Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 07:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default People With Fast Weight Loss Results - Please Help

Can I ask you folks who are getting fast weight loss results, like 5 lbs a week for the beginning or even more.

What are you keeping your carb count at for the day ? are you going right to the 20 gm mark or so ? or are you 10 and below ?

Thanks for your help !!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 07:50

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Leenie

I'm trying to understand why you are asking this question. You can only lose weight at the rate that your body will let it go. Everyone is different. Those people that lose 5 or more pounds the first week are mainly losing water weight as the carbohydrates they have in their body are used up.

You have lost 9 pounds, so well done. I see you are doing CAD, if you re read it you will see that it says that it is normal to only lose one or two pounds a week. That is all that can be sustained as a pound of fat is 3,500 kcalories.

Just make sure you are following the CAD plan and weight loss will follow. Its taken me 2 years to lose 60 pounds and it will take at least the same for me to get to my goal. I am feeling really well and know that the weight will come off with time. There is no quick fix solution.

Keep the faith.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:00

BF:

I am SOOO Sorry, I am on Atkins, I forgot to change my profile. I started on July 7th to be exact. CAD just wasn't doing it for me..gave me to much freedome to stuff my face during dinner. I did however gain back my 9 lbs - sigh ~

Okay I'm asking this because, my friend here who has been on diet after diet has lost 40 lbs in 2 months on atkins. I was curious to know if the lower the carb intake like around 10 or so... does this have better results?

My first week on atkins I lost 5 lbs.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:10

Well done Leenie on 5 pounds lost this week.

Know the lower the carb level does not mean the quicker the loss. You do need some carbs to keep the other hormones balanced inside you. Do stick to around 15 to 20 carbs a day and get those veggies in.

Your friend has done really well to lose 40 pounds in 2 months. I suspect she has not dieted before. This always helps.

Make sure you eat at least 2,000 calories a day and you can stay around 20 carbs for a couple of months or so. After a while I found I ended up getting better results with a slightly higher carb level. So no, the lower the carb does not mean the quicker the weight loss.

Every success.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:11

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

My hubby and I have been on Atkins for almost 3 months and he has lost 68lbs, while I have stayed at 31 lbs for the last 3 weeks. We eat identical meals all day. It really depends on the persons metabolism, how much they need to lose and how closely they stick to the plan.

Since you asked, though, we eat up every last gram of those 20 carbs/day. Most (some days all) of our carbs come in the form of veggies. We eat more than the recommended amount of veggies for most days. But as many people have said on here "No one ever got fat eating too many vegetables!".

~Angi~
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:56

BF:

Thank you so much for your help. I REALLY want this to work but I fear my metabolism is very slow. I've been on every diet known to man kind.

My highest weight was 300+, I lost 150 lbs and kept it off for over 10+ years. We had a tragic event happen in my family 5 years ago which I then put back on 80 lb + sigh ~ I'm struggling like there's no tomorrow. I have struggled my entire life.

I started Atkins hoping and praying that the scale just move down instead of up. I'm not looking to lose 10 lbs a week (although it would be dreamy lol ) but I would like to be off to a faster start and then taper like I see so many of you have.

My questions may seem redundant and tiredsome to you all but to me this is something new and I really don't want to screw things up again.

I want success !!

Your kind words and help has and will go farther than you know.

Hugs !!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:58

BF:

WOW Annie, look at your pictures !!!

I'm tickled pink for you, horray !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many many blessings to you and success.... wow wow wow
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:50
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I lost 16 pounds during my two week induction, and at four months have lost a total of 39 pounds. Not bad to my way of thinking-even with a four week stall. However-
I have never before been on a serious diet (one that lasted more than a week) and started out 100 pounds overweight.
I have low metabolic resistance.
I am not on any medication-including BC pills.
I walk regularly for about 30 minutes.
I keep my carbs around 20.
I have had only two planned cheat meals in the last 4 months.
I am 35 years old.

I think there are so many factors others have to fight against, that not everyone will have the same results. You can only fight the bulge with the weapons you have-can't borrow someone elses metabolism!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Restarted Atkins 07/27/04
Stats: 267/244/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Anne,
I noticed you mentioned whether or not Leenie's friend had been on a diet before as impacting results. I have wondered about this. Have you read anything about that?

Leenie - you're not alone in your struggle. Comparing ourselves is a dangerous practice. As you fan through this forum, you'll find our weight losses cover the spectrum in terms of amounts and frequency. I'm in the same boat you are with a great first week and then reality sets in that this process is not going to be a "quick fix." I've been on Atkins many times as well as other diets and I think my body knows what I'm up to and hasn't decided to get on board with me yet.

Hang in there. You are among friends. Maybe me make small changes in what you do if you think there is a real problem, e.g. increase water and exercise, add fat, reduce fat, monitor caffeine and artificial sweetners.. Sometimes no change is required other than patience.

I'm with you in spirit.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:32

BF:

WOW, Lady your doing great !

See there's hope for me yet.

I'm 38
LOW Metabolism, if any.
100 lbs Over Weight
Past 5 years not one diet's lasted over 2 weeks, maybe 33
I have a bad back so exercise has been minimal to me, but I plan on working on that too. I have the leslie sanson walking tapes I plan on using.
No Meds here either.

BY GOLLY !!! I'M SAD lol haaaaaaaaaaaaa !!

THANK YOU HOPE !!! I WILL TRY and I will try not to be such a whinner

Last edited by Leenie : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 12:34.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:34

Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hope4me.
Have you any experience using a pendulum? I have a "different" idea for you, if your interested. A little on the "alternative" side, but you never know! You can email me if you want to know more.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:40

Hi Hope4me

Quote:
I noticed you mentioned whether or not Leenie's friend had been on a diet before as impacting results. I have wondered about this. Have you read anything about that?

Each time you go on a diet you can affect your metabolism. I know I screwed mine up with the low calorie diets I followed in my 20's and thirties. What this means is that your metabolism has already slowed down a bit and usually results in you losing weight slower. What I really love about this way of life is that I've consistently been losing weight for 2 years now. Yes, I've had a few plateaus, but the weight keeps going down. On most other plans all weight loss would end after 6 weeks and no matter what I would do I would lose no more. I think I put my body into starvation mode.

Therefore the more often you have dieted, whatever the plan, the more likely you are to find that your weight loss is slower. There is hope for everyone though.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:19
Registered Member

BF:

Beadworker... how do I email you? I haven't quite figured this system out. Let me know. Thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:35

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hope,

Just click on the "pm" icon on the bottom of your post and enter the recipient's name and type your message and send.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the info., Calamari, but when I click the pm, it says I don't have permission to access that.. it gives me a bulletin message. Do you know what I may be doing wrong? Try to send one to me.

Addendum: I did a little research and discovered I haven't earned my privilege to email yet. Have to post 25 times before the PM is activated. Guess I better get typing.

Last edited by Hope4Me : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 16:00.