Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 21:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/145/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 6%
Default Atkins and Pregnancy

Hello all, I have a burning question to through out there.

My DH and I are trying to get pregnant. I have been told Atkins and pregnancy are a no- no, but I am still in induction and really feel this is now a plan I can stick with (lost inches not so much as pounds). So how do I do this? Stay high protein low carb, and still get the nutrition I and the baby need without gaining 70lbs as I did with my son?

ANY advice, wisdom, clarity etc is most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi there,

This very question was asked recently; you might want to check out the discussion in this thread .. Atkins when pregnant.

All the best to you and your family

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:53

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I just wanted to wish you much luck. I also gained 70+ pounds with my first son and then I watched what I ate and followed the maintenance and gained 20lbs and I was very happy with that. Good Luck to you
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 00:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

While trying to get pregnant, go ahead and stick with the induction and OWL. Estrogen is stored in fat cells. Over weight women have a harder time concieving, higher chances of complications while pregnent, and higher chances of problems with the baby. Getting closer to a healthy weight will not only improve your chances of concieving, but also make for a healthier more comfortable pregnancy.

Once pregnant you shouldn't try to lose weight, it can be too hard on the baby. Instead move to maintanance. You're body only needs around 200-300 extra calories a day while pregnant, but a ton more nutricion. It is much better to eat extra veggies, carbs, protien, and fats then to load up on sugar and empty carbs. Keeping your insulin and blood sugars under control can also help avoid gestional diabietes.

Go to the Atkins web site and do a search on pregnancy. It has come great articles as well as success stories of those who have stuck to the plan while pregnant, then used it to lose after. Also check out the LC Parents board on this Forum. It can help to answer alot of questions, and you will meet more women in the same situation as you are.

Good luck, you can succeed on both counts