Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:29

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%

Hi Sam

I would love to do this challenge as well. I have just got back from holiday and although I did a lot of walking, I also overate though not as much as I would have done in the past, so I'm hoping the scales tomorrow won't have me fainting away

I weigh myself at work so will do that tomorrow and then post my measurements on Saturday. I'm not sure I can get the pics done but will do my best.

I want to keep on doing Schwarzbein as I feel best on it. As for exercise, I want to start BFL and actually finish it. I had two previous attempts and got to about week 5, something like holidays or illness came up, and I stopped. This time I would like to do the 12 weeks and so I'm pleased to get some support. I'll start up my long-forgotten gym log and start posting from next week on there. Can't wait to start!!

Judy
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default Okay With Me

Well, I definitely take that measurement... some times it seems that the only thing I'm losing is "back fat"... not a bad thing, but would like to see some of the other disappear.

DH took pics last nite... will upload them this evening.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:55
Canuck Conundrum

Stats: 283/000/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:?///?
Progress: 275%

Okay kiddies....I must be really serious this time. Have no faith in my own discipline at home...so Curves it is!!!!!

Now I can just work on myself for filling in the other days at home...but I'm sure once I get going that will be easier.

Sam
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:17
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I know it hasn't begun yet but i'm doing the work, so i'm takin the credit.

Today: 18 minutes on a rower and then 22 minutes on exercise bike in fat burn mode.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:47

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Oh, I would LOVE to join too! Glad this is starting the 20th rather than the 15th. Hopefully I'll get my pics done tonight .

I'll post my goals, stats and pics in one post to keep everything together. Can't wait!!!!!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:50

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

Hi!
I am doing weight lifting and cardio on alternate days, taking Sunday off. Somewhat, Body For Life. I also throw in some days at Curves when I can make it or if I feel that I haven’t worked out enough.

Arm, upper left: 12.5
Arm, upper right: 13
Forearm left: 10
Forearm right: 10
Chest (under arms): 36
Chest (under breast): 33
Breast: 39
Belly button: 37
Natural waist (smallest part): 34.5
Lower abdomen: 40
Buttocks: 40.5
Under buttocks: 38
Thigh left: 22.5
Thigh right: 23
Calf left: 14
Calf right: 14

Good Luck Everyone!
Saturn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.JPG (5.8 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by SaturnStar : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 08:16.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:12
Canuck Conundrum

Saturn....pm me your e mail address. I have taken your pics from the gym log and put all three together, and sized them ready to go...but you will have to post them as an edit in your post here...so I need to mail them to you.

Sam
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:25

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 130/119/110 Female 61
BF:??

Alright! I'm in ketosis and I'm down 2 lbs as of this morning (126 lbs!) I CAN do this!! I have my first appointment with my trainer tonight at 6 pm to tweak my workout plan.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:39
Canuck Conundrum

Woooo Hoooo Kyah!

I'm pumped too....just got in from signing up at Curves. Looked a little tame to me, but I'll probably adjust that opinion after my first workout...lol

Had a nice friendly disagreement with the woman there that signed me up when she told me I drink too much water...but she'll get over it.... I live to educate these poor folks....lol

The participant roll is building nicely here....

Sam
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:42
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Sam wohooo I am proud of you for joining Curves. Email me some info on it please..price and so on. I was interested to maybe joining just for a switch here and there..if not too expensive.

I did my 4 Mile WAP this morning and Pilates this afternoon
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 21:25

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Okay, here goes! The following is my "official" post for the Midsummer Madness Fitness Challenge:

GOALS
1. Get some form of exercise at least 5-6 days a week (3-4 workouts MUST be in the morning before breakfast)
2. Work on abs 2-3x per week
3. Work on upper body (weights) 2-3x per week
4. Go for brisk, long walks (minimum 1.5 miles) with pedometer at least 4x per week
5. Stay on an induction type menu consuming no more than 20-25 carbs per day (or 160 for the week which averages out to about 23 per day).
6. And finally, the tuffy-- loose 15-20 lbs

MEASUREMENTS
Chest: 34"
Bust: 42"
Waist: 35.5"
Hips: 45"
Belly Button: 42"
Thighs: 26"
Knees: 17"
Calves: 16"
Upper Arm: 13.5"
Forearm: 10"

BEFORE PICTURES (Soon to become my old "fat" pictures!)
Lastly, attached are my pictures (yucky poo-poo!). Boy, seeing these was really a rude awakening -- let me tell you! Hopefully I won't look this dumpy for long! I can't wait for the after pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.15.03.jpg (34.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg mfcarms.jpg (19.8 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by sunspine17 : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 12:17.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:51

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 130/119/110 Female 61
BF:??
Default About abs...

