Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 02:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Male 5 foot 9 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Any fellow UK low-carbers here?

HI

I am just starting my low-carb diet and finding the book a bit of a maze.

I was wondering if some fellow UK folk could tell me what they are eating in a typical day please.

I was told for instance that on a morning I could eat as much bacon and eggs as I wanted...hmmm. I wish

What do you usually eat for breakfast...or any other meals for that matter?

Your suggestions would help give me a better idea of what I can and cannot have.

thank you

UKGary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:50

Stats: 287/284/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Yes this diet is not quantative so you can have as much as you like, enough to satisfy yourself, although gorging yourself is not the idea. During induction have poached, scrambled, boiled or fried eggs plus bacon (or any other meat) for breakfast. I sometimes have mushrooms with it too.
For lunch I have prawns in mayo plus lettuce or hot roast chicken from the counter at the supermarket plus salad or something like smoked salmon or ham. Then I eat something like steak or pork/lamb chop with broccoli/green beans/courgettes/mushrooms/cauliflower or other low carb veg. Snacks if wanted are slices of ham or cheese. You can get a bit more adventurous once you are post induction and add in berries, yoghurt (full fat) and nuts in moderation. You can also add in the other treats like sugar free chocolate.

Last edited by muddy : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 08:52.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: The New High Protein Diet
Stats: 266/222/147 Female 167cm
BF:42.9/34.2/23.7
Progress: 37%

I'm a UK LC-er. And if you want any info on my daily foods:

www.livejournal.com/users/active_lowcarb

Hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 13:59

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Gary

Welcome to this forum and to the UK part. I also put my menus in my journal every day and as it has been going for nearly 160 pages that's a few menus. Also look in the recipes section there are ideas there for breakfast and other meals. Hints also in the Sticky post at the top of the Newbies questions.

The idea is to eat until you are satisfied. You are not excessively overweight and so you should not try to gorge yourself on this way of life. Enjoy it and hopefully you will reap the rewards.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:31

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Gary, here's a sample menu from me:

2 rashers bacon, 2 eggs scrambled with cheese (maybe a few mushrooms or fried tomato)

salad with egg mayo and some deli meat

steak or chicken breast with cauliflower and broccoli cooked with a little cream and heaped tablespoon of cream cheese and a grating of cheese

babybel or pepperami to snack on

That's just a quick sample hope it helps
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 03:01
Registered Member

Try not to gorge too much on dairy - after a while a lot of people have noticed it causes stalls!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:21

Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

HI

I'm new to LC too and finding i'm getting a bit stuck on what to eat. However i have chosen not to look at the recipes until i have finished induction as i just don't want to tempt fate or my will power!!
One of my favorite meals is simply minced beef squished into a burger, fried with a little cheese on top. It tastes so good but yet helping me lose weight, yummy.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 06:44

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default It's Jenny

Hi

I have been on the diet for only 3 weeks and I have already lost 14 pounds. Iam sure this will slow down as I eat loads of things!! I can't believe just how much of a selection I actually get on this diet. I am finding more and more things to eat at the shops too.

Just the other day in ASDA I found those 2 for £5 meals with between 1 and 3 carbs in them. What I do is add a few bits myself. Like mushrooms, onions, tomato, garlic, chili etc. If you have a small amount of those things the carbs are not high. I usually have a small salad with tea and 0 carb dressing. Any meat (be careful with sausages though) and don't forget the sugar free jelly. I also eat broccoli and asparagus and green beans( a few) cauliflower and spinach.
Lunch is usually some sort of salad. Chicken or prawn( you can even but them at boots)

breakfast varies and you don't have to eat eggs every day either. Clery and cream cheese I have or an Atkins shake is great. If I feel hungry I have 1 oz of red leister cheese. very low carb and fills me right up. I can go on and on if you like.

I go to the gym too which makes me really hungry after. At first I was getting dizzy but I wasn't eating enough and I found that if I had something to eat, even a handful of nuts that I was ok.
Plus lots of water. I struggled at first but hang in there, it will become easier. Now I manage about 8 glasses a day.

Jenny
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 01:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 281/280/168 Female 5ft5inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

remember nuts arent allowed during induction though.
hi gary, im from uk too, only been on atkins for 4 days (on 5th now) and lost 5 pounds already. i tried something new for breakfast today. slices of roast beef with cheese in between them, toasted to melt the cheese.... it was really yummy, but remember to stick to between 3 and 4 oz's of cheese per day or it could stall the weight loss.
good luck
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 04:15

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi im gem asda great for low carb got some fish fingers last week and just plain cod that i grilled also love the roast chicken that asda do
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 04:57
Registered Member

A good place to shop as well, is lowcarbmegastore.com - it's based in the UK!

I also have a good recipe for crustless pizza, if anyone's interested.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 06:15

BF:
Arrow uuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm pizza

Hi Cyashpal

I love pizza but have not had any since I started LCing. I would love your recipe! Oh - I use lowcarbmegastore! Isin't it great. I am awaiting an order now. Pancakes are the best! I have them on a saturday or a sunday for a treat.

Jenny
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 06:37
Registered Member

Hey Jenny!

Ok, so it's not an amazing pizza - it's crustless. How? Well, you get some minced meat (whether it be lamb, beef etc) and get a round plate. Grease the bottom of the plate with butter (so it doesn't stick) and flatten the mince down into the plate - make sure you mix an egg with the mince as well - so it's spread out like a base.

Bake that for about 10-15mins

Get some tomatoes (fresh or tinned) and mush it so it's pretty sauce like. (or, buy something like Dolmio) and put it on the 'base'. Then add the cheese, and all the toppings you like and let it cook!

Cook for another 10 mins.

Volia! Crustless pizza.

Last edited by cyashpal : Tue, Jul-22-03 at 06:42.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 12:27

BF:
Cyashpal

I will definately try that one! It's always nice to get new recipes. I have such a busy life abd I love simple foods. I have more time in the weekend but in the week I like to throw things together.

Jenny
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 13:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 281/280/168 Female 5ft5inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

im going to try that one too, sounds yummy! any more recipes? im on the induction phase though so im limited in what i can eat