Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:19
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%
Default Need black bean expert

So I went into a Chinese Grocery store the other day and asked if they sold black soy beans and was told "soy beans only come in white". They then tried to sell me black beans (the kind that’s used in Asian dishes like ‘beef and black bean’). Are black beans and black soy beans the same thing? Today I was in a gourmet food store and found a bag of black beans labelled ‘Canadian Black’ but the shop assistant didn’t know anything about them and there was no other information on the bag. Can anybody help me on this?

Zedgirl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:35
Registered Member

Plan: Aitken/pp
Stats: 204/200/166 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Black beans are black beans(beef and black bean). Not black soy. Soy beans are white and are used to make many things, coloured at the whim of the manufacturer. Canadian Black are another type of lentil altogether.
Hope this helps
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:49
Say cheese!

BF:

So when they talk on this forum about 'Eden' brand black soy beans to use in chili etc. are they simply white soy beans that have been coloured black?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
are they simply white soy beans that have been coloured black?
There is such a thing as black soy beans and the only place I've ever seen them is in a Japanese food store. In Japanese, they're called kuromame.

If you do a Google search and click on images, you can see pictures of them.

The fermented or salted black beans found in Chinese grocery stores are also made from black soy beans.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 23:27.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:38
Say cheese!

BF:

Thanks Karen
I tried looking in a Japanese food store first and was told to go to a Chinese food store!
So I think I understand now...black beans are just fermented/salted black soy beans and 'Canadian Blacks' are lentils?...none of which I can put in chili I assume.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 07:44
Forum Founder

BF:

I'm not too sure what Canadian Black Beans are because I've never heard of them! They could be lentils because a lot of lentils are grown in Canada or they could be black beans grown in Canada.

If you're really hankering for beans in your chili, you can use the plain old yellow soy beans. The do have a low carb count.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:30
Say cheese!

BF:

The Canadian Black Beans look like beans not lentils. As far as I know lentils are round and these are bean shape. I'll give the chili dilemma some thought...can probably do without the beans.
By the way thanks for the google tip on doing an 'image' search. If you knew the amount of hours I've wasted trying to find pictures of different stuff to find that that was all I had to do!! My d/h is thrilled as well.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 03:55
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

They're not Black Turtle Beans by any chance? I don't think they're related to soybeans but a lot are grown in Canada and the US.

Emily
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedgirl
So when they talk on this forum about 'Eden' brand black soy beans to use in chili etc. are they simply white soy beans that have been coloured black?

The Eden brand "black soybeans" ARE a type of soy bean and they ARE black. They are smaller in size than regular yellow soybeans, and have a slightly lower protein and fat content, and slightly higher starch content. They also have a milder flavour; less soy-ey.

I have searched high and low for information about these ... they are not very popular outside of China and Japan. There's only a few growers in the US ... and the Eden company is the only major producer of a canned product. One member a long time ago posted that she had found dry black soy beans at a natural foods store, but had to buy in bulk, like a 10 lb bag

There's a lot of confusion and controversy over the true carb content of the Eden canned organic black soy beans. The label currently reads .. 8g carbs, 7g fiber ... so folks subtract the fiber and come up with Yay!! 1g net carbs. Wow, really super low carb beans!! Wrong! The fiber has been pre-subtracted and the beans do provide a full 8g net carbs per ½ cup serving. Remember my finding that these black soy beans have a higher starch content than regular yellow soy beans? Anyway .. there has been heated discussion on the topic, including emails from the Eden company .. check out this thread for more info.

That being said, 8g net carbs is still lower than most other beans, and if you're really craving chili or black bean soup, these may be a good option if you stretch them out with lots of other LC veggies and meat.

hth,

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 16:19
Registered Member

BF:

QuoteL
kuromame.

If you do a Google search and click on images, you can see pictures of them.
I don't have an "Images" icon to click on can you help?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:20
Say cheese!

BF:

Hi Doreen

I’ve decided to go without the black beans. I don’t crave beans or chili….just thought it would be nice for a change.
As far as the controversy over carb counts go it’s not just beans it seems. I’m constantly coming across conflicting carb counts when I read labels and look up different books and carb counters on the web. Eggs are a prime example. My egg carton lists a serve of two 59g eggs as having 0.3g carbs. Other counts I’ve seen for eggs claim they’re 0.6, 0.75 and 0 per egg (I’m assuming a rounding down on the 0 count). Do you think Australian chickens eat less sugar ? Do you always go with the highest carb count to be on the safe side?

Going2doit

Was your question how to do a Google image search?
If so when you go to do the Google site you’ll see individual blue tabs across the top of the page labeled Web, Images, Groups etc. Just hit the image tab when you do your search and voila…pictures!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:36
Forum Founder

BF:

Another black bean sighting...

Found them this week in a Vietnamese/Thai/Laotian store.

About the eggs, the carb count will vary depending on the size, but 0 is just plain silly.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 22:54
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on Google. So simple.
Now for another question
How do I insert a quote from another message into a response ???
Cheers
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 23:34
Say cheese!

BF:

If you look at the bottom of all posts, you'll see some little icons. The last one (on the far right) says 'quote'. Just click this icon on the post you want to quote from and it does it for you. Then I think you just delete the text you don't want included (dont delete the stuff in brackets at the beginning and the end though). I haven't done it before now but I just did a test in the 'testing' forum and it worked. Do you know about this part of the forum?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 23:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedgirl
If you look at the bottom of all posts, you'll see some little icons. The last one (on the far right) says 'quote'. Just click this icon on the post you want to quote from and it does it for you. Then I think you just delete the text you don't want included (dont delete the stuff in brackets at the beginning and the end though). I haven't done it before now but I just did a test in the 'testing' forum and it worked. Do you know about this part of the forum?

Hey it does work thanks for your info