Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 306/275/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question A return to ketosis?

Hi all.

Just a quick question about my situation-What's up with me?? I started this WOE on May 5 at 306 lbs. By early June I was down to 282. Then, nothing happened. I didn't pig out, I didn't cheat, I didn't change a single thing. My ketostix stopped turning pink, the gritty sensation left my teeth, and I was adrift-282 one day, 281 the next, 283 the day after that, up down up down but NEVER below 280 (and that was just one day)

After about 6 weeks of this I wanted to give up-I was so frustrated, I'd lost 26 pounds in 6 weeks, and now nothing for 6 more. Then yesterday the scale started to move again-279.5! then this morning, 278! And my ketostix are pink again! And my teeth are gritty again! And I've done NOTHING differently.

My only thinking is that for years and years I was in the mid 280's for weight, I only recently shot up to 306. Maybe my body "recognized" 282 and considered it a comfort zone and wasn't quite ready to leave it.

Anyone have any thoughts? Normally I would have chalked it up to a stall followed by a whoosh, but it's the ketosis thing that has me baffled.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:13

Stats: 286/286/165 Female 66 inches
BF:46%/46%/22.5 or <
Progress: 0%
Talking My guess is, "You're exactly right!"

I, myself, appear to be just now coming out of a somewhat, similar situation. I don't remember this particular weight being one