Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 15:27

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Question Non-refridgerated Snacks?

I'm soon going to be away for a week on an activity holiday. I've been there before and it's great fun. And, from previous experience, I don't think I'll have any trouble sticking to low carb as a general rule: full English breakfast; choose the salad option for lunch; for dinner go with whatever meat or fish is served with loads of veg but minus the spuds and ignore the dessert. Sorted

But how do I snack in between without a fridge? That rules out cheese, hardboiled eggs, chicken portions etc. I can't take those with me and expect them to stay fresh for a week But I need my regular snacks to keep me on track I used to take chocolate and biscuits (cookies), but of course that's out of the question right now

I will take some Macadamia nuts (although they're terribly expensive here in the UK), but there's a limit to how many of those I can eat. Similarly for pork rinds (scratchings).

So, what else can I take that survives for a week without being refridgerated?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 15:35

BF:

Gosh, this is depressing

Other than macadamia nuts and pork scratchings, can't anyone please suggest a low-carb snack which you don't have to keep in the fridge?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 15:48
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Beef jerkey comes to mind. Are Atkins or other low carb bars available where you are? Some people have had stalling problems with them, but they'd be a better option than a non low-carb snack on the road. Dried coconut chips (unsweetened) would also be good -- or a package of Wasa crackers and a jar of nut butter.

Enjoy your trip.

--Ruth
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 15:49
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oh, and one other thing -- are almonds and walnuts cheaper for you than Macadamias?? Because they'd do just as well for snacks. Both have low carbs and lots of fiber.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 15:27

BF:

Thanks, Ruth! I'd completely forgotten about peanut butter, which should certainly do the trick For the other nuts suggested, I don't like either walnuts or almonds, unfortunately And the various Atkins bars, like jerky, don't seem to be available in stores in the UK, although I believe you can get them online.

Looks like macadamia nuts and peanut butter must be the answer
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 16:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

Gosh does sound quite limiting, but you might be able to find something in the recipe section that could be prepared in advance that does not need refrigeration. Also, I have not tried these, but have heard that Atkins has some type of cheese crackers and also the Atkins breakfast bars. Might be worth a try. Queen Bee
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 00:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/161/150 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

You might want to try sunflower seeds, pine nuts, soy nuts, and vacuum-packed meat sticks. Also, there are those pull-open, tray-shaped cans of sardines in oil which I find quite tasty. Kipper snacks, I think they're commonly called.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 00:15

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default non-refigerated snacks

Good ideas - actually you might not have to rule out cheese - hard cheeses in well sealed packages might be ok. Unless the weather is really abominably hot, hard cheese will be fine for a few days. It might turn sort of an orange color and develop an oily surface, but it will not be unwholesome. How about Spam? everybody in the UK likes spam, right? Here in the US we can get it in cans (tins, to you, I guess) about half the size of the regular, which is nice for packing. Back to the cheese theme for a moment, you can also get those cheese spreads in tubes or aerosol cans, which keep forever. Carry along a daikon radish, which also keeps well - slice off 1/4" rounds, and use instead of crackers. Put on the aforementioned cheese or cheese spread, or some of that canned pate if you like it, or spam, or deviled ham - don't know if you can get the old classic underwood deviled ham there. Only problem I have with some of these snacks, like the kippers and deviled ham is that they are quite salty. Is that bad? I don't really know - they used to tell us to take salt tablets to replace the stuff we sweated out in hot weather. OTH, it might make you thirsty, and hence have to drink/carry/look for, more water. LOL Bill
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:35

BF:

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated In the end, I took peanut butter, macadamia nuts, and a couple of tins of sardines.

On the whole I coped fairly well, although I gave in to the odd bit of temptation (dauphin potatoes once, a piece of chocolate twice ) But I got away with only putting back on one pound, and had a fantastic time, so all's well that ends well
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 21:01

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%
Default Maybe we should all share our "take along" ideas

I keep nuts at my desk.
I also have tins of sardines and a new item - small tins of tuna that have seasonings in them (peppers, lemon, dill - there's a variety - but watch out, because some of them actually have carbs you have to count).

I heard peanut butter and celery is good, but I've never tried that.

I like my tupperware (or plastic ware) containers for olives, salami, pepperoni, cheeses - things that will keep until snack time, but would not do well overnight.

I have a package of rice crackers, which have only a few carbs, so I keep them for a special treat, rather than every day.

Thankfully, I have access to a fridge, but I don't use it that much, because I've had things taken out of it.

I can get individual packages of cheese, or even cheese strings/sticks.

Dill pickles are also a great crunchy munchie.