Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 16:14
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default Is this really a diet?

I have to post this because it just seems incredible to me that I can actually say I am "on a diet" when today I ate:
1 lb of bacon, baked in an oven.
2 1/2 lbs. chicken wings, baked in an oven with coating of Tabasco Sauce and Butter 50%-50%
1 1/2 lbs. of spareribs, slow cooked in oven coated with same butter and Tabasco mixture.
44 oz. of tea, non-caffeine, with 4 packets of Sweet 'n Low
8 glasses of ice tea, sweetened with Sweet 'n Low
10 glasses of ice cold water.
No veggies, or any of the other carb carrying critters.
-The bacon I ate in two or three passes through the kitchen while I was barbecuing for several hours doing chicken breasts for the 'fridge and freezer.
Looking at FitDay and other carb calculators, I have had precious little carb intake for the day.
Can this be real? Life is good if it is.
Of course, I really do miss my sumertime Pina Coladas and Margaritas but other than that, what a way to go.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Watch out for the bacon! Most packaged bacon in the store contains nitrates, I am not quite sure what they are But I know they are not good while on Atkins. It is alright to have bacon, just in moderation. The chicken and ribs look alright But try using Splenda instead of Sweet and Low. And you are allowed vegetables. In fact, Atkins recommends that most of your daily carb allowance come from vegetables. And BTW, wow, that's a lot of food!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 18:14
Renaissance Man

I'm a lotta persons still and as for the bacon, I really, really love the stuff. I actually cooked two lbs. but put one lb. in fridge to warm up when I next get a craving for grease.
As for the veggies, I had broccoli the past three days but I could eat tons of the stuff and they have lots of carbs compared to the meat and chicken.
I looked at Splenda at the store and it costs about 4 times what the Sweet n Low costs and since I have been losing weight slowly but steadily since starting the diet (despite Crystal Light and Aspartane) I decided to heck with it.
Since I am 62, the thought that they killed a few rats 20 years ago by overdosing them with sugar substitute doesn't bother me too much. I did check tons of available drinks in the stores yesterday and every single one that I would consider drinking....like diet pepsi, diet coke etc. all were made with Asparatane.
Appreciate your feedback. I'm just amazed that this can be called a diet.
I'm struggling with the FITDAY site but even my new favorite condiment (Hellman's and Tabasco Sauce) comes out to 29 carbs for a whole cup and I only use about 1/8 of a cup if that when I have it.
I'm just sorry I didn't try Dr. Atkins a long time ago because it seems to fit my lousy eating habits pretty well.
I've always been one to prepare the main dish and just skip cooking side dishes like potatoes, veggies, etc.

Last edited by lasert : Sat, Jul-12-03 at 18:16.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

heehee You had a full day. Keep checking the ads for a sale on laxatives-fiber-con etc. You will want some soon. Good work on the water tho.

The diet does have a natural appetite suppresent built in so go ahead til that kicks in.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:08
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Exclamation

I'd be careful of eating NO veggies... Are you taking any vitamin supplements? fiber? Your body needs vitamins, minerals and fiber to function and stay healthy.

Don't worry about the sweetener. Saccharine was taken off the "naughty" list awhile ago. You'd have to consume tons of the stuff to match the amounts they forced on the little mice!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:22
Renaissance Man

Yup, I take a one-a-day every day with the rest of my meds.
I feel great and have doubled up on my gym workout so I go now at 5 a.m. and back again after work before dinner. I walk a minimum of 2 miles each session, do my back and leg exercises and stretches, and feel very good.
I've got nothing against the veggies, except the carb count. Today was a rarity with all of the meat and chicken. Usually I have a lot of eggs and cheese. Tons of cheese. I have always loved cheese.
I make a lot of omelets, crustless quiche with just bacon, onion and cheese (no veggies).
For the first 7-8 weeks, I had mostly huge hamburgers and big salads but have gotten a bit tired of salad the past few days.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:37

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%

I'll echo others opinions on the bacon -- it's best used as a flavor enhancer and condiment. It offers a poor bang for the buck in terms of protein/oz., Also, the metabolic byproducts of the nitrites used as preservatives have been shown to cause cancer in lab studies (not sure if these were animal or human studies).

Have you done the math to determine your minimum protein requirement? There's an online calculator you can use if you've never done the calculations. I've heard that after the first few weeks, it's wise to stay within 150% of your minimum.

Since you seem to be quite active, you may want to consider adding a high-quality coconut oil to your diet. Coconut oil is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which the body uses directly for energy production, not storing as fat. (You can search these forums with the keywords "coconut oil" to learn more about this amazing food.) There are also concentrated MCT oils available, but I'm generally in favor of natural foods.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:48

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default hi...good luck

I see that you have already lost several pounds...congratulations...I am thinking as you get use to the diet, your food consumption should taper off just by the appetite suppression that comes with atkins. I had lost 40 lbs on atkins in the past 5 and a half months, but gained 5 back last week when I went on vacation....Ugh...So gotta get hold of myself...but, ..I have a friend who has lost 75 lbs in the past 4 months....keep up the good work...I am surprised that you haven't been plaqued with The C word....with that much meat and not veggies...Even with veggies, dh and I had problems...I do suggest that you start a journal that you can share your weight loss with others...It makes me "think"....and write down the emotions that comes with the journey...and it's also a good place to make new friends...

IMO you need to add a least a nice salad...up to 3 cups per day on induction...I saw that you have been on atkins since April....keep up the good work...I know several people who are my friends that has lost lots in the past 5 months...I have more to loose...and I plan on keeping on the atkins woe for the rest of my life...You will add carbs back as you journey down the path....Have a good weekend...trisha.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:52

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default cheese

I also wanted to say...Be careful on the cheese...atkins recommends no more than 4 oz of cheese a day...fyi but other than that...Keep up the good work...This works...
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Isn't low carbing wonderful? Ah, life is good.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 09:41

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)

If you are only using one-eighth of a cup of your sauce and Fitday is telling you one cup, replace the "1" with ".13" (that's point one three)and that will give you the correct amount of nutrients for the amount of sauce you are eating.

I know what it is like to get burned out on something(and there are only about five vegetables on Atkins' induction that I even like), but I have to echo what everyone else has said about the vegetables.
Remember when you count the carbs in vegetables you don't count the fiber carbs so even if ..say .. broccoli had 4 grams of carbs per cup, the fiber count is 2 grams so you would only count 2 grams of fiber per whole cup you eat.
If you are on induction(?) remember it is your net carbs that have to be twenty, not your total carbs(and fitday does not subtract them so if your carbs say 27 and your fiber says 7 then you have 20 net carbs that day).
I'm just afraid that with all the meat and cheese with no fiber you will get ..umm .. bound up.
Congratulations on your weight loss .. I do hope you feel healthier

~c
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 11:06
Renaissance Man

Default thanks for measurement tip

I'm too dense to figure that out. I simply looked at the various measurements in the drop-down menu and figured I had to work with full digit quantities times the measurements given.
It is certainly a lot easier when you use percentage points.
If you all keep helping, I may learn to do this yet.
In the meantime, despite my mistakes, I'm still shedding wweight.