Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254/216/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default fat, calorie, protein intake?

i've heard most people say to get 70% fat. i can't seem to do that without going really high in calories (near the 3000 mark). and i'm wondering if i'm eating too much protein. it's usually around 40 %. any ideas on how i can increase fat and decrease protein? i pretty much eat the same thing, as my fitday journal shows. is there such a thing as too many calories? any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 12:36
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I've heard some say here to eat more mayonnaise, butter, etc., to up your fat intake. Hope you can get some more suggestions.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:38

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I use nuts, salad dressing, mayo oil and butter to boost that. I try to stay about 12-1500 cal / day (not counting exercise) (some days I'm working to get that many cal in -- yesterday at 5 pm I'd only had about 600 cal)!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:48

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Most of my fat comes from the salad dressing, olive oil (cooking), nuts, seeds, avocado, cream, butter ... I usually range around 65%-70% daily which brings me the best results. I keep protein around 100 grams a day and carbs at 20-25 grams per day
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 14:11
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I looked at your fitday. You are eating all low fat meats. Eat more beef, pork, bacon, sausage. Your protein is too high. It should be at 25 to 30%.

I eat about 1600 calories and have no problem getting 70% fat because I eat a lot of beef and pork.

Cream cheese also ups the fat plus the things already mentioned. Having a Mock Danish for breakfast instead of tuna or salmon will cut the protein and add fat.

Last edited by SDgrandma : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 14:13.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 15:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254/216/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

thanks for all the suggestions....

i'm a difficult case, because i'm such a picky eater. i don't think i can do the mock danish idea everyday. i need something portable and discreet, as i eat at work, a few hours after i wake up. plus, having something sweet everyday seems to defeat the purpose of trying to curb sweet cravings. with the tuna i can throw it in tupperware the night before and not worry about it. i was thinking of trying meatballs for breakfast next...
as for bacon and sausage...i really can't stomach them. plus, i am on induction, so i shouldn't be eating processed foods anyway. and they've never agreed with my stomach. every single time i eat bacon and sometimes sausage i get gas, bloating, and heartburn. i've never liked bacon. or eggs. or most sausage. *l*

i do cook everything with olive oil or sometimes butter. and i do actually eat pork. just not everyday. mostly because i can't figure out how to cook pork so that it isn't dry and tasteless.

thanks though. i'll try and modify things so that i get my fat/protein ratio better.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 17:15

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

as mentioned above, add guacamole/avocado and I forgot, I also add 4-5 olives to a salad.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 17:59

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I would agree that your protein is way too high, also your calories are a bit high also. Dr. Atkins says that there is no need to count calories, but that calories do count, so keep that in mind. I would suggest to try and lower yoru calories down to at least 2000 a day and keep your protein under 100 grams a day, too much protein can be stored as fat.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 22:15
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

One time I made a list of foods with high fat/protein ratio. Here are the ones which came to the top of the list:

Heavy milk cream >100
Macademia nuts 11
Pecan nuts 7.3
Cream cheese,whipped 6
Other nuts 2:5
Atkins Ice cream 3.6
Blue cheese 1.6
Boiled eggs 1
Corned beef (canned) 0.5

I hope this can help you.