Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 11:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/209.5/140
BF:
Progress: 7%
Angry Mis Information makes me Mad!

I went out to the kitchen to make a salad and my husband was watching some show on "lite cooking." Some poor overweight woman was being told by a "nutritionist" how to properly eat and cook meals for herself. The woman complained of eating breakfast and then by lunch time being starving. The nutritionist advised her to eat cereal with berries on the top or some lite whole wheat toast with fruit. Everything the woman was told to eat was low fat and full of sugar and carbs. It made me so mad to think of this poor woman getting bad info which will lead her to fail/ When this "nutritional low fat" eating doesn't work for her, she will get discouraged, think it her fault and continue the cycle!
I wish everyone would see the light!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 11:52

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I understand and feel the same way. Low-fat diets never worked for me and Atkins is the only one that ever has, and I love it. What angers me even more is the way some people view the Atkins diet...."OHHHHH, thats an awful diet, it causes heart attacks, problems with you liver and kidney" its like, oh really??? I never asked for your 2 cents....There is my vent!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I feel so badly for some people I see at the grocery store. I don't mean to look at what they are buying but when you are standing in line...well. I wish I could tell them that stuff is killing them!
Hopefully since low carbing is being covered more in the media more people will be blessed with the truth.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:51

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I saw a similar thing when I went to check out a new low carb recipe book from the library.

There was a woman there about my size and she was in the same two areas as me looking for books - she looked like she was trying to start a diet. She had a 'soy zone' book in her hands, a vegetarian cookbook, a crockpot cooking book, diabetic cooking, just all sorts of books on various ways of eating all which say theirs is the healthiest.

I felt sorry, I wanted to say something on which would be the 'right' way to go but I didn't. She was still looking for more books when I left.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:06

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

The WORST thing I can eat in the morning is carbs. I can't even eat berries or tomatoes for breakfast. If I do, I feel like I am starving all day long-what I call "pseudo-hunger." Many other people on this forum have said the same thing. They have to save their carbs for lunch or dinner.
It's probably the same problem that woman on TV had.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:23

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Kinda makes you want to post our results on one of those "low fat" forums--say, weight watchers, doesn't it?

judy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:26

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Recently when doing my weekly shopping. I heard a women telling her dh (rather loudly) that the only way to lose weight was low fat and to put the chips back. I thought if you only knew. I find that most advices is by word of month very few have actually read the book.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 14:53
Registered Member

Stats: 142/133/120 Female 5' 5"
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

I totally agree with all of you!!! When I think about "dieting" now, I see it a lot differently than before the day I decided to buy the Atkins book. We are trained our whole lives to believe that FAT is our enemy, i.e. George Foreman's grill (drains all the fat), all of those empty veggie cans full of grease that my mom used to hoard for some strange reason, low-fat cook books, "lean" meats, etc. I have lost more weight with this Atkins diet, and successfully kept it off, than I did when I took Adipex a couple years ago, which made me a little crazy and I ended up on anti-depressants for the next couple years. I tell everybody about this diet and usually get the same response, "I can't quit eating bread" or "that diet is just too strict". My answer "You want results, with Atkins, you will get them, the end!" Everybody has their own opinion though and those low-fat dieters will always be out there cause that is how we are all trained! I guess people have a hard time believing that consuming fat actually makes you lose fat if you do it right! Thank God we low-carbers have stumbled upon this path, I like this WOL much better than starving!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:20

Stats: 249/229/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile

hi everyone,

i do believe low-carb eating is beginning to become more "mainstream" as there are more and more products in "normal" grocery stores and super markets.

About 6 weeks ago, i went to the doctor for the dreaded annual physical. my weight was up higher than ever (rebounding from LA Weight Loss). i told my doc that i was going to start a low-carb plan, like Atkins. He said that was good but he considered it more of a 2 month jump start sort of thing rather than a lifestyle. He just didn't think people could eat that way for the rest of their lives. i can hardly wait to see him again and say that it works and it CAN be a way of life.

Everyone here is SO supportive and inspirational!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:44

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%
Default I used to wonder

I used to wonder why it was that when I ate breakfast, usually a sugary cereal or white toast with jam, that I was hungrier before lunch than when I went without breakfast at all. Alway pushed, pushed, pushed to eat that 'healthy' breakfast of toast, cereal, milk, and juice. Always starving, starving, starving by 10 A.M.

Now I know.

How deluded.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:44

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i wholeheartedly agre with all of you. last week i was waiting with other mothers and grannys(i,m a nana)at the school and this very, very overweight grandmother who is also diabetic was taking about how she,d been given a weightloss diet from the dietition.i sort of knew what was coming.shed been advised to have cereal for breakfast, baked pots with beans for lunch etc, all low fat.i felt so sorry for her.makes you feel like shouting out-ITS THE WRONG DIET,IT WON,T WORK but i just couldn,t say anything.some people are not ready to listen yet.i,m so glad i found the right way.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:54

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

I was hooked on Bagels for breakfast & was Starving 2 hours later & then would eat more carbs!!! Thank god for Atkins, Now I eat lC breakfast & I'm not hungry until Lunch time!

Pascale
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:59

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

You know, I believe that most people know someone personally who does Atkins. Really. I know several, and was somewhat aware of what it entailed and that it works for about 2 years before I actually investigated and chose it for myself. It took a while to find the conviction that I could do this for myself, and that I can live without potatoes, pasta, milk, or whatever.
Some people will continue the low fat lie, and it may workfor a few of them. The others will keep looking, and eventually find the truth.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/162/137 Female 5 foot 2inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Berries for breakfast...

Interesting .... he point someon made about berries for breakfast...

i have decided to up my carbs beacuse i have been very tired so i baked a batch of low carb mini muffins and added a blueberry to each mini muffins - i had 3 muffins (they were tiny (like the size of a walnut!) but i have been hungry all day today.

I am thinking that maybe it was eating the berries for breakfast is what did that.

I am back on the eggs tomorrow and I will try the muffins for snacks.

Cant agree more on the misinfomation thing - although to be fair - low calorie/low fat diets do work well for other people - just not me! I think it really depends on your metabolism.

Claire
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:19

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

We are the smartest people on the face of the earth! LOL

(but it's true!)