Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 12:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/206/125 Female 5'2"
BF:41
Progress: 13%
Unhappy Overwhelmed and FED UP!

First let me introduce myself. I am Cassandra. I'm 21 years old and have been living with my boyfriend in California for over two years. I moved to California to be with him, and when I did my entire lifestyle changed. I have no friends and no family here. Just him.

When I first got here I was 10 lbs overweight. I was 5'2" and weighed about 136 or so. Now two years later I'm 5'2" and 218 lbs. I'm depressed. I refuse to shop for clothes, and everytime I look in my closet and see the clothes I USED to wear.. I start to cry. My lifestyle changed when I moved in with him. I went from going out and dancing every single night of the week, taking long walks and exercising with my mother, to sitting at home all day long not doing a thing. I didn't have a car and I didn't go out because the area was completely unfamiliar to me.

Now, I have car, and I have a job. I also have almost 100 extra lbs on my body. I am experiencing back and knee pains. My self esteem is at its lowest point ever in my ENTIRE life. I can't run or dance like I used to and I won't even try. I am SO ashamed of what I let happen to myself.

My boyfriend and I got memberships at 24 hour fitness together. I even got a personal trainer. I mentioned the Atkins diet to him, and he said it was unhealthy and I should just lose weight the 'right' way. I tried working with him, and working out 6 days a week. It didn't work for me. I was ashamed to go up there and work in front of people. I didn't like the way I looked and I didn't want people to see 'the fat girl' trying and struggling to lose weight. I tried that whole thing for 2 weeks and lost 1 lb. I gave up, even though I still have a membership.

Craig wants me to lose weight. He has told me that he isn't happy with my appearance and has been on me about exercising. Because of what my trainer said, he doesn't think the Atkins diet is healthy and won't be supportive of me attempting. It upsets me, but it won't stop me.

I am FED UP with not liking myself. I am TIRED of looking at my body and wanting to cry and thinking "this is so gross". The only way I can lose weight is to see results. If it doesn't happen quick I will get discouraged.

I need some form of encouragement, and I know he won't give it to me. I am tired of the tears and of being ashamed. I want to start this today. No, I AM starting this today.

I will be keeping a journal, and exercising while making this life style change. As incentive to keep myself going - for every 15 lbs I lose I am going to by myself a new outfit. I will be taking before and after pictures as well.

Now, here is my problem. I am ADDICTED to pasta. I'm not a big meat eater and love to eat pasta and loads of veggies. I also dislike cooking, and do it as little as possible.

Any suggestions you have to remedy that I'll gladly listen to, and THANK you for listening to me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 13:47

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi Cassandra!!

My husband and I were in a similar situation somewhat to you, but reversed. Instead of me moving, he moved thousands of miles to be with me in Illinois (he is from the Netherlands). And his lifestyle also changed, he had no friends or family here either, just me. Took him over 1 1/2 years to get a job too because of hte economy.

He also got depressed a lot so I can understand where you are coming from! Maybe one thing you could tell your boyfriend is that you moved here to be with him even though your future in CA was uncertain. So he could try to be supportive of you even though he is uncertain that atkins should be the answer. You have given up a lot to be with him so maybe he could let go of his doubts for a while just to see how it goes!

I am also a HUGE pasta lover. I would eat pasta several times a week before starting this plan. And let me tell you, I don't miss it and you won't either! I thought 'how am I going to do this without pasta'. But really you will not miss it after a while!

Recently I did try something similar to pasta that was surprising ly good! I cut some firm tofu (very low in carbs!) up into small pieces. Then mixed some cheese sauce and cheese with it and microwaved it and it actually was reminiscent of mac and cheese!!! I know it sounds gross (I thought it would be!) but if you are craving pasta the first while that's something you could try!

Good luck to you!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 09:45

Stats: 204/186/128 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Cassandra,

Nice to "meet" you. I am new to Atkins too, just doing it a bit over 2 weeks. My height and weight are similar to yours and our goal weight is very close. I feel embarrassed about my weight too. I was very discouraged the other day because the scale wasn't moving as fast as I thought I should. I made my first posting to the group and the replies really helped me get through a tough day and made me see I was trying to rush things. I didn't get this heavy overnight and I'm not going to lose it overnight, gotta accept that. (BTW, the scale did move today and I lost an additional 2 lbs.)

My husband and I are doing this together, which certainly helps. I wish your boyfriend was more supportive, perhaps he needs to be educated on Atkins. My sister tried to talk me out of Atkins, but she is learning more about it and is more supportive. There are very good articles on this site explaining why the Atkins way of eating works and why it is healthy. Perhaps you could encourage your bf to read some of them, since he had only heard your PT's side of the story. Remind him that Dr. Atkins was a doctor which carries a lot more credence than a personal trainer, and that medical associations are now supporting the Atkins way of life.

I love Italian food too, and just remember when we get this past this induction stage we will be able to eat low carb pasta occasionally. I have a feeling you won't even want it, though. I used to crave pasta, crackers, cookies, and chocolate, but I can say my cravings have stopped. And when I don't feel like cooking (which is often!) those big grilled chicken cobb salads from McDonalds sure are a satisfying meal. (Cobb dressing has the highest carbs, so get Ranch or Caesar).

