Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/233/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Unhappy Hair loss on Atkins

I just wanted to ask and see if anyone really loses their hair on the WOE.... I have long blonde hair past my waist and I do not want it to fall out... I have read in a few posts where ones have mentioned this...I am in my 5th week and staying around 20 or less carbs a day...I would appreciate any input on this because if hair loss is something that will happen to me then I will have to re-think doing this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Wanna Lose,
I have long fine hair and I have actually found my hair getting a little thicker and less of the normal amount in my hair brush. I would imagine it might be different for different people. I have a friend who's hair stopped growing and after a few weeks on Atkins it started again. Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

I serously doubt atkins brings hair loss (this coming from a man who is losing his hair) But I will let you know in a month
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 220/220/150 Female 5 ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

[COLOR=magenta][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=1]hello i have a friend that i go to school with and she did atkins a long time ago her hair started to fall out but it was because she was yo yo dieting with a bunch of diffrent diets before atkins also your hair will fall out if you are stressed about something but i don't think atkins alone would make your hair fall out if that was the case a lot of people wouldn't be on it
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

From Atkins web site

Quote:
I've noticed some hair loss while I've been doing Atkins. Is this a result of my new eating habits? What can I do?
It is natural to go through periodic phases of shedding hair. But if this is an ongoing problem, make sure you're not restricting calories or skipping meals. Any weight-loss regimen may lower your metabolic rate, which can result in hair loss. Unlike calorie-restricted diets, Atkins is the least likely of any weight-loss program to contribute to hair loss because the higher caloric content keeps the body from behaving as though it is in a starvation mode. When that happens, your metabolism is lowered as a survival mechanism.
Alternatively, you might be low in some specific nutrients that could affect your hair loss. You might try adding biotin, N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), glutathione and lecithin to your diet. If excessive hair loss occurs, see your doctor.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:23
Registered Member

Stats: 255/233/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks all.... I just didn't want to lose my hair...lol...its what gets me my compliments... hopefully I will get them on other things before tooooo long.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 21:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Your hair may actuly start to look alot better and more shiney because of the added healthy fats in your diet. Adding oils seem to help some people in that area as well. There are gelitin products too that are suposed to help with hair and nails
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 23:18
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Actually, significant weight loss by *any* method often results in hair loss, as do hormonal changes (pregnancy, menopause, etc). This article from LowCarbLuxury.com has an explanation of why: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...3-no06-pg7.html

I sympathize with you, WannaLose, because I also have very long blonde hair, and it's always been my one vanity. I did go through a period of hair loss a couple months after starting Atkins, and I blame it completely on losing about thirty pounds in three months. I hadn't been fad-dieting, took my vitamins, and was eating very healthy LC (lots of veggies, very little frankenfood, fresh and high-quality everything), so I just don't think external factors played a part in it. I just lost a lot of weight very quickly, and that puts a stress on your body regardless of how you lose it. I never got anywhere approaching bald, though, and the only ones who noticed it were me and DH (who mainly noticed the unbelievable shedding rate). It was actually kind of a good thing, because I had a *lot* of hair, enough to break barrettes and destroy the elastic in scrunchies. It's a little more manageable now that there's not quite so much of it! However, it's starting to really grow again, so I have massive attacks of the "wispies" because of all the short hair around my face.

The hair loss thing freaked me out, but it wasn't worth quitting and going back to high-carb. I felt so amazingly better, and the weight was just falling off; much as I loved my hair, it wasn't worth continuing to look and feel like crap. It's only hair, and it does grow back in time. It'll be back where it was in a couple years, and then I'll have it all -- I'll be thin, energetic, healthy, AND a shampoo commercial waiting to happen! I think my health and overall happiness are a higher priority than my hair, but I guess you'll have to make that decision for yourself. It may happen, it may not, and you'll have to risk it if you stay LC. Obviously, you're unhappy enough with the way things are to start LC in the first place, but only you can ask yourself if you're unhappy enough for it to be worth a little hair.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 07:09

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Cool Hair loss

I've been dealing with this very issue. I'm losing quite a bit of hair when ever I wash and style my hair. I guess it came from losing so much weight quickly.. I'm hoping that it will taper off soon and I'll start noticing regrowth. My hair was thinish to begin with, I can't afford to lose much more. I'm told it will grow back. I'm just waiting.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 07:12

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

This has been on my mind too. . .I have the fat chick crowning glory. . .a full thick head of long red hair. . .but I have noticed more strands are tickling the back of my caves as they fall out. . .now I have alot of hair. . .but I don't want to lose any of it! i am taking a full B vitamin and flax oil. . .along with my mulivitmin/mineral and calcium. But even considering baldness. . .I am going to stick with this diet. . .I could make bald work well. . .I would henna! redawn
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 07:17

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

When I lost 76 lbs. in 9 months, 2000, I had hairloss, but I was being a very bad girl. I didn't realize the importance of eating veggies and eating enough overall.

I stopped Atkins when I became pregnant and restarted lc'ing in 2002. I found this site and am doing a much better job this time around at eating my veggies and such. I normally eat between 20 and 30 grams of carbs a day. My hair is soft and beautiful ... no abnormal hairloss either.

Best to you!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 08:46

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 224/210/180 Female 5'6" (67.2")
BF:36.2%/33.9%/29.0%
Progress: 32%
I started losing my hair after i had my daughter, then i also started losing weight, then started Atkins. At the same time i was a stay at home mum. I think i was stressed out and worrying about other things. I can't really say why my hair stopped falling out 3 months ago when i stopped Atkins and i started working. I'm on day 9 of induction....fingers crossed.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 09:12

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

I too have had hairloss and that freaked me out because I already have fine hair! But, I started taking my vitamins like a good girl and make sure that I keep my calories & fat up and it all settled down! I don't think anyone could go bald unless they were depriving themselves of enough calories & good fats. Be sure to take your vitamins (reminding myself more than others )
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254/216/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

saturnstar...
might i ask what vitamins you are taking and which foods you eat to keep your calories/fat up? i'm having problems with hair loss myself, so i'm looking for ways to combat it.

thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 12:19

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

I too have noticed that my hair is falling out when I comb it after washing it....and i have very thin very blonde hair...I dont!!!..want to loose too much more..should I go buy some of the vitamins that help in the hair area???..I have heard that you should use Materna...it is a suppliment used by pregnant women that suppose to promote hair growth???..anyone heard of that.....right now all I take is a multi-vitamin without iron..should I switch????
thanks Janet