Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 23:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/?/60 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:
Smile LC on 60 minutes tonite!

hey guys,

just informing you that there is a story on LC tonite on 60 min. not sure if it's favorable, the ad made it sound like it was. not a 60min fan myself but curious about the angle it will take on this.

love to hear your views after we've watched it.

cheers,
cathie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 23:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the heads up, Cathie! I'm not a 60 Minutes fan either, but anything on LC is worth a watch - particularly if it's positive,

Onya, matey.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 00:51

Plan: ketogenics
Stats: 89/84/68
BF:40% 40% 20%
Progress: 24%

I will be watching for sure. I hope it's positive. We can chat about it latter.

Nadia
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 01:20

Stats: 192/192/160 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you for reminding me! I saw a promo for the show but wasn't sure what the w/loss method was. Very timely for me, since I just decided today to start my new lc lifestyle tomorrow, and joined this wonderful forum only today.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 02:00

BF:
Progress:
Default welcome pinky

hey pinky,

hope you find the forum helpful, I certainly have. I am still trying to figure LC out, on again off again till I settle my psychological issues with food!
I definitely know that LC makes me feel better so I hope you will have luck with it.

have a good nite,
cathie
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 16:52
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%
Default 15 wasted minutes

Well I thought the story was a typical 60 minutes ‘nothing’ story and a waste of 15 minutes. Of course a diet ‘expert’ is going to present a negative view of all diets because all he sees are the negative results of dieting like anorexia, bulimia etc. Once again the Atkins diet was misrepresented, described as the diet that lets you eat ‘mounds’ of fat. And as for Susan Powter..…yuchhhh! Just one of the many people out there selling her particular product.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 17:03
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Well I thought the story was a typical 60 minutes ‘nothing’ story and a waste of 15 minutes.

Exactly - well put! Typical shallow tabloid coverage.

I mean - exactly how did Powter's miming of putting her fingers down her throat at the mention of Dr Atkins' name help?

The rep from the Atkins Centre got it right of course - saying that low carb has scientific proof, and the only criticism is opinion not fact, but she was given barely a few moments.

And what was with that "diet expert" they trotted out? Saying you can eat whatever you like, just don't overdo it!!!!! Hello! Has this man ever heard of carb addiction? Obviously not.

As soon as the programme began I began to pooh pooh it, to my SO's disgust. He kept telling me to listen to what they were saying, maybe they'd habe something interesting to say. Hmmph! At the end he apologized and agreed it was a lot of garbage.

I should have watched the BB eviction.

Roz
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 18:47
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

It was interesting to see who's running the Atkins empire now. I agree that at least in the few seconds she was given she managed to make some very good points. My favourite bit was the statement that the inventor of 'The Zone' diet made...."how do you fatten cattle? - feed them grain. How do you fatten people? - feed them grain" (or words to that effect). This is the statement that really resonated with me when I first discovered low carbing. There's really no comeback is there?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:41

Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

Sounds like I did the right thing watching the Big Brother eviction - LOL. Did have my daughter ring me up tho, all worried about the amount of "fat" I'm eating!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 00:54

BF:
Progress:

ahh 60 minutes, always the everpredictable journalistic approach.

who was that woman, every time she spoke I had to turn down the volume! and the fingers down the throat..what a mature response!

after finding this forum I do tend to want to overlook such 'news stories', (but curiosity always gets the better of me), I find that I can get all the scientific and experience facts from all the members here. it's not opinions I'm after, I need facts and tried and tested plans and then I make up my mind what to try and see how my body responds to it.

I don't need someone to tell me how to eat, I know what mistakes I make because of how my body reacts. I know I have overdone the sugars when my head is throbbing the next day or when my stomach is soo bloated because of all the water retention.

I had been a strict vegetarian till may this year, and even though I don't eat meat, I have incorporated fish and the difference in feeling bloated after a full carb meal as opposed to a protein and veg meal is amazing.

I DO prefer vegetarian alternatives, BUT, I also know that my body cannot tolerate them at times. so for now, I will decide on which plan works best for MY body. so thank you 60 minutes for shedding the light on...NOTHING!

so I guess "if I want to look like jennifer aniston and brad pitt, then I need to eat like them.."

hope you all had a bit of a laugh as well, then I turned to see gretel killeens horrible outfit once again..