Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/144/125
BF:
Progress: 24%
Angry Health Food Addict Hassling Me - Help!

mon rant du jour:

So my friend (the perfect weighted health food nut - never had to worry about FAT a day in his life) tells me...

blue cheese dressing and pork rinds are the worst two things to put in your body, ESPECIALLY together! I don't think so, does any one else?

I was following the rules and I thought I was having a perfectly atkins acceptable snack. Of course I don't expect him to understand, he doesn't know about atkins.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 12:50

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I'd say a pixie stick or Nerds candy qualify as worse.

Your snack is perfectly Atkins legal. Don't sweat it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:01

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Wink At least it's not your husband!

My husband also "just cuts back" and "has no problem losing". Well, duh, I know that. But that doesn't help ME! I now just tell him I'm glad it works for him, but it doesn't work for me. You could try educating him. I printed out a bunch of newspaper articles. Just go to google.com, put in Atkins and then select the news tab. He does still ask how I am. Is the "breath" thing addressed in the book? He was concerned that something was going really wrong. I told him I'm probably not drinking quite enough water as the ketones are dispersed through your breath and urine. (Then he asks if THAT smells "funny", hysterical). Good luck and hang in there.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:26
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Okay, since we're going on our "rant du jour's" I'll throw mine into the pile.

I have a co-worker who lost a lot of weight (>20 pounds) on Atkins last winter (new year's resolution). I've noticed that she has gained a lot of the weight back, but of course I didn't say anything.

Today at lunchtime a bunch of us chicks were sitting around talking and someone noticed that I had a wonderful salad (iceburg lettuce loaded with broccoli coleslaw, sliced eggs, and pieces of steak leftover from last night) but said that it "looked fattening." So I told this person that I was on Atkins. So the "gaining weight" co-worker overheard and started to rant about how Atkins doesn't work, and that "the minute you go off of it, you just gain all the weight back," blah, blah.

So I gave her a long stare and said, "Yes, I've noticed what happens when you go off of it, and that's why I never intend to. I'm eating this way for life."

"Gaining weight" lady then goes on another tear saying that she could never stay on a diet that didn't allow her to drink beer on weekends. Yeah, and it SHOWS, honey!!

Jeannie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Jeannie LOL LOL.. You Go Girl
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 14:08

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Blue cheese dressing? What the heck is wrong with that? The only thing possibly bad about the two together is the high sodium content in both. I have to be careful with Pork rinds for that reason!

My fave "naughty" high sodium snack is dill pickles and chedder! MMMMM! Nibble of pickle, nibble of chedder, Nibble of pickle, nibble of chedder...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 14:53

BF:

Glad you guys are there... I wanted some good stuff to throw right back at 'im. I know I'm not gonna care when I am wearing all those darn jeans I used to wear...

JeannieM - love that post - and love that doggie!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 15:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If he starts to give you heck again, ask if he's read the book. Then explain to him that on Atkins you are to eat 3 cups of veggies a day and have plenty of healthy fats. Explain to him too that part of the lifestyle is avoiding nitrates, over processed foods, and eating plenty of natural protien sources along with fiber sources. If he's eating something like a rice cake ask him how his cardboard tastes and if he really thinks something totaly man made like that is anywhere near as healthy as food from plants and animals

The only problem with pork rinds is the sodium content, but as long as you drink plenty of water and don't eat a ton it should be fine. Blue cheese is ok unless it has added sugar, or if you have problems with dairy or candida. You had a perfectly fine snack, just ignore him and munch happily.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Tell your friend that if he wants to be a true friend he will listen, read about and surrport your decision to this way of eating even if he does not agree. After all thats what friends really do.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 17:37
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by allkatz
Glad you guys are there... I wanted some good stuff to throw right back at 'im. I know I'm not gonna care when I am wearing all those darn jeans I used to wear...

JeannieM - love that post - and love that doggie!

That doggie is my little Raven -- a 4-month old black german shepherd and just the most sweet-natured and loving puppy I've ever seen. The photo captures well the "look" he gives me when I have a doggie treat in my hand.

Yep, I'm besotted with my dogs...

Jeannie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:06

BF:

O I told him - he still was no support - so now I listen to him rant and laugh at him. ha ha He spends his $$ on brain garden food, aka pulse. One of his "foods" has 70 g of carbs per 4 oz - OMG.

JeannieM - I have 2 dogs of my own but am partial to my 9 cats! Just an animal lover!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:41

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Why respond with anything?
I think trying to "educate" him is a waste of time. How can you convince him in 10 minutes that your WOE is better than his WOE which he has probably been following for quite some time? Don't waste your breath.
When he makes a comment, maybe you could say something like,"Thanks for sharing." That way you don't agree or disagree.
And if you want him to leave you alone about your diet, don't bring it up around him...you don't need his approval (you have mine!!--tee! hee!)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 20:09

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/115/105 Female 60 inches
BF:40%/25%/18%
Progress: 78%

There is no one diet that is healthy for everybody. He has to know that, and you have to know that. He shouldn't put down your food, and you shouldn't put down his food, either. Obviously, your friend isn't in need of a WOE like this to keep him trim and fit. You and I do. I agree that you should just shrug off his comments with "thank you for sharing," or just "thanks."
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 220/220/150 Female 5 ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

just feel sorry for uneducated people they don't know what they are talking about, I went over to my boyfriends grandparents to eat dinner and every thing they had was high in carbs so the only thing i ate was some meat and my boyfriends grandpa was like this diet can't be good for you if you can't eat potatos and corn you have to eat your vegetables, I was like I'll be fine thanks.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 20:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
if you can't eat potatos and corn you have to eat your vegetables, I was like I'll be fine thanks.

If potatoes and corn were the only veggitables in the world, then maybe. Tell him you eat a ton of veggies on this WOE. In fact you are suposed to eat 3 cups a day. Does he eat that many?

I don't really count potatoes as a veggie anymore. They are so high starch with so little nutrician, esp if you remove the skin :\