Regards.
"Big Dutch".
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/242/200
BF:most
Progress: 35%

Hi big dutch .I too experienced induction pains a few days ago but its over now and i'm back on track.. I can look ice cream,cake in the face and say no. I'm angry, determined to take back my life.Crying time is over it's time for action..good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 13:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks xxovereasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxovereasy
Hi big dutch .I too experienced induction pains a few days ago but its over now and i'm back on track.. I can look ice cream,cake in the face and say no. I'm angry, determined to take back my life.Crying time is over it's time for action..good luck.

Hello XXOVEREASY.
Thanks for your encouraging email.
You know,...I'm starting to really like this diet and this is only day #3!
I just finished a nice big steak for lunch and washed it all down with half a bottle of Perrier water.
I feel privileged, to say the least.
Have a nice day.
"Big Dutch".
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 10:43

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/183/140 Female 5'8'
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi, Dutch. I am just finishing up my first week of Induction---I pretty much felt the same as you did and am feeling better now. I've done Atkins before in the past, did okay at first, but quit when I got no results. This time, I've really decided IT IS TIME to lose the weight and I'm going to do it right. What I'm doing differently now is cutting out the caffeine,being really restrictive with my veggies and taking the supplements that are recommended in the Diet Revolution book. Seems to be working so far---8 pounds! Good luck! By the way, 4 Motrin tablets are pretty good for knocking out those headaches!!!

Last edited by CEE CEE : Mon, Jul-21-03 at 10:44. Reason: :yay:
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:03
Registered Member

BF:
Default 4 days now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE CEE
Hi, Dutch. I am just finishing up my first week of Induction---I pretty much felt the same as you did and am feeling better now. I've done Atkins before in the past, did okay at first, but quit when I got no results. This time, I've really decided IT IS TIME to lose the weight and I'm going to do it right. What I'm doing differently now is cutting out the caffeine,being really restrictive with my veggies and taking the supplements that are recommended in the Diet Revolution book. Seems to be working so far---8 pounds! Good luck! By the way, 4 Motrin tablets are pretty good for knocking out those headaches!!!

Hi there Cee Cee!
It's amazing to get all those uplifting replies!
A far as the cafeine is concerned,...I was the ultimate addict.
Putting instant coffee in my coffee to bring it up to "gag"-strength.
I'm in my fourth day of Induction now and that's also four days without cafeine. (Headaches guaranteed!)
Two days ago I strained my left shoulder muscle badly after carrying a huge shopping bag full of steaks up the hill, so it hurts as hell.
I guess that doesn't classify as an Induction side-effect though.
Maybe I'm fooling myself, but even after these four days I'm starting to look a tiny bit thinner. Unless there is something wrong with my mirror.
I wish you, myself and all the beginners good luck and strength on the dietary path.
Bye.
"Big Dutch"