Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5"7
BF:
Progress:
Question advice needed badly

I need some advice and motivation. I have tried to start the Atkins diet 4 to 5 times in the last month and can't seem to get past day 4. I become increasingly hungry and tired as the days go by. I want to be able to reach the magic stage of ketosis, i am told this will decrease my appetite. How long does it take to reach this stage.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/265/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

It varies, some people one day others up to a week. Your body has to get rid of the garbage it has in order for ketosis to be achevied. You also must ensure that you are not getting hidden carbs. If you as not changing the color on the ketostix by day 4 I recommend posting what you eat and getting some advise. Have you read the book yet? I find referring back to it is helpful. The only way to get past day 4 is to make up your mind to get past day 4. I know how you feel, the withdrawal is brutal. When you feel stressed, just focus on one activity, walk, read etc...but stay out of the kitchen...lol. hope that helps. You can do it!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:25

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

It usually takes me 3 days but its different for everyone. Unfortunately its a matter of patience and it will happen. I have also heard of people not registering ketosis at all even though they continued to lose weight. Is there any change in color at all? you don't have to be at the darkest color to be in ketosis. Try posting a daily menu and we can have a look at it for you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I noticed you are in mississauga ~ I am in Hamilton, not far at all

Last edited by LCalamari : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 15:27.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:27
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

You are NOT supposed to go hungry at any stage of Atkins. Eat around 70% of fat and 26% of protein and you will not feel any hunger. Eat minimum 3 times/day. Also - drink water all the time while on induction.
That is the advice I can give you having very little info about you....

Good luck, you CAN do this!

Alina
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:34
Registered Member

Stats: 255/233/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I felt pretty crappy for the first 5-7 days on this WOE.... I was able to get thru it however because at that time I was dropping weight like crazy...almost every day I was down another pound...sometime during the second week I noticed I had more energy than before and now on the first day of week 6 this is still the case.... even though I am not feeling good due to TOM....just hang in there and most likely the bad feelings will pass... I am almost positive that I am allergic to wheat.... my skin is clearing up where I used to break out here and there and would get a rash on my forearms and now you can barely see a trace of it and I had had that for years and it was very annoying...also with TOM this month I am having cramps and some water weight gain... but I have gained 2 pounds this time when before I would gain at least 5.... also I am not having any problems emotionally from TOM this month when I always did before.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:52

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Plan 14 days where you won't be hit with any major temptations such as family get-togethers or birthdays, for the first few days PLAN your menu's, make it food that you really love that is LC, if you're hungry between meals have a LC snack, don't go hungry and make every meal a real pleasure to eat.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 16:17

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

welll... both your starting weight and your current weight of 125 are at the lower end of the normal range for your height of 5'7". 115 lbs is underweight in terms of BMI for your height. Don't be surprised that your body is fighting against going to underweight.

Last edited by Iwilldoit : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 16:18.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 16:19
Registered Member

Stats: 224/211/155 Male 176cm
BF:36%/32%/
Progress: 19%

There is a couple of things I would like to add.
I personally didnt find getting into this diet hard at all. I think it has to do with how I approached it.
Firstly, If you dont really like it, dont eat it!
It sounds simple, but it is so easy for folks to make a meal plan and then try to stick to it like glue even though they dont like it!
Choose something you really like instead.
It is that simple, really it will help you get past the first week or so if you just eat the stuff you love. As long as they are Atkins friendly that is!

Secondly, water, its been said many times before, but it really does put an end to alot of cravings as it seem to speed up the cravings-loss phase.

again, I remind you that I am not speaking from my own experience, because i did, and still do, only eat the stuff (mostly junk!) that I love.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Atkins Induction:
Hungry: EAT!
Tired: SLEEP!

That simple. You simply do what your body ask's...and stick to plan and acceptable foods! Beyond that, TIME and your body do the rest for you!

Start again...and stand firm...eat...sleep...be happy! You will eventually lose the weight!

Of course at your light-weight...it may simply take longer, so do have patience! Heck...I think my left thigh is heavier then you!

BEST wishes:
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 17:12.