Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 10:18

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

My husband does this! I desperately wanted him to do ANA with me so we could have built in support, but he declined. However, now he wants all of my grilled burgers and chops, my salad greens, and well, just about everything that is for me.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 10:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but I don't really understand why this is a bad thing? You should want your families to be healthy too, so I don't see what is wrong with them eating your food. Why don't you just ask them what they would prefer to eat? If they want chicken wings instead of pizza, order wings for them too. I think its amazing that everyone on this site complains about how unhealthy sugar and refined carbs are, but get upset when their families make healthy choices! I for one would be thrilled if my DH choose to eat one of my SF jellos or made a salad for his lunch, or wanted eggs rather than a poptart for breakfast! Its nice to have enough stuff in the house, but I would prefer to go to the grocery store an extra time and have my kids eating better. just me though.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 10:55
Registered Member

Stats: 192/167.2/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's not that we don't want them to be healthy.

It's the fact that they eat ALL of our stuff up (without telling us most times!) Wouldn't you be irritated if you cooked 20 chicken legs for the next day and ALL of them disappeared before you even had a chance?

It's the inconsideration that gets us, not the fact that they enjoy our food too.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 13:24

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I wouldn't have a problem with it if everybody chose to eat ONE way or another. But the problem becomes when they're eating carbs one moment and then eating high fat/low carb things the next. That is not at ALL healthy. In fact, they'll be gaining weight faster than ever if they go both ways.

There are many things on this WOE that I make that are FILLED with fat and cholesterol that I just plain DON'T want my kids eating along with their regular diet.

Unless it's necessary to do so, then I don't think it's fair to tell a child that he may NEVER eat cookies or have a juice box again because they must follow my way of eating. Not only not fair, but darn near impossible.

I don't feel that it's right to put a child who doesn't have a weight problem on a strict regimen. And with this WOE, that's what it has to be. It's an all or nothing proposition. What I DO believe in is regular meals at planned times that are complete in nutrition. This is what teaches a child good eating habits. If you give a child a snack that is sugar free, you're still giving them a snack. They don't care if it's sugar free or not. What they have to be taught is that there are certain times to eat and that they must eat meals, not junk.

Sorry. I just read back over this and it sounds like I'm all worked up. LOL. I'm not, this is just how I feel about it. I think it just boils down to my view on putting children on diets when they're young when there is no problem to begin with. I think it teaches a bad self image. And I don't EVER want my kids to feel like they need to change anything about themselves.

~Angi~
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 13:30

Stats: 150/144/125
BF:
Progress: 24%

You know I wish my husband would eat low carb instead of all the high carb trash he IS eating. I wanted him to do this with me so he could lose weight too. Nope - not this time.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
. I still don't even entirely trust that Splenda is safe yet. It's only considered safe now because it hasn't proven to be unsafe yet. It's a fairly new product.

From DANDR page 128 Acceptable foods list

Quote:
Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after viewing more then one hundred studies conducted over the past twenty years

To me 20 years makes for a product that isn't to recent. Refined sugar on the other hand has been proven to be harmful and has no nutricional value. I prefer my kids to get thier sweet tooth satisfied from fruits, but I don't want to make any foods forbiden and more tempting. I'd rather teach them that there are foods to eat often, and foods to save as special treats. Most of the kids I know who have grown up in strict homes on certain foods tend to over endulge in them once they get money of thier own, or move out. I'd rather my kids know that they can have occasional snacks so there is no need to over endulge when some become available. I grew up in a somewhat poor family. Any sweet treats such as pies were rare. If you didn't eat alot of it right away, the rest of the family would polish it off and you wouldn't get any. I learned to eat alot of it fast, because there wasn't going to be any more.

I don't put my kids on any kind of diet, or strict regiment. They have fruit readily available, juice, milk, whole grains, and other healthy foods. I don't see it as wrong to limit thier exposure to refined sugars and flours now before they have problems with carbohydrates and insulin when they are older. Waiting to teach children healthy eating habits until they are over weight does no good and makes for a depressing childhood.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:09

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I guess I failed to mention that in my case it's not kids but my parents. I am staying with them till the end of August. They refuse to do the diet, but love to eat my foods along with theirs, and that ends up being high fat with high carbs. That's a bad bad thing. If they wanted to make the effort and do low carb I would gladly share. They have a house full of choices of foods to eat I fix a meal to last a while and it's gone right away then I'm left with little or no choices, while all their non diet food is still there for them.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 11:16
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default It just worried me...

that my boyfriend eats the high protein, high fat way that I eat for the meals that we are together (dinner every night)- but lots of carbs the rest of the time. It seems like a dangerous combination. But, I'm glad that he enjoys giving up the starchy side dishes we used to eat everynight.

Also, I think I need to start making bigger dinners! I cooked beef stirfry the other night that I had intended to have leftovers to take to work with me the next day. He even ate RICE with it but still it was gone - no leftovers for me.

Good low carbing thoughts to all!!

Tracy

PS- Today is the 15th day on induction! Yay!! I havenot weighed myself yet. I don't own a scale so I think I am going to go to a store or someplace that has a scale in the next couple of days to see my new number. I am not too worried about the number- i KNOW I'm losing inches and I feel a million times better!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 11:53

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

Reading this post was inspiring - in my house, I am in charge of the groceries, the cooking, and who gets what ! Without even knowing it - My husband is low carbing, and my babies 2 & 4 are low carbing. I don't give them any artifical sweeteners - shakes, bars, etc... Just whole foods (meats, veggies, fruit WW bread etc..). If children want a treat - Daddy takes them to the store because I don't keep sugar treats in the house.......for dinners I offer brown rice side dishes and WW pastas, my children LOVE peas and carrots so we stock up. I love it that my older daughter loves sunflower seeds, string cheese, and natural PB on whole wheat bread for lunch - and my youngest, anytime I have chicken will crawl up in my lap to share. I feel so good that they are enjoying this lifestyle too!

LoveableLC
That said - I feel for you.....It would totally annoy the daylights out of me if I had to live in a home that did not understand my dietary needs. Maybe your parents don't even realize that they are annoying you. I would either tell them how you feel, (gently) or I would package your food in Ziploc bags or containers and label them with your name & date and tell them your doing that to keep your daily meals in order.... best luck to you.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:22

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Well my mother understands so she tells me to put my non refrigerated foods in my closet lol.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:07

Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I can't make any meat ahead and have it in the fridge. The DH and the lodger will eat them for a snack before dinner!!!! I bought soda water. Now they want to add it to their juice. Strategy for my daughter...............see how little juice to soda she can get away with and still be happy with the taste. I'm tricky!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:53

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/224/135 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I would like to have the recipe for the Meatza , If you would give it to me please
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 17:03

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Funny how the nicest people turn to monsters when dieting! I do the same thing! I get crazy when anyone so much as looks at my stuff, and if they EAT IT...

Amy
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 17:16
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Oh I hear ya! My peanut butter is usually gone by the next day of purchase. My low carb bars, are eaten by my roommate who isn't really following a low carb because they are sweet (grrrr!) I can't keep any sugar free ice pops, kids go right through them. Cheese? Forget it. cold cuts? Same thing.
The problem is that I prepare all my food ahead for the week which of course is fast food for the rest of the house. No matter how I complain it still happens. I'm going to buy a small fridge and pad lock it!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 20:00

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

the recipe for the meatza should be under drwolfe I think. You can search it too! Its gggreat!