In closing, I can somewhat relate to you about being in a strange town. My husband's current job is 150 miles away from our home. We are stay in this new town during the week and go home on weekends. I don't know anyone in this town but him!

Lets both hang in there! We can do it!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 10:30

Thank you both for replying. I told Craig about the diet yesterday. I started it off with "Honey, I'm gonna tell you this and I really won't be able to handle your critism, so please just listen and support me." Then I said "I'm starting the Atkins diet".

His reply was... "Why?" To lose weight? After explaining, talking to him, and showing him that I mean business he agreed to support me. However his drinking Starbucks in front of me everyday DOES NOT HELP MEEEE! Especially since I looooooooove Starbucks.

This morning we had breakfast together and he had french toast and sausage, while I had an omelet with onion, tomato, and sausage. I'm an STILL stuffed and I ate that more than 4 hours ago.

I'm going out today and buying a scale and then I am cleaning out my refridge and cupboards. I'm praying I can stick with this. I just keep telling myself "two weeks" "two weeks". I'm sure after two weeks I'll see results and stay with the induction stage for a while after that until I get back down to what I used to be.

I'm so determined. I want to be in great shape by the time my birthday "3/21" rolls around. I'm sure you guys are gonna get tired of hearing about every single pound that comes off.. LOL!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 11:56
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You go girl!!!

And don't think you have to give up Starbuck's forever. The jury is out on the effects of caffeine - some drinkers experience stalls, others do not. I would recommend staying off the coffee for induction, after that you will have to see if it affects your loss or not.

Check out the recipe thread - there are lots of quick and easy things to make. I find it helpful to make things like deep dish pizza quiche, and I can eat it all week - hot or cold. (and very good!)

Don't let your boyfriend discourage you. This isn't about him or what he wants, its about you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:01

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!

Cass,

It sounds like you are off to a great start. Come here for as much support as you need.

Take care!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:13

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

Hi, Cass,

I'm also new here. I've been reading through a lot of journals over the last couple of days and I think when You go out to get the scale you should also pick up a tape measure and get all of your measurements if you don't already have them.

Many people in their journals mention losing inches even when their weight isn't dropping as fast as they would like. This is from building muscle while still losing fat(muscle weighs more than fat). If you take measurements regularly you'll be able to see that you really are losing even if the scale doesn't show it.

Have a wonderful day.

God bless,
Carla
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:53

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%
Wink Girl, Wipe those tears.

My Father (not the most sensitive man in the world) used to have a saying when I was a kid. He used to say the more you cry, the less you pee. Well, on this WOE you definitely want to be a peepee girl. That's the way the fat leaves your body.

I know you're in a new town. I know you don't get the support from your BF that you want. And believe me, I know how depressing it can be. BUT Things do change with this lifestyle. Stick with Induction for about 3 weeks. Do it religiously--no cheating. You'd only be cheating yourself. Read the Induction part of the book every day to make sure you're doing everything right. Come to the forum as often as you can. I make it a point to come everyday. These people are my family and my friends. All of my other friends are in another state or city. My husband and I moved here to DC last year. But I'm not lonely. And I don't drive either.

Who doesn't like pasta, and pizza, and onion rings and ...oh don't get me started. But you'll be surprised. After Induction you will stop craving those things and will start craving veggies and protein. And remember, every 10-15 pounds lost is a dress size. So don't throw out your favorite small clothes. You'll be back to them in no time.

Stick with this. And stick with us. We'll be your guardian angels.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:07

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hey Cass your story sounds so similar to mine. I moved from New Zealand 4 years ago to be with my now husband I didn't work for a whole year while waiting for my green gard and got used to this american way of eating. Back home my natrual eating pattern was VERY similar to atkins. Alot of meat and veggies not much bread or potatos. We Joined the gym together and have only just gone back after not going for two years. It is very hard to be overweight in la especially. You would not believe how good some of these women look! I too felt like crap at the gym being this huffy puffy fat girl when I used one prancing round the gym in short shorts.

Hang in there cause I totally Understand I moved here when I was 20 and I had no family here. I had friends now for sure but when I first arrive NADA
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:11

BF:

PS. I coralled my hubbie into eating this way with me as he has gone from marathon runner to someone overweight like me. It helps soo much when your eating out a resturant and the person with you is eating the same style.
Remeber IN and OUT does great low card burgers with lectucce instead of bread. Just order it protein style
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 18:08

OooOoOOo Yes I forgot about In N Out. Yummmmmmmm. Craig will be happy because he loves that place and I can get the burger without the bread!

I just cleaned out the entire fridge and went grocery shopping. My house is carb-proof now. I bought straws to help me drink more water. I'm horrible about not drinking enough water and if I use a straw I drink faster and manage to drink more. I'm strange I guess?

I also bought my scale. It tells you your weight and measures your BF %. I'm going to see what my first day did if anything.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:27

BF:

Maybe the straw tricks you into thinking its soda?