Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:28

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%
Default Water Retention--how to get rid of it?

I've been stalled for about 8 weeks, and in the last two weeks, have GAINED 4 pounds. I lost about 6 pounds in the first two weeks, and four pounds in the 4 weeks after that. Now I'm up to 143 again. I've convinced myself it's only water because I can't get my ring off in the morning and my hands feel puffy. This is not a TOM issue. The only thing I've changed recently, was add lemon slices to my water, because lemon is supposed to be a natural diuretic. I've also switched to Nu-Salt salt substitute.

Although I'm no longer on Induction per se, I still eat less than 30 carbs a day, drink the required amount of water, and have only added berries, nuts, and yogurt to the induction list. I cut pepperoni out (one of my favorites!) thinking the salt might be causing me to retain water. So far no change. My clothes are tight again ARG! I get my exercise by giving an hour masage each day, walking or riding my bike to the store 1 mile, playing racquetball, or Yoga/Pilates 2x per week. Should I switch to another plan that would work better for me?

Typical Day:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with spinach, zuchinni, mushroom and garlic and parmesan cheese. Two slices of bacon. Decaf coffee with 1 TBSP cream.

Lunch: 1/2 c. full fat plain yogurt with 4-5 strawberries, a few walnuts, and one packet of splenda.

Snack: Iced Decaf and a protein bar (atkins) or some (8 or so) macademia nuts or a deviled egg.

Dinner: Chicken (sauteed in olive oil and garlic) or pork or beef, asparagus or brocolli, salad greens with red pepper, jicama, & sprouts.

Snack: Boiled egg or egg pancacke with sugar-free syrup.

My calories run about 1500. My fat is usually about 65%, protein is 30% and carbs 5%.

Any suggestions (rather than "me too!" posts) would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:45

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Poetree,

You might try looking for sodium in your foods. I noticed you eat bacon and macademia nuts -- both can be loaded with sodium. (Do you use fitday?)

Also, if it's been hot where you live, you might just be reacting to that. Many people tend to hold fluids more in the warmer weather. Try increasing the amount of water you drink - your body may be responding to heat by hanging on to the water it gets. 64 oz may work during normal weather, but in the heat we all need to consume more water.

Hope this helps.

Joan
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I agree with Joan. I have the same problem and I had to cut out my beloved macadamia nuts. You might try cutting out nuts and bacon and see if anything happens.

I know lots of people say taking a diuretic is not necessary on this WOE, but I take a "natural" water pill made by Sundown. I found it in the diet section with the Dexatrim and that other so-called diet garbage. But hey, it's working for me, so I'm going to continue taking it. And you only have to take 1 per day as opposed to 3 or more of some others.

If you're using fitday.com, try tracking your sodium intake in your custom goals. I don't normally salt my food, but I was amazed at how much sodium I was taking in with just the normal things I was eating.

Not giving medical advice here...just telling you what works for me.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:58

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/180/165 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

and I agree with Scorp. A natural water pill does good things for me, too. get them at GNC.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know that it's already been said, but, WATER! Funny how drinking water can rid your body of extra water, but it's true.

Another thing to note, artifical sweeteners tend to stall a lot of people, especially sugar alcohols. I actually have to count the full amount, not the 2 or 3 grams that the Atkin's bars suggest.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:52

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I did not see how much water you are drinking per day?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippygal
I did not see how much water you are drinking per day?

I fill two 33.8 ounce bottles (67.4 oz) and don't go to bed until they're gone. some days I drink a glass or two extra.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcaver
Poetree,

You might try looking for sodium in your foods. I noticed you eat bacon and macademia nuts -- both can be loaded with sodium. (Do you use fitday?)

Also, if it's been hot where you live, you might just be reacting to that. Many people tend to hold fluids more in the warmer weather. Try increasing the amount of water you drink - your body may be responding to heat by hanging on to the water it gets. 64 oz may work during normal weather, but in the heat we all need to consume more water.

Hope this helps.

Joan

Thanks for your response. I actually haven't had any M nuts lately, though i did have some soynuts. You may be right about the heat...it's been really hot here lately and I got sunburned the other day...may be contributing to the water retention. IF all this is is water (sticking head in sand)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 16:05

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

For what it's worth, parmesan is high in sodium, too.

Also, are you drinking bottled water? My allergist told me some time ago that if you drink tap water, the chlorine will make you lose fluid too quickly, so like not drinking enough, your body starts retaining fluid.

Just a thought,
Jinx
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 16:18

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

No matter how much water I pump or how much I limit the salt I retain water. At the health food store they have really good natural alternatives to help with getting rid of the water. The one I use is called K I think.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJinx
Also, are you drinking bottled water? My allergist told me some time ago that if you drink tap water, the chlorine will make you lose fluid too quickly, so like not drinking enough, your body starts retaining fluid.

Just a thought,
Jinx

Whoa! I switched from bottled water to a Britta filter on the tap about three weeks ago...about the same time I started gaining/retaining water. You may have hit on something. I decided bottled water was to dern expensive so i would just filter it with carbon. You think???

Thanks for the epiphany Jinx! I'll switch back to bottled water and see if that makes a difference.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 17:35

Default ah phoeey

I did a search on chlorine and it turns out the britta filters out this chemical, so that's probably not it. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

post on water choices :

Last edited by poetree : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 17:38.