Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/256/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%
Angry I RANT, therefore I AM...

Okay You Guys...

I MUST get this off my chest...has anyone else been spreading the Atkins gospel, only to find those willing to try this WOE are UNwilling to READ THE BOOK???

You know, cover to blessed cover...I can't seem to impress upon these new "converts" that they need to make DANDR their (dare I say) Bible...I refer to it at least once a day, as well as accessing this great site daily.

Argh. I find myself giving lectures and tutorials to those who have stalled, are bored with the menu, etc.

I'm thinking of charging for my knowledge

Dana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:41

Stats: 262/210/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

DanaJo...open a shop, sell some supplements and call yourself a healthclub!!

Everyone around me wants to duplicate the effects without knowing the cause, so if ya need a co-investor, let me know!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:43

Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

Perhaps when these folks come to you for advice, etc. just tell them that you can't remember everything, and as you don't have your copy of DANDR with you, they really need to pick up their own copy, to have handy for all their questions. I used this tactic with a friend of mine who was put on this WOE by his cardiologist. I finally got him to understand that the only way he would be able to do the program properly was to read the book, and understand the why's and how's of how this WOE works. Hope this will help you in some way.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I hear you loud and clear, Dana!

While it's certainly possibly to follow a low carb lifestyle without having read much about it (using word of mouth and the internet), there really is no substitute for reading the book, at least for the plan that you've chosen, and perhaps several more just to gain a good, rounded understanding of what low carb is and how it works as well as how it can benefit you in the long run.
With all the posts that I have read here on the forum, it seems to me that those who are must successful at sticking with this and making it a true lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet are those who have done their homework. As I've been known to say before, most sensible people wouldn't start out on a journey to a place they've never been before without a map or at least some good directions. Low carbing is no different and the book is your map and directions.

As the saying goes, "Nothing worth having comes without effort."
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 21:02
Registered Member

Stats: 267/256/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Very Well Said, Lisa.

You hit it on the head--you simply cannot go on this "diet" as a quick fix. It MUST become a WOL, and that realization only comes through research, putting new found knowledge into action, and reaping the many benefits...BTW, my newest "woo hoo" moment came when I felt my elbows...they have NEVER been this soft in recent memory...I've been on a "soft elbow high" for a few days now!!!

Dana
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:07

Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

I started out over 310 lbs. My weight was on my mind all the time. It effected every part of my life. When I decided to loose this weight it was simply the most important thing I have done in the last 10 years. I can't help believe that other obese people must feel the same way. So if it is so important I simply do not understand why so many people don't want to read the book. Understanding what is going on in the body makes it so much easier to stick with this WOE. And so much easier to problem solve if you run into stalls. Both my brothers wont read the book and so they call me every day with a ton of questions. I help them as much as I can but it sure can get frustrating.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 23:46

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

And heck, if they are being cheap first and lazy second, this may help them?
Walmart's price is $5.97
Atkins.com price is something like $4.50 right now (plus shipping).

If they are serious enough to read the book, they are (sadly) not serious enough to lose the weight. The first 2 days in, I asked for borrow my mother in law's book and within 3 days, I HAD to buy my own for reading and reference. I would have read the book BEFORE I started, if I could do it over again but by day 5, I knew all there was to know for induction.

Yeah, feign ignorance and tell them they MUST get the book so they can be mentally well equiped to lose the weight forever
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 00:14
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I feel like the Atkins guru at work too. I have suggested the book to most, but many are very poor readers and find it easier to ask those doing it, so I don't mind so much in helping them. The sore spot for me is the ones who haven't read the books, have listened to my advice to get started and then come tell me I have it all wrong a few weeks later. "I can have this" they say, or they tell me "you can't have that" which gets really annoying.