Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 17:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default what do you tell people when they ask you..

how much weight you've lost??
I have to lose a total of > 100 lbs and don't really want to tell people because I guess I'm ashamed of how far I let myself go before I did anything. I've lost >35 and everyone comments and asks. I know they're trying to be friendly and supportive and when I tell them I don't want to say exact numbers, I feel that I've insulted them or something.
Does anyone have a good reply?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 17:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

When people ask me if I lost weight I usually say "I've lost some but not where I want to be."

or the classic one would be "no you've just gained weight so I look smaller"

#3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 17:42

Stats: 279/238/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I just say.....

I dont know....I have been watching what I eat and exercising lately...guess I am toning up.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 17:48

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

When people ask me how much I've lost I proudly say 60 lbs and 10 to go. Don't feel ashamed. What you have done is nothing short of fantastic. You earned the privilege to tell others that there is a weight lose program the truly works. You are walking proof. You might even inspire someone. Kudos to you. You are doing a great job.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 18:27

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I hate talking numbers too. I dont want to say Ive dropped a size because i am in a 20 now-not much to brag about when you are talking to a size 2.

I hope to get down to a brag-able weight in a year. Only people who saw me at my heaviest notice any difference. Just smile and move conversation on....
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 18:40

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

ALWAYS be proud of your accomplishments!!! Regardless of who you are talking to (and what size they are).
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 19:30

Stats: 293/258/135 Female 5'5
BF:49%/??/??
Progress: 22%

I know what you mean. I should be proud of the weight that I've lost, but I'm embarrassed about how much I weigh, thus how much I have to lose. Yep, it's something I need to work on.

I usually say something like "Less than I need to and more than I care to admit". It seems to lighten the mood and the point is taken that it's not something I want to be a topic of conversation. However, if the person that I'm talking to is overweight or seems sincerely interested, I talk about what I'm doing and how successful it has been for me. My hope is that it will encourage them to lose weight, get healthy, and feel better.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 19:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

If you really don't want to talk numbers, I guess theres no harm in just thanking them for the compliment, and moving on to a new subject.

Personally, I just go right on ahead and brag! It's taken me almost two years to get this far, and I appreciate the "pat on the back" once in a while. I have a long way to go, and sometimes I need the ego boost to keep me on the "straight and narrow"

Don't be ashamed of where you were, just be proud that you're taking charge and improving yourself, no matter WHAT size!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 20:16

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Don't feel compelled to be specific. Just say thank you - I'm happy it's noticable. Or 'thank you - it's coming along.'

Make them feel good for saying something and you need not refer to your goal - just your progress.

You are doing well. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

#10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 21:07

BF:

tofi, I think I'll use your approach. I don't want to be mean to them because I know they're happy for me, but I don't want to be specific either.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 22:39

Stats: 199/196/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I am mostly a shy person but for some reason I got blabbing around constantly about my diet! I am proud that I am getting healthy and I want to shout it to the world. Don't be ashamed!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 01:47
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I sometimes talk about how much better I feel, or I say that I'm getting into clothes I haven't worn for years. But most of the time I just say how many pounds I've lost--I figure everybody could see how fat I was before, anyway. One thing I won't do, though, is talk about how much I want to lose, and I won't tell people how much I weigh. (This is because I always get an argument about it. The other person goes, "OMG! I can't BELIEVE you weigh THAT MUCH!") After about the third time this happened in a public place--and everyone looked--I decided never again to answer the question, "How much do you weigh?"

Emily
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 03:09

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I'm with Emily, I'll happily tell people how much I've lost but there's no way I'm telling them my start or goal weights or even my current weight, that's too personal to me (she says with the numbers right here on this forum lol).
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 03:40

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Anyone looking at me can tell that I need to lose so when they ask or tell me that I look good I say thank you I have lost 50lbs and I have about 50 more to go. I am extremely proud of the 50 and I want to tell everyone. I would never tell them what I was or what I am currently!!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 05:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkathy6
Anyone looking at me can tell that I need to lose so when they ask or tell me that I look good I say thank you I have lost 50lbs and I have about 50 more to go. I am extremely proud of the 50 and I want to tell everyone. I would never tell them what I was or what I am currently!!

that's what I'm talking about!
once you say you've lost 50 and have 50 to go (basically my situation) --then they can figure the average thin woman is 120-140 and they know the start weight.
These are people who I see often, and they remember the last weight, so if they ask, and I say a couple pounds, then they say.. oh you mean like 3x pounds??? So I don't like them keeping track either. And you know how relatives are.. they all talk about it. At least mine, this is the first serious weight loss for me.

I don't mind telling strangers.