Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:06

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Help!! Totally confused about calories...

Hey all!

I'm hoping that you can help me with my dilemma. Now, before I explain, I'm not complaining about anything, I just need some insight as to whether I'm doing something wrong or not.

Ok, I've been fighting w/the same 4 lbs. for over 2 mos. I've lost inches (11.5 in the last 2 mos.), so I know I'm not stalled, but I'm trying to figure out why I can't keep these 4 lbs. off (and lose more for that matter). I'm eating around 1900-2000 calories a day w/an average of 74% fat, 4% carbs & 22% protein. I drink around 130-140 oz. of water per day. I walk 5-8 miles a week and do Curves and/or Body Flex 3-5x per week. (I have my menus posted in my journal if you think this may be a food related stall.)

Here's where I'm confused. I've seen a billion times that a good guesstimate on caloric consumption is 10-12x your body weight. Then I read more about basal metabolic rates and active metabolic rates and how they factor in. The info below is what I got from a site that I visited (weight includes stupid 4 lbs. that I can't shake):

Input Weight is: 254 in U.S. Pounds
Input Height is: 66 in U.S. Inches
Input Age is : 29
Input Gender is: female

The Metabolism Results Are:
1867.7 calories per day is your Basal Caloric Rate.

2428.0 calories per day recommended for your Active Caloric Rate.

No less then 1367.7 calories per day recommended for safe consistent Weight Loss. At this safe consistent Weight Loss Caloric Rate, you will lose 1 pound every 7 Days.

After seeing that, I'm completely and totally confused. Am I eating too much? Too little? Just right? I have been trying not to worry about it, but it's creeping up on 3 mos. w/no loss and I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong.

Any thoughts, comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've done fairly well w/this so far and I don't want to screw up now.

Thanks and happy LCing!
Nikki

Last edited by Tiggerdy : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 11:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 15:34
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Nikki,

I want to post something helpful in reply to your question, but I have no answer. However, I can certainly empathize with your problem. I just went through a five or six week period of doing exactly what I had been doing for almost a year and losing nothing (before that I was steadily losing 5 to 8 pounds a month). I have started losing again, but more slowly than I was losing before. I think that sometimes, after we lose a lot of weight (and you and I have both lost a lot of weight), our bodies just need to adjust for a little while before they can start dropping weight again. I am hoping that my body is going through a period of adjustment and my weight loss will speed up again sometime in the future. In the meantime, I'm trying to just focus on how far I have come and how much healthier I am than I was a year ago.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 15:52

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

That's kind of interesting.. if you look at % toward goal, both of you are almost the same spot!

I'm still not sure about this calorie thingy either you know. Think I've read too many opinions on it. I do think that is I slip below basic metabolic requirement, I tend to stall.

Last edited by Iwilldoit : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 15:55.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 18:19

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Nikki,
I don't have a cast in stone answer either, but I have to say...remember when I increased my calories...and then gained weight...so I decreased them again, and i usually am losing...slowly but at least losing.
Do you think it would hurt to just reduce things for a week or two, and see what happens...or go back down to induction for two weeks, maybe it needs a kickstart.
Just a thought..
Hugs
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 10:49

BF:

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your input! It really means a lot to me! I'm still at a loss as to what I should do, but I think I may work on reducing calories for a little bit. Nothing drastic, just maybe dropping down to 1500 or so to see if that gets things moving again. I also may try my luck on posting this in the Atkins forum.

Thanks again and happy LCing!
Nikki
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:33

Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

I hate to say it, but I think it's one of those ymmv things. I have friends that can eat 2500 - 3000 calories a day and steadily lose around 2 - 4 lbs a week. But sadly I cannot. I'm currently experimenting with eating 1600 - 1800 cals a day. Since 1800 - 2000 kept me at a long stall. Maybe we can try it together. I've posted my menus and the calories, fat, etc in my journal.

Hugs,
Carla
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:39

BF:

Thanks, Carla!

I ate around 1700 cals last night w/about 70% fat and today should be around 1600 cals w/around 70% fat. I hope that something gives soon. Losing inches is nice, but I could really use some losses on the scale about now.

Together we *can* do this!!
Nikki