Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 05:50
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%
Angry stubby hubby

before I started atkins I was on weight watchers playing yo-yo. I struggled to get my tubby hubby onto the diet, he started well losing nearly a stone in 2 weeks but he just keeps going up and down on this diet. He is an addict to chocolate and even more chocolate. He has the biggest sweet tooth ever!! I want him to start the Atkins as I think it would help both of us, instead of me having to cook different meals and seeing carbs in the house (which I havent missed yet!) which may lead to temptation. I have tried perswading him, reading quotes from the atkins book trying to convince him carbs are bad but he is so stubborn
please help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 05:56

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Show, don't tell

1. Why are you cooking two meals? Plenty of LC food that looks just like everything else. Might be he's someone who doesn't need to do formal Atkins but simply eating fewer carbs will help.

2. Unfortunately, yo-yoing while trying to persuade him to follow you on WW isn't the best advertising. Might be that he's just going to have to see your success first, and then want to follow.

3. What else have you been able to persuade him to do by talking about it? I know I've never had much success in changing men.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 06:07
Yo-Yo

thanks for that last message I cook 2 meals cause he loves pasta not only is he a chocolate lover he loves pasta. He is normally quite easy to twist round my my wee finger! but when it comes to his weight he is in denial, it took ages to get him to ww. so I suppose if I persavere I will get there in the end, even more so if he see the weight drop of me!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 06:37

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i think once he sees your sucess on this diet and all the good food you can eat he,ll be begging to join you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Stubby Hubby

Do not try to change him. Attempting to change your spouse is a recipe for marriage disaster.

Nagging him will only make him dislike you.

It's his body, his health, his decision. He is an adult. Leave him alone.

I say this because my husband is constantly trying to control me in all sorts of ways, large and small, and it makes me want to smother him in his sleep. Seriously. He has no idea how close I've come, many times. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, so angry at his efforts to "improve" me according to his notions of what I should be doing that it's all I can do not to start pummeling him.

The best way to get your husband to change is to leave him alone and set a good example. Follow your LC plan, have great success, keep your lips zipped about it, and let him see for himself what a great idea it is. (After all, if it's HIS decision to do it, he's much much more likely to follow through.)

But you have to accept the fact that he may NEVER EVER change to your eating plan. He may continue to stuff his face with pasta & chocolate for the rest of his life. He may just get fatter and fatter.

And it is absolutely his right to do so.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 11:13
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile changing ..

Sorry to hear the old boy's a glutton for sweets. Refined sugars and starches are the top of the "no no" list on Atkins. Once you understand why this is, it's not hard to let that stuff go. Some people use food as a crutch. They get depressed or something and use food as an excuse for comfort. Some don't even realize what they're doing until it's too late. This probably comes somewhere under the term "personality disorder".

Don't worry just yet. There's still hope on the horizon. I honestly believe that FAT couples get along so well because they have that in common. They don't feel too bad about their weight because their spouse is big too. They get comfortable with the idea and that's that.

Let's consider what may happen down the road. You set your goals. You lose the weight. You shape and tone and firm up to the 18yr old you once were. You have energy out the roof. Your clothing fits wonderfully tight. You're finding ways to exercise you never imagined before. All this time, your hubby is watching you. He can't tell you your eating habits are wrong because its working. All he can do is witness your progress.

I believe if he loves you as a husband should, he'll want to enjoy life as you do. Together and happy. He won't be able to do the things you do if he's tubby and you're not. He'll have to get on the bandwagon and join you, because you're NOT going back to where you started. He'll have get off his rear and work for it like you did.

No, don't say "I told ya so". That will only cause grief. You want to encourage him and help him get to your side of the fence. I think there's light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes people just need to see the train to get moving!

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 12:08
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

And if he wants his pasta and sweets - he can surely fix them himself. I don't say that out of meanness, simply that, as a grown man, I'm sure he can figure out the directions to a box of macaroni and cheese. There is also the fact that he can have those goodies when you dine out, if he so chooses.

Do this for you - I'm sure he'll catch on eventually. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 13:56
Yo-Yo

thank you for all your responces and yes you are all correct I know how desperate he is too loose weight so when he see my success he will want a piece of it too!!