Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 17:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default should i be losing

My menu is usually
Break: 2 eggs with mayo(egg salad)

lunch: salad with lettuce, radishes, dressing, 2 eggs, some kind of meat and sometimes a slice of cheese

dinner: egg salad (2 eggs) some type of meat usually hamburger or turkey

I walk 2 to 3 miles a day and drink over 100oz. of water everyday.

I know I dont get near enough veggies. sometimes i work them into my dinner into whatever meat i cook.

Should I be losing. I went 9 days of this being very strict no snacks at all.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 18:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"

i share a similar diet and am still losing. i usually have an omelette for breakfast, peanutbutter around one-ish, and a meat-based dinner. at some point during the day, i try and work in some lettuce, or green beans. i cook most of my foods with olive oil, and drink somewhere between 70-100 oz of water (probably not enough) and a few cups of herbal or green tea.

Especially considering your excersise, i would be surprised if you werent losing a pound every two weeks, at least. if not, maybe try upping the water and yeah, the veggies too. as everyone says though, make sure to measure yourself. (i only did just yesterday, because i figure im boud to plateau soon. )
anyways, let us know how things go. good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Stacy, you gotta stop worrying. I am not going to worry anymore. When is the last time you think you lost weight ? You said the other day about going to the next notch on your belt. So, stop worrying. Maybe you lost more and just don't know it. Don't forget with all that walking you there must be more muscle , I also think when you are doing more exercize you are supposed to up the carbs. I think you should also try adding some berries and macadamia nuts. Theyre good for you.
Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You don't have to up carbs for exercising. There are some plans that do this, they are more geared to body builders though. Atkins says exercise is a must, and if you exercise regularly you will have a higher carb tolerence level on maintanance, but you don't have to put carbs in.

Make sure to measure. Loosing inches is far more important then what the scale says. Also read the section on low carb tips about how fat is burned. It goes through how it first is replaced with water, which could be making the scale not budge for a bit, but inches go. Then you get a nice woosh as the water leaves.

If these aren't the case, you might try going through your menus and seeing what can be adjusted. Are you eating enough fat and calories? Are you getting too much protien? Your eggs are giving you around 40g so it would be dependent on the amount of meat your having. Generaly women need between 60-100g of protien a day. Does dairy such as cheeses possibly make your body stall? I started losing alot faster and felt much better after I cut out dairy. There is also a section of protien power that talks about how some people can be sensative to something contained in egg yolks, and that can cause them to stall. They recomend lowering the yolk intake somewhat and supplimenting with fish oils.

You may just have to have a little patience. Atkins is not a quick loss diet. Many people (me for one) go through periods of no weight loss, then it resumes again in kind of an up and down cycle. Hang in there and do what makes you feel your best
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 03:14

BF:

Thanks for your responses. Cindy, I cant stop worrying. I want to lose the weight and I am just afraid I may be doing something wrong. I did move the notch and that really made my day when I did that. I have been on this since may and I have only lost 13lbs. according to the dr. scales. I guess I get discouraged reading other peoples big successes. I also think that where I lost so much before that my body may still be getting used to it.
I think I will start doing fitday again to make sure I am getting in enough fat and protein. Im sure Im getting enough protein from all the eggs.
I have just about cut out the cheese. I was eating the 4oz. allowed before and I only have one slice about every other day or something.
I know you may think I am crazy but I cant find the macadamia nuts in my store. Ihave looked at both stores.
Saccarine I thought the same thing about the exercising, I thought it would make me lose faster but I guess it is just adding muscle which in time will make me lose faster. So I guess I will just have to be patient.
I tasted of one of my favorite dishes last night, mac and cheese. It tasted horrible, good thing cause I would have eaten the whole bowl.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 07:15

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"

i know what you mean about the mac and cheese- every once in a while i may taste a carb-food,or even get a good strong whiff, and i tend to feel a strong aversion to it. i think its mostly psychological, because i know it will ruin everything. i still enjoy those atkins bars though. yum! oh- and if you're looking to work the muscles to speed up the metabolism, i'd reccomend the t-tapp excersises. i found the link from this forum, and though i've only been on it three days, i've lost another 2 lbs (which is unusual for me at this point) and i KNOW this stuff is working. its really hard to find lower-body workouts- this stuff is good.
ok- i got way off topic. but i think it will help.
here's the link

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/womansworld/page3.asp
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 07:17

BF:

thanks so much. lower body is where i need the help. my little girl told me i looked awful because i am getting skinny every where but my belly. i will check out the website
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 09:35

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Stacy, sorry to talk about you like youre not here ,but lol

Quote:
You don't have to up carbs for exercising. There are some plans that do this, they are more geared to body builders though. Atkins says exercise is a must, and if you exercise regularly you will have a higher carb tolerence level on maintanance, but you don't have to put carbs in.

Ladybelle,I just thought I read that in the book somewhere.or on the website. I don't have time to look now ,but Stacy is only probably getting 10 grams of carbs a day. I thought that maybe she needed to up the carbs some especially since she exercizes everyday walking 2-3 miles . 3 cups of salad ,3 cups of radishes, 1cup of celery and 4 eggs only comes to 9 net carbs.5 tbs of mayo is only a couple grams and a slice of cheddar is aobut 2. That's about 13 net carbs. I am sure she isn't even having that much of those veggies either. I wasn't telling her to up carbs to 50 but she is past induction and I think she should up those carbs to at least 20. What do you think?
Cindy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 11:20

BF:

Hey Cindy, quit picking on me and quit telling on me, lol. Just kidding. You are right about it all. I am getting nowhere near that in the veggies. I am getting ready to go fix my salad so I will pile on the radishes, I dont think I can fit 3 cups in one plate tho.
But really thanks for being honest.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 12:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

She can up her carbs yes, and it may give her some more energy, but it's not nessecary. Everyone is different though that is why it's good to find what level of carbs make you feel the best and don't make large ups, with crashes after. Even on induction you should be having close to 20, but it's hard doing that on just veggies. Alot of those carbs come from dairy and such.

Try experimenting with different veggies on the allowed list. Take your morning eggs and make an ommlette with spinich, or a mexican one with onions and peppers mixed into the eggs. You can also try grating Zucchini for a type of hashbrowns. I leaned after grateing them to press them between towels and a couple of books to get some of the moisture out. They brown better that way. For dinner try stirfries. You can still add eggs if you like, but try different veggies and meat combos. Another nummie dinner is to make cauliflower rice, and fry it like pork rice. You can stir in other veggies, eggs, and left over meats. You can also add eggs to a broth for egg drop soup, then mix in some chopped green onion, water chestnuts, or scallions.

In the morning when you make your egg salad, take a large lettuce leaf and roll the salad up in it. Or get some Nori like they wrap sushi in and wrap the salad in that for a sushi type treat with out the shi
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 19:57

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi, stacysheil,
You are doing such a great job--- a belt notch is a LOT, really, even though you may not be seeing as much as you'd like on the scales yet. With your commitment, you will reach goal in no time. Don't forget, too, that you have relatively fewer pounds to lose than others who appear to lose so many by comparison. I admire your passion for exercise, too.

Good luck to you.
Whammy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 04:35

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

If you have a WalMart nearby, you should find Macadamias there. Failing that, Almonds are also a good choice, about half the price, and have about the same number of net carbs.