Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Cramping midcycle??

I know people have referenced having their TOM be affected being on Atkins. I started it during my TOM 2 weeks ago. But now, I am midcycle and I am having really bad cramping like TOM cramps. Is this just because my body is getting used to my new WOE??

Has anyone else experienced this? If yes, do things with the whole TOM cycle even out eventually?

Any replies would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Good low-carb thoughts to all!

Tracy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 12:29

Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%

i have a lot more cramping here lately. i do not know if it is the wol or just getting older.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 04:54

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Ovulation!

I get ovulation cramps, and a little spotting, mid-cycle. Never noticed them years ago but they're loud and clear now. Could be that you're just getting more bodily-aware as the carbs clear out?

Mine aren't near as bad as TOM cramps, but they do get my attention, and they do respond to ibuprophen.

Or Sex. Generally a little more (than normal!!) interested at mid-cycle! But be careful--it IS Mother Nature's way of doing her best to get you pregnant at the best possible time!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 07:19

Stats: 213/163.5/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 60%

Just having my first TOM since starting induction. Everything seems to be normal with the exception that the cramps are less!! I usually get them pretty bad, too. Now if I could just get rid of the feeling sick a few days before-hand!

I guess everyone has different experiences.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 20:45

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Tracy,
Last couple months I have had the identical thing as you. I can't explain it, but the cramps were BAD. Then went away after a few hours.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 17:18
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Thanks for your input

Thank you to all of you for your input. It's good to know I'm not alone in this.

I am going to do a little additional research on the subject. I am interested in finding out if the bad cramping is common and if yes, is there something to do or take. I'm also curious as to possible explanations.

Still crampy AND feeling PMSsy emotionally- kinda teary, crabby etc... I had just stopped being irritible from the carb withdrawal- and now I feel like a psycho when my moods have been good for a while.

Ah...well...the good outways the bad.

I will keep you all posted if I learn anything on the subject.

Good low-carb thoughts to all!!

Tracy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 10:29

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am having spotting midcycle and I never had that before. I think my body is just adjusting to the weight loss and hopefully things will get back to normal soon.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 07:45
Registered Member

BF:
Exclamation Did some research

Okay... I found out that this is totally normal. There are some threads on the subject- if you do a search on bleeding mid-cycle you will find some older threads that show that many women have experienced this while low-carbing. What happens is this: estrogen is stored in our fat. When we start BURNING the fat- the estrogen is released into our systems and can cause irregular menstrual cycles. For women not on the pill (like me- I have an IUD) this can cause either midcycle bleeding or an entire skipped period. A lot of women on the pill experienced midcycle bleeding as well. So, the cramps, PMSsy feelings etc. are all due to the excess of estrogen that our fat was holding onto for us. It should even itself out in a couple of months.

I feel better knowing this- so I wanted to let you all know too.

Good low-carb thoughts to all!!

Tracy
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 02:27
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 110/102/98 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 67%

What a relief! thanks for posting your findings. i knew that others were getting their periods early even while being on the pill (Like me). But I couldn't find a straight answer to why less carbs would do this to my hormones. I was getting scared and so i ate a big bowl of rice and sourdough bread the other week! He he he... I guess it's back to low carbing!~
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:59

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Tracy,
Thank you for finding that out for us! Whew I am glad it is normal because I am losing weight right now. Guess it takes a while to get our bodies repaired and in the best shape.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

You might try searching the posts on using progesterone cream. Many women seem to have found relief. It helps re-balance hormones thrown out of whack.
Hope this helps, cramps are a bitch.