Hi, just wanted to say that abs shouldn't be worked more than about 3 days a week. Normally about 2 days a week, with a couple of days in between. You don't want to build the muscle there, just strengthen and tone it, and you want to give your muscle time to repair itself. If you overdo it you can make your waist thicker. This is information from a trainer. Hope that helps a bit My lower tummy and hips are my problem area...and I wish I could just do crunches every day and lose that layer! But I guess if it were that easy, none of us would be here
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 23:33

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the info. on abs. That is going to be on my list for this challenge because I didn't actually do it the last one and it was on my list then as well.

Today I walked at the Y with a friend. We were a bit slower today than usual but ended up doing 3.25 miles in 65 mins. We're going to walk again on Thursday. I'm looking into getting some WAP tapes so that I can get my workout done earlier in the day.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 06:16
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMamma
Hi, just wanted to say that abs shouldn't be worked more than about 3 days a week. Normally about 2 days a week, with a couple of days in between. You don't want to build the muscle there, just strengthen and tone it, and you want to give your muscle time to repair itself. If you overdo it you can make your waist thicker. This is information from a trainer. Hope that helps a bit My lower tummy and hips are my problem area...and I wish I could just do crunches every day and lose that layer! But I guess if it were that easy, none of us would be here

Hi EarthMamma - Now I'm confused, I was told by a trainer that the abs could be worked every day - because it was such a large muscle group. When I was going to the gym the schedules he made up for people alternated lower and upper but some ab work was done every time. Also for years when I wasn't going to gym but did calesthenic type exercises at home I would do 100 sit ups a day without a thickening or heavy muscle buildup. If the muscle dosen't have time to repair itself then it shouldn't build up ???

I agree the little poochy area below belly button is hard to get rid of.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 06:29
Canuck Conundrum

Okay folks.....I guess the "water" discussion with the Curves lady got me going more than I thought...lol.

I'm going to post here a lengthy diatribe that I sent to another member a long time ago. It's affectionately known now as Sam's water lecture. Some of you will have endured it before, if so, please go on with your day...lol.

Just a note for those of you that may be confused by the numbers. I lost 85 lbs. low fatting....which of course resulted in a quick regain, at which time I started low carbing and got back down to my lowest....and am STAYING there. That's to explain the 3 years ago thing to those that know I only hit goal a few weeks ago.

I think that with a fitness challenge, and hydration during exercise, that water is critical....so I want to share this with all of you, because it was soooo important to me.

Three years ago I went from 265 lbs. to 180 lbs. in 13 months. People of course asked me how I did it. My short answer is always walking, watching what went in my mouth, and WATER.

When I started my quest, I was medicated for arthritis, suffered terribly with bowel problems, bad skin, headaches, bursitis, bone spurs, the list goes on.

I joined a support group for women trying to lose 100# or more...and on that site I read a lot of info, as well as a formula for water intake. I wanted to to anything that I could to help myself along, specially the relatively easy stuff. So water was one I could handle.

During my reading and research and relentless quest to feel better, I read some University studies regarding water and the human body. We all learned in school that the human body is made up of mostly water. I thought why is is that something that is so simple is something that we ignore. I wish I could remember the exact numbers, but it stated that somewhere around 70% of people in North American were chronically dehydrated, and that a HUGE percentage of the diagnosed cases of arthritis and other joint problems, all those mysterious and undiagnosed back problems and so on, were actually dehydration.

Think about it....joints are cushioned by the bursa, which is basically a sac of fluid. If you don't have enough intake, your body will rob these sacs, because there are parts that need it more.....like your digestive system...which CAN NOT function without fluid. Hence the problems with the joints. And the explaination of why digestive systems don't always work as they should.

Anyway....short story is that this all made sense to me, even on the most basic level. Our bodies are fuelled by food, but need water for the mechanics. So I drank my water, exercised the only way I knew I could keep up, and watched my food.

The weight came off, but that wasn't the only benefit. After three months I tossed out the meds for arthritis. My other body functions started working normally for the first time since I was a child. My skin got 100% better, my other aches and pains went away etc. etc.

Now realistically, I know that my poor joints felt better as they were carrying less weight, and the exercise also helped, but even my doctor agreed that the water had a great deal to do with it.

Soooooo, in answer to your question....yes, I think that it's possible that a lot of what you are feeling may in fact have something to do with dehydration. What I do know for a fact is that it sure can't hurt to focus on getting that water in you and seeing if it makes a difference. It sure changed my life.

I will also say that just passing this on has helped me focus too. I KNOW how important it is and I have let it slide somewhat myself, so I'm going to do for myself what I know I need to.

People risk their health taking meds to combat aches, pains, arthritis, digestion problems......so what is the risk in drinking lots of water to see if it works instead? I know it worked for me.

Imagine the poor woman I sent this to...who had simply asked me if i thought she was feeling poorly because she wasn't drinking enough water.....

Everyone have a wonderful day!

Sam