Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/178/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default At what point did you start wearing new clothes?

I have lost about 12-15 lbs and my clothes are feeling loose. I am losing about 1-2 lbs per week. Summer clothing is heavily discounted right now and in a recent shopping trip I wasn't sure what size to buy.

If I buy my current size, it will be too big in a few weeks. If I buy too small, it will be fall before I have a chance to wear it. Should I just wait until fall and see where I am and buy that size?

All of my pants and skirts have elastic waists. Has anyone worn their current clothes until they started falling off? Anyone kept things together with safety pins or stitches to avoid buy "intermediate sizes?

Many thanks!
SC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:57

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

When I hit 20 lbs I went into another size and bought new clothes.

I guess I'm lucky because I have a wardrobe in about 4 different sizes.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 21:36
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

When I hit 30 lb. loss I had to get some new jeans. Went from a 22 to a 18. Have taken in some things. Bought a pair of size 16 yesterday. Don't want to buy too much because hopefully I won't be in them long. I've also bought some things at thrift stores. Got a beautiful suit for $2 in size 14. Hopefully can wear it by fall.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:43

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

I really need new pants. All of mine are too big. I hate buying clothes though.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:00

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Sun Country:
Maybe get a single pair of shorts and a matching shirt and wear it as your weight loss *show off* outfit. That way you won't spend much on clothes and can have one thing to really feel good in. If you are consistently losing weight, there is no point in buying many clothes (regardless of sales) in your current size. Next summer you won't need them anyway. If you know about what size you will be at 140, maybe buy an outfit or two for next summer since the stuff is on sale

I too have LOTS of skinny clothes left over from a few years ago, so as I lose weight, I just get to fit back into older clothing (or shorts that were so tight before it was laughable that I would even try to fit into them )
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:15

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 223/207/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

If you look on the bright side...What a great problem to have!

#7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:47

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have hit the 50 pound lost mark recently and am having a similar clothing dilemma. I have not bought any new clothes yet but my jeans (non elastic) look like clown pants but yes, I do use safety pins to secure them.

Embarassing story: I was wearing my safety pinned jeans to the post office and while waiting in line realized my safety pin had fallen out and I was flashing the top of my undies for the whole post office to see. After that happened I am not wearing those jeans anymore!

Now I have one pair of pants that fits because of its drawstring elastic waist so I wear those everyday. (Am not employed currently) And bought a pair of jeans that are too small at a salvation army.

AFter having only one pair of pants left I am prioritizing going to thrift stores to find something to wear, and donating old clothes that I will not wear again!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 00:53

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

After the first month I dropped from a 22 to 18 and bought my 'summer wardrobe' pair of jeans, smart trousers, 2 t-shirts, 2 dressy tops, I have enough shorts with draw string waists to last the summer even if they are huge on the hips and bum I made sure the jeans and trousers both had belt loops so as I get smaller I can cinch them in - all I have to do now is buy a belt lol Everything I bought was in the sales, I couldn't spend a fortune for clothes that will only last me for a few months (fingers crossed).
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 05:53

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

When I lost 40 pounds I went from a 22 to an 18. I am still in the 18... damn apple-shape. <mutter>
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:26
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:

I have always had new clothes...except they never fit me! Maybe by years end I will be able to get some of them on!
Best to all you SKINNIES!
Fat Jake
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:40

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I think I had lost thirty pounds before I *really* had to move down a size. Went from an 18 (too tight) to a loose 18 during that time and then meandered down to a 16 and somehow in the last 15 lbs. down to something between a 12 and 14 (depends on the fit of the clothes).

One thing I would recommend is checking out the local Good Will and your friends who are overweight. Hit them up for their old clothes (grin). Anyway...I've found several cute outfits for work for $7.50. Nice suits! Sometimes you can even find designer clothes that are in excellent shape and here they only charge $7.50 for the really nice stuff. I figure I won't be in them long enough to pay a couple hundred for a suit, and since I come from a long line of yardsale junkies, why not save a few bucks

L (ala tightwad)
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

I had so many clothes in my closet that were too little. Some were from at least 10 years ago. They are all getting lose on me now. I have bought a few new things and I always buy them tight. But mostly I am going to wait til I lose a little more before I go buy more. The one thing I did have to buy was undies, lol. Mine were falling off.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:53

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:

When I lost 30 lbs I went out and bought a few things because I was tired of holding my pants up with safety pins

Last edited by LCalamari : Tue, Jul-15-03 at 06:56.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:00

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

The way I bought clothes a couple weeks ago was this.....find that size that fits just perfect, not too loose and not too tight. Then I go one size smaller Sure it's kind of tight for the first few weeks, but it gives me that extra motivation to stay on course so I can fit in to the clothes.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:27

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

I have been buying new sizes every month soon I will have my own clothing store lol.