Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/170/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%
Angry Frustrated on week 3

I am the mid process of week 3 and have stalled badly, I eat no cheese or bacon keep my carbs under 20 grams a day drink 80 oz of water a day, exercise for 45 minutes and still i gain weight.
But the most frustrating thing is this: my mother in law is doing it with me and she is cheating (eating chocolate, having gum, regular sugar) no exercise, not evening drinking water and she has lost 12 pounds!! And ot top it off she is twice my age!!! What gives?
DH thinks it's water retention but I can't take anything for it can I? I am utterly discouraged and would hope someone who has gone through a similar situation could be of some consolation. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chantal
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:05

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi. All I can tell you is I'm in the SAME BOAT!!! Today is 3 weeks for me and you can see by my stats that I haven't lost anything. I keep reading about people drinking alcohol and cheating and I haven't done any of that and they still lose!

I'm going to give this until next week when it's my TOM and see if that does something to make me lose a little. It sure is discouraging.
My fitday shows that I'm at 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs, so I believe I'm eating the right percentages. Calories have been anywhere from 1400-1600.

I see we are at about the same weight. If you find anything out that helps you, please let me know.

"T"
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It's perfectly natural to slow down or stop in week 3, it's not a stall. Most of the weight lost the first week of induction is water weight. The second week you start to lose fat. After such a sudden weight loss, your body takes a momentary pause to make sure you are going to keep this up and that the fat is still going to be coming in. The weight loss will start back up again if you continue following the plan. It will be much slower though as it is fat that is being lost. That's normal. Atkins is not a quick weight loss crash diet, but a way of eating for life.

The general rule I've seen stated on here is most people lose 10% of the weight they need to in the first month and 5% each month after.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:17

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree with LadyBelle, this is all perfectly normal most of us have been there and the first pounds are always water retention as opposed to fat. Also you may not be losing pounds but can still be losing inches, have you taken your measurements?? The other thing you should not do is compare yourself with others b/c this can be extremely discouraging. All people lose weight differently some faster some slower. Keep up with the water, if you are having any sweetners or cheeses or bars/shakes I would suggest cutting some of that stuff out and seeing what happens then. You will eventually get to know you body more in terms of what carbs it can and cannot tolerate. Good Luck to you, hang in there. Another thing is, try not to weigh yourself daily since your weight will fluctuate constantly. Good Luck

Last edited by LCalamari : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 15:21.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: Restarted Atkins 07/27/04
Stats: 267/244/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Chantalina,

All I can say is "I feel you." I'm in the same boat and it's getting crowded in here. There are quite a few of us in your situation. I'm grateful for this forum because I always felt like I was the only one.

The counsel you've been given is sound. It's tough when there is someone nearby losing at a rabbit's pace and you're "slow and steady." But remember, the tortoise won the race!

Hang in there... Some people get that "whoosh" effect which means no loss for days (or weeks) and then a sudden drop. Keep posting. I'm with you in spirit.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 20:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

O.K. you guys, listen up here, did you put the weight on nice and even every week????? No I don't think so, then why get in a knot, in week 3 ??? Come on, the whole nation would be skinny if the diet worked that way

Hang in there, the word Stall does'nt even come into it at this early stage, honest

Check my records below, and keep in mind I am 4 1/2 pounds as of today away from my goal

Kathy