Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 06:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default lose weight, feel fatter?

Strangly as I lose weight . . .it becomes more obvious how far I still am from 'normal'.. .it's a good thing there is all this extra energy and stuff from this WOL because this is where I start to get discouraged. . .I want to wear a size 8 right NOW! I want to stop being fat now. . .~sigh~ patience has never been one of my virtues. redawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 07:07
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I think a lot of us go through this. Part of the issue for me is the focus I am putting on what I look like, plus all the changes in my body. I've managed to spend much of my adult life ignoring what my body looks like. Now, all of the sudden I am focusing on it, so I find myself more dissatisfied than I was when I weighed 90 pounds more than I do now. Also, I have gone through greater physical changes in the last year than at any other time in my life except for adolescence and each of my pregnancies. Losing 90 pounds has been a huge physical change for me and I find myself focusing on my body a lot as I try to figure out what its new size is (I never know where I will fit and where I won't fit or which clothes will look okay on me versus looking awful on me). All this focus on my size makes me more dissatisfied, even though objectively I look much better than I did 90 pounds ago.

One thing I have been consciously trying to do is look around in public places and appreciate the range of body sizes and types. I see women all the time who are beautiful and exude self-confidence, even though they are larger than society considers "normal." I see skinny women who look positively unhealthy. (Of course, I also see fat women who look unhealthy and skinny women who are gorgeous as well.) Realizing that weight is not the sum total of the image we project is very important. Also, realizing that what we consider "normal" is in fact not normal -- most Americans are overweight -- helps as well.

Last edited by liz175 : Sat, Jul-12-03 at 07:09.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 07:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/suzanne sommers
Stats: 161/158/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Feel fat!

I also am losing a little weight so far...but the same thing...I just don't even feel like I am losing. About a year ago, I lost 30 lbs. on WW...and same thing...never felt like I lost a pd! What is up with that? It is great being able to wear smaller sizes and to know I am doing my body good...but it would also be great to feel it too.
I guess we are somewhat in the same boat.
Keep on keepin on...
Sandra Dee
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 12:00

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%

The more one has to lose the more this "fat brain syndrome" happens. I find that I buy a pair of jeans two sizes too small and try to get into them. Of course it's not happening. Then once a week I try them on and see if they fit any better. In about a month or six weeks you put them on and they zip up and look pretty good. Go out that night in your new jeans and shake your booty. It makes you feel 50 pounds lighter. Then go out and get a pair two sizes smaller than those and do the same thing. It's a small investment, but a great motivator. I went from a size 28 jean and now I have just ordered an 18 to fit in my the end of the year. My 22s are getting loose so I'm taking them up, but I have a cruise at the end of the year and I will be in those pants. If, of course, they are too big, I don't know if I could resist buying some 16s. I choose jeans because they are somewhat revealing, they don't cost that much (go to Newportnews.com and look at the jeanology section--i like the stretch ones) and I'd rather spend money on a pair of jeans than a food binge when I'm depressed.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 17:29
Registered Member

BF:

I'm so happy you are melting away! LOL! I did go and buy size 12 shorts and capris. Haven't been that size in a long long long time. But the thing is...I just don't feel it. I still feel I am big like I used to be. People tell me how good I look, which is wonderful...but I don't seem to see it myself. Oh well...maybe one day.
Take care,
SandraDee
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 20:51

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You know...I think it takes longer for our brains to realize we are smaller. My sister, who just lost 30 on low carb, went to buy new jeans. She just picked them up, didn't try them on. I took one look at them and told her they are way too big. She was like.....no...they are my size. Lo and behold, she tried them on and they were huge on her. She was just amazed.
It may take me a year to lose the weight but I know it will take longer for me to feel thin. Strange.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 08:01
Registered Member

BF:

I think you are right Cindy....cause it is taking me a very very long time!!!
Take care,
SandraDee
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 15:10

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Well it doesn't help that all my wicked cool clothes fit me nice 44 lbs ago. . .now everything cool doesn't fit me and the things I wear hang on me. . .But with three kids who are constantly out growing clothes it is hard to justify spending money on clothes I won't fit into in next year in summer. .. So right now I am wearing size 3x red stretch shorts that were large on me at my biggest. . .now they hang. .. I did not wear them before when they would have been closer to fitting. .. and now I need something for summer. But on a happy note T-shirts that i used to pull down around my middle to hide my tummy (silly name for a mountain of flesh!) now floats down to my somewhat smaller tummy (no longer a mountain. . .now a hilly marsh) my t-shirts used to 'fit' me around. . now they flow. . .alittle. redawn
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:38
Registered Member

BF:

That was a laugh Redawn!! You're doing great though!!! Keep up the good work.
SandraDee
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:21

Stats: 278/204/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default I hear you Redawn

For about two months now, I have been having the same feelings. I feel so much better about myself losing weight.....and then.......BOOM!! I am walking along with my husband and I catch a glimpse of myself in a store window and I feel sooooo fat...like I haven't lost a single pound and feel so bad about myself. I must have told my dear husband at least 6X the past few months about feeling this way. I can't wait until I have lost enough to feel normal again. Liz is right....I tried to ignore how I looked 52 pounds ago and now I am focused on my TRUE body image and I just hate it. I have tried to remember how I looked and felt before and it helps until I see that reflection in the window. I think it will take another 50 pounds before I feel somewhat NORMAL and that is a long way away. I rejected weight loss surgery in January and have never had any regrets, but it is hard. I cry a little and then get stronger willed to do it this time. Sorry so long and thanks for listening.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:51

Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

I think you are right. I went to buy undies the other day. Mine still fit fine so I bought the same size. I put a pair on today and they are too big. They stay up but are baggy in certain parts. Guess I'll have to get more soon. I don't mind though!

carla

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcindy
You know...I think it takes longer for our brains to realize we are smaller.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:58

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

I feel the same way....I have lost 64 lbs and I still feel very fat.....I too like Kathryn stated ,look at my image in a glass window walking and think.. I look fatter than I did before....And its true that when we are at our fattest we tend to now even notice our body images......but now.....I totally pick myself apart...my hubby says to me.....you look great....but then I have to say...no I dont...Im still so fat....I pray Someday I will not say that...I will learn to accept compliments and say thank you.

And I have to admit to being impatient.....I have to keep remembering it took me years to get this way...it may take a few years to be the weight I want...quick weightloss is not the answer..I want to know my body..learn to understand what it tells me.....and live the best way I can.
Thanks Ketodiva for the advice...I may just go out and buy me a size 14....there is nothing like not being able to get a pair of pants over your thighs...then one day getting them up...on and buttoned.....whohoo.....

Good luck to everyone...this is NOT an easy journey....but with friends like all of you....it certainly will make it alot easier......

take care
Janet