Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: Restarted Atkins 07/27/04
Stats: 267/244/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy Please help me

Hi. I've been lurking around his forum for quite some time. I get quite a bit of encouragement from reading people's posts and replies. Since I've hit a bump in the road, I figured now was the time to write. I have come to a point in my LC journey that I have been to before. I would like to get through it better this time.

Just a little history on me ... I was an Atkins success story when no one (general public) had ever heard of Atkins. I used it the first time in 1974 when I was just a teenager and 2 steps away from "fat kid camp." I went on the diet dropped 20-30#s and kept it off for 7 years. After that I tried numerous times to follow the program, but with only marginal success. Now 20+ years later and 10#s per year weight gain, I'm trying once more.

Over the recent years that I have tried LCing in earnest, but I seemed to stall after the first week and it's happening again. This time (after reading all of your posts), I've worked on increasing my water to at least 60oz of H20 per day, minimal carbs.. doubt I reach 20gms per day and I exercise 1x per week walking 45 minutes. I know that's not much but it's more than I usually do.

The first week I lost 8#s. I felt so positive. The 2nd week was my TOM and so I allowed room for stalling. Surprisingly, I didn't gain weight that week. After TOM had passed, I expected the scale to move again but it hasn't. I know there are still things I can do besides abandon ship, but everything in me wants to bail. I indulged myself tonight with a few spoons of peanut butter and some whipped cream to console myself. (I thought it better than outright rebellion). Yesterday I went to a birthday celebration that served choc. cake, peach cobbler and ice cream. I had a glass of water served in a wine glass and was content. One person said I had such great resolve which was followed by another's comment "not sure what that resolve is doing for her."

I'm sure my expectations are too high, but I'm struggling to keep my motivation. Please help. If you can't help, thanks for listening (reading). It helps.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:22

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Hope,

As you scan through the threads on this forum you will see that many are in your boat. The general consensus is that your body needs time to adjust, and weight loss will pick up again in a week or two. And everyone also mentions that you should take your measurements - they're a much better indication than scales.

Is there any way you can maybe start walking two times a week? And then from there gradually increase the exercise? That's really the only way to get fantastic results from Atkins - diet AND exercise!

But you are doing great so far - please don't give up!

Joan
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:26
Registered Member

BF:

Tag, thanks for the support. Yes, I can walk 2x per week. I'll add that and see. I think my memory remembers the ease with which I lost weight when I was young. Alas, things do change, don't they?!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:27

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

The old saying, "You can do anything you set your mind to" really is true. If you believe it, you can do it. Treat yourself like you are your friend (I know it sounds silly, but a lot of women don't do it). We are too harsh on ourselves. "You can't do this....you're too lazy....". You wouldn't say that to your best friend.....so keep the negative thoughts out and grab a bucket of KFC.
Drink that water, eat that fat and enjoy what you see!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

It may help if you weigh less frequently. I'm thinking about once a month because I get so down when the scale doesn't know how to register less!!! Yes, I am sure it is all the scale's fault.

There is so much more to this woe than just weight loss although it is important. It is not as important as the way you feel, your leveling of your blood sugar, and the improvement of all your organs.

Since I had been weighing once a week, I always feel good until I step on the scale. Then I feel down. I started this to feel better, not to look better. If not stepping on the scale is going to accomplish my feel better attitude that is what I am going to do.

Walk as often as you can and drink more water. 60 oz is just the beginning. I'm more into 120 oz. Just think the more water, the more you can float. I have read that water is a great diuretic.

It also helps to keep a positive attitude. This forum is great about cheering when you are ahead and picking you up when you are down.
We are here for you because it not only helps you it helps us.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:50
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, ScotJan, it is the scales fault...(both of them).

I was feeling pretty good physically and emotionally until the scale didn't move and the "catty" remark last night. All right, I will give the scales a break and just do what I'm supposed to do. The other thing is to not compare myself. I think that pushes my buttons, too, when I focus on those whose numbers seem to move so quickly. I realize there are as many people in my boat as there are in the other.

