Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 14:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

For detox from the outside, try this.

1c baking sofa, 1 c sea salt 1 - 3 tbsp of ground ginger.

Add it to you hot bath. As hot as you can stand. If you cannot get completely submerged, use a towel to cover the bits that are out of the water and a cup to pour the water over the towel. Relax. In ten minutes scrub yourself hard all over to stimulate the skin. Drink a big glass of water, Repeat for 20 to 40 minutes. You will sweat! This is a good thing. Sweating and breathing are the two main ways your body gets rid of toxins. The obvious way is not the most important or effective.

Do this once a week, more if you think you are coming down with something. Start out with a little ginger and increase in slowly, it is very stimulating for some people. The bath may make you feel bad. Be glad. That means the the toxins are being stirred up and are avaialbe to be eliminated. Be sure that your elimination pattern is good before doing this, so that you have that avenue available to the body too.

Enjoy!?!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:14

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I have not tried to exercise while fasting. The info I read on fasting says you should not exercise on the days that you fast. It is really not THAT hard. It is also very empowering when you complete your fast. Actually they say the 4th day is the easiest. I myself have never gotten that far.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 16:37
Registered Member

Stats: 200/200/155 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

I also heard that you can take clay kitty litter without any perfumes dyes or anything else, just in its purest form, grind it into a powder in a blender and add it to your bath water. I guess the clay extracts through the pores
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 16:46

Stats: 240/208/199 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Fasting worked for me

Well, I have to disagree with the replies here (most of them, at least). While on Atkins (and I have been having great success with it, by the way....32 pounds in about 3 months!), I decided for spiritual reasons to go on a 7-day fast. All I had during those 7 days was water and some other drinks that I use while on Atkins (diet Minute Maid lemonade, Propel, etc.). During that 7 days, I lost 9 pounds, and when I went off the fast, I just tried to be careful how I came off it for a couple days. Result? My Atkins progress seemed just fine. I appeared to still be in ketosis, and I only put back on 2 of those 9 pounds, which I quickly lost again in my regular Atkins WOE.

Not sure why so many here seem to think fasting is such a bad idea. But I just wanted to share my differing view....

steve
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 17:30

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Very interesting thread... I wonder though, does a fast do bad things to your metabolism? And how about depleting energy for everyday tasks, such as working?
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 17:47

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

in his book Dr atkins actually says that occationally trying a different diet can be beneficial. he mentions the "all fruit diet," but says that diets such as these should not be done for more than two days. whereas you had mentioned juice on your fast, i thought the two were comparable.

but now, im very interested in this fasting idea. i know many others here, who are experienced low-carbers, often suggest upping caloric intake if people are not losing weight. but, the body is complicated. i will have to look into this.
i think i'd like to try.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%

Fasting does initially deplete your energy reserves, especially water ffasting. Some experts encourage you to start a water fast during a period when you can lie about and do nothing, because for the first few days your energy level will drop alarmingly.

However, oce your body 'switches over' you will experience an energy high like you're never felt before.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:32

Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%

Some people have the commitment for fasting, while others may bindge following the period of deprovation. Maybe asking yourself how commited you feel you can be? Also, I really hope you consider yourself in good health without any medical conditions. It sounds lame, but, maybe your health care provider can add some valuable input.

best wishes for success!

Last edited by 94513 : Tue, Jul-22-03 at 10:33.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:50

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I do believe that a REALLY good fast would be one where you are sending fiber bulk through your intestines to clean it out (also, some use aloe vera juice to help with this function).

You may want to try using a teaspoon to a tablespoon of psyllium with your juices to slow the sugar reaction and also give your system a feeling of fullness (at the same time, it cleans out the *guck* in your intestines).

Aloe vera juice will help to *heal* the lining of the intestines.

I wouldn't suggest a week either. 3 days seems like MORE than enough.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 11:04

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I think people are scared of fasting because the government teaches us to eat 3 meals a day. People have been fasting since the beginning of time.It is not going to kill us to go a few days without food. It is very uplifting! Lets you know you can acomplish anything.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 11:09

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I would be interested in maybe trying thise for a day or two. I dont think I could actually do it though, I am so food dependant!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:00
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

i remember back in h.s. during christmas break..i slowly took food out of my diet and did 3week fast w/ water. It was weird..i didn't want to eat food after the first week. I didn't think it was possible. But when i tried to eat again...it was hard. But a 3day fast sounds like it would be good. I want to try that bath idea though
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:05

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

I couldn't handle a fast, but to detox, I drink detox herbal tea. I found it in the health food section of the grocery store and it seems to be the best method for me. Plus, it is Atkins friendly.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 13:08

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Ok, I've done a little research and am ready to recant my original statement (I'm nothing if not open-minded. LOL). I've found that fasts CAN actually be beneficial to health.

One thing I could not find, and wish to know is...
What types of supplements would one take on a water fast to insure the vital nutriants? Is there a set regiment, or would that only be determined under a doctor or nutritionalists care? Just curious.

Thanks.
~Angi~
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:25
Registered Member

Stats: 200/200/155 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well Im staring my 3 day fast today so far so good,
I had hot water in the morning with some decaf tea. Well I will see tonight how much self controll I really have when I have to cook dinner for hubby. Kinda nervous. I hope I can do this. Wish me luck lol