Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 02:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/221/210 Male 74"
BF:33/28/25
Progress: 82%
Default Loss of apetite

Pre diet food was always the first thing on my mind - now a few months on and I can normally go virtually hours without eating.
Can quite easily go without breakfast and lunch and eat at dinner time - However someone at work reckons this isn't any good for you. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 05:19

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Woking

I'm glad to see that this way of life has supressed your appetite. Isn't that a great feeling.

Now going without meals is not a good thing though. You need to keep your metabolism reved up and that needs food and exercise to do that. So whether you feel like eating or not you should have a good breakfast, with lots of protein to start the day, a healthy lunch and then less to eat in the evening. That way your metabolism is satisfied and at the end of the day you are not eating a lot and doing nothing afterwards.

So you do need to eat to lose weight and this should be spread out across the day with more throug the first half of the day than the second half.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 05:26
Registered Member

cheers - will take note.

However I'm running about 3 miles every other night which also helps to the loss of apetite- your'e right though,, what a wonderful feeling !!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 00:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 161/151/126
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Woking
I've found recently that I don't really feel like eating even tho' I know I am hungry, sometimes to the point of feeling a bit nauseous. I'm having to push myself to eat whilst not really fancying anything. I don't know if this is usually something that happens when LCing, but it doesn't feel particularly good.
Tree.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 01:39
Registered Member

Default This Week

I've only eaten at lunchtimes - however I dont seem to have lost any weight
Do you think the weight will start going off again if I eat three times a day?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 01:40

Hi Tree

If you are feeling nauseous, sounds as if you are leaving it too long before you eat. You should eat something, even if only as snack at least every 3 to 4 hours. If you don't want much try 30 g of nuts - Brazil, almonds, macademia. They have a high fat content and will be satisfying. I can't say I've ever had your experience. Take care.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 01:44

Hi Woking

I see you were posting as I did the above reply. I think you will definely lose weight if you eat 3 times a day. I doubt if you are getting enough calories in your one meal at lunch time. If you don't eat enough then you will not lose weight as your body adapts and holds on to all it can. I used to have this experience with low calorie diets and now know better. Try it for a week and see what happens. You are doing a lot of running and that takes energy. It is a good idea to make your lunch time meal the largest meal of the day.

Let me know how you get on.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 03:38
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

I too have lost my appetite and I am forcing myself to eat cause i dont want my body to go into starvation mode. Its weird for the first time in my life I cant be bothered with food!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 10:28

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I'm struggling to eat at the moment too, I seem to go for days or weeks where I only want to eat one meal a day. I had a 3 week 'mini-stall' eating like this, for the last week I've upped to 3 meals a day with occasional snacks and this week had a loss
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:41
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

have you got your appetite back yet?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 16:03

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'm another who's run into the "I'm just not hungry" issue But I'm trying to ensure that I push myself to eat around 1400 calories and 20-30g carb, even if I just don't feel like it
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 01:49

Isn't it nice not to feel hungry! I'm so glad that you are all trying to make sure that you eat regularly. Your body does need food and if it does not get at least the minimum calorie level it needs then you will not lose weight as your metabolism slows and your body goes into starvation mode.

When I was younger I did this to my body a lot with low calorie diets and now I'm finding so much harder to lose weight as my metabolism has permanently slowed.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 03:41

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)

Dr. Atkins (in DANDR) says that the program does not properly work unless you eat every 5-6 hours. Pre-Atkins, I ate one meal/day...supper...usually 2 hours or so before going to bed.

Bad idea. I'm currently eating 3x/day, consuming more calories than I was before, but only 1/15th as many carbs. And I'm losing weight at a decent clip.

I agree it doesn't seem to make sense to eat when you aren't hungry...but it has been working for me!