Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default What I do to STAY STRONG on Atkins. What do you do?

When I went to Starbuck's today, their pastries looked GREAT. I reminded myself that I can make some pretty snazzy treats at home with almost no carbs (and believe me, this is a trick to do as I am dairy allergic). My big downfall is usually sweets (mixed with flour) so I remind myself that I can make something with nuts, flaxseed meal or dark chocolate.
OY!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 04:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Low carb
Stats: 157/135/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 81%

I do the same thing! I have gotten wonderful chocolate chip cookie, chocolate muffin, vanilla pancakes, ect, ect. recipes that I try to always have on hand so when the urge to cheat comes, I can have a legal treat. It really makes this way of eating do-able for me. (If you hadn't noticed, I have a sweet tooth).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 05:52

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I allow myself a monthly reward meal (similar to CAD) and I just look forward to that when I want something offP.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:29
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:

Hey Jeanne: GET THE CAR BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!

(For those who don't understand the reference...go to the thread "So, You STILL want Pizza")

Best wishes;
Jake
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:33

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:

Thank goodness I don't have a sweet tooth, but when there is something that I see and its simply delicious and can't have it.. well I just remember how far I have come and how bad I would feel if I gave in and ate it, so far so good.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 07:10

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default what I do to stay strong on Atkins - sure you want to know?

I try all the self-affirmation stuff like visualizing and reminding myself how much better I feel; and I try to remember how awful I feel eating any carbs (please see my recent note in confession booth - not too graphic).

However, the real way I stand in line at Starbucks every day and look at all their high-carb options and even those horrible little perfect samples of sugar (cookies etc) they often have on the counter - I put my hand on my waist. I feel that I have a waist. I can feel with my fingers from there that there is not so much stomach anymore. And the "shelf" that the palm of my hand is resting on (this extra upper part of my butt/hips) is getting smaller and is smaller. And I reach deep down into the most surface vainest part of myself and say - I'm going to be really hot. And why delay that one extra hour, day, week, by eating one of these chocolate dipped peanut butter cookies manufactured by someone who wants me to be ugly. I'm sexy and you won't get me! No no! No sugar for me - I'm having just a shot of espresso! Oh, and a NY Times. Thanks, have a nice day.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:02

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I just try to stay strong. I don't have any special routine. Sometimes I do leave the room when there is a temptation around.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:24

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

I just know I would never give in to a dessert because I would never want to ruin my success. I also know that I can make something just as good with the Atkins bake mix.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:25

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I remind myself how horrible induction and withdrawal was and that I don't want to go thru that and also lose 3-4 days of ketosis while my body goes thru the stuff I want to cheat with. One or 2 bites just isn't worth it.

Not to mention the guilt and feelings of letting myself down.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The longer you are on this WOE the less the cravings are. I have about 6-7 Low Carb cookbooks though. That way when a craving doesn hit, I just remind myself I can go home, and make it Low Carb, and not have to spend money buying it. It also helps to think about eating the item and how overly sweet it would taste and how upset my stomach would be. I also visualize all my hard work and the scale and decide it's not worth it.

I seem to remember you had candidia, right? I apologise if I'm misremembering. The yeast can make you crave sweets because the sugar feeds it. You might examine your diet to make sure your not having anything that's aggrivating it, such as hidden vinigar or wheat. If your eating is great, you might try more agressive treatments, including yeast fighters, probiotics, and yogurt as a treat
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:13
Registered Member

Stats: 250/212/175 Male 5'11
BF:29%
Progress: 51%

I view all products such as that as poison. May look good, but it will kill ya. I also remember how lethargic,moody, depressed, fat, and low i felt eating all that garbage.
I view cheating as saying "remember all the days you did good? and how well its working? Dont start wasting that time by counter acting it now"

seems to work for me.

although i have nightmares about eating the doughnuts in kroger..lol
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:21

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:

Hi LadyBelle:
Yup, I have the yeasty beasties!
Nope, none of the bad foods in my diet (my diet is so bland that it would make most people run away from Atkins as fast as they can but I'm used to food restrictions for the last...wow...8 years now).
I think the stronger the yeast infection, the more likely one will get sugar cravings (even when I am avoiding all sweets). Hormones play a role in it but I have consistently resisted.

I can't imagine what *too sweet* would taste like as I haven't cheated - I hope I will know how that feels if I ever go there.

Mammoth-
I tried the car battery trick but for some reason, when I attached the cable to the sweets, they didn't react, so I ate them (just kidding).
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:47

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

For all the reasons listed above and because of the energy level. Before I was tried all the time. Now I wakeup energized and more than ready to start my day. I love the way I feel. I will never go back to that.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:11
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I remind myself how I get that horrible "hangover" feeling after a carb binge. Now, I also have a bigger incentive: my 13 yr old stepdaughter is doing this with incredible resolve and seeing great results. She was the worst sugar addict I ever met, and if she can do it, I can.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:50
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

I use to work at starbucks for a couple of years..and when i finally left the company I lost 20pounds. If you ever get tempted to eat any of their pastries, ask to see theri nutrition guided, that will keep from slipping..lol.