Thanks so much to everyone for the encouragement and the indulgence of my whining. Sometimes it is just like that.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:16

Stats: 246/214/165
BF:
Progress:

Hi HOPE ! I also did Adkins when I was a teeny-bopper, but in the late 60's early 70's. I've also done every other plan. I'm back again, and I am stalled too. I wish we could meet, cause I would be your rock. That remark about your resolve was ugly. Just making a decision to improve yourself, in any way at all, is a positive step in your life. Let me guess...the remark came from someone eating cobbler and cake and not drinking water out of a wine glass. Let's try to chat every day. I've been almost three weeks without a loss, but yo know what? Every day when I check the scales ( I know, I know) and they aren't moving, I jsut resolve to try one more day, because I just keep in the back of my mind the thought of how I'd feel about MYSELF if I were to give up now. Good luck, and DON'T STOP THINKIN' ABOUT TOMORROW !
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:25

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile Hope4me

Hi hope 4 me-- just keep on keeping on and don't for get your measurements. I found that even though I wasn't losing weight by the scale--I was losing inches. It sounds unbelievable but if you read alot of the information on the forums, you will find out that inches are probably as good a gauge of doing LCing as the scale is. Just keep going. One week or two without weight loss doesn't mean it isn't working. The next week you may see a 2 or 3 pound loss. I sure hope you give it a good go. You lost before--and yes as we get older it is harder to do, but it does come off if we just persevere!!!! Aleka
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:24

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well first off; to the person who threw out the catty comment.............get a life of your own!

Second; please don't console yourself with food, that does not solve anything

Thirdly; have a good look at my records, and remember that a week maintaining your weight is also a success. Where would I be, if I gave up cause I did'nt loose in a week or two? I know........... 190 #'s by now

Hang in there, Cheers Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:45

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Hope!!

I am sure that alot of people on this board have felt the very same way that you are feeling, including myself. Hang in there, you know that you can do it and we know that you can do it. We are all here for you to support you and cheer you on. As for the darn catty remarks that someone always tends to have, don't worry about it let it roll off your back!!! some people just don't have anything nice to say. Keep at it, don't give up!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 01:22

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Don't give up, you've done this before and you know you can do it again!! I haven't lost anything for the last 2 weeks, but I'm feeling good and *gasp* fitter (I actually jogged twice this week, not far I admit, but I've never been able to do that before!).

Think of this WOE as a pampering treatment for yourself, it's enjoyable and makes you feel and look good. Go and lay in a bubble bath with a magazine and think how fabulous you're feeling and how wonderful you're going to look.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 04:25

Stats: 323/291.8/220 Male 77
BF:34.0
Progress: 30%

Hope - You are doing a great job. Hang in there! We all know its hard to do and I am a firm believer to get off the scale. You are here and doing Atkins because you want to lose weight and feel good about yourself-right? You might consider walking 3 to 4 times a week but for only 15 minutes each time to start You are doing this for you and not the scale. Put the scale under the bed or in a closet and take it out once a month to check if you want too. Make sure your are taking vitamins and minerals. We are all in this together, so keep in touch.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 05:03

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi, I think you are doing a good job. You need to gradually increase your water intake.(I was not much of a water drinker) . I even went up to 200 oz on very hot days. but now am staying at 100 oz. I think I was drinking too much. Check out my journal ,I had tom 2nd week also. And stalled until this tom passed,which was a week late. I now went down 3 lbs since this tom.I think it was like a 5 week stall or more. I am now trying to do the carbs on my own without using fitday , unless I eat something that I am not sure about.

Cindy
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:36
Registered Member

BF:

I just want to say thank you so much to all of you for the support and encouragement everyone has provided. It helps when you don't feel so alone in your pursuits.

I haven't abandoned ship... I didn't drink coffee today to see if the absence of caffeine helps. I'm going to track how much water I'm drinking because I have definitely increased beyond my norm. I'm going to go back to the gym today just because it's good for me. Does constipation impact weight loss/gain? I'm a pretty "regular" person and whenever I LC, the plumbing gets clogged. Will try to address this, too. I've decided to try some adjustments before I declare this program as "not working for me."

Again, I appreciate your suggestions and caring. It means as much to me as .. everything.

Hope4me (there really is!)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:45
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Remember that your body is going through big changes. It takes time for it to adjust. Increasing our protein intake makes it possible for the body to heal and repair muscle and muscle weighs more.

I am stalled and not losing inches either, but I started this for health reasons anyway. This is a WOL for me. I can never go back to eating carbs. The headaches will come back, the fatigue, the shortness of breath, and the leg pain ( which are all gone since starting Atkins).

99% of this WOE is mental. Good attitude and determination are essential.

A remark like that lady(?) made would make me so mad that I would say, "I'll show her!"

Good luck and hang in there. Be patient and it will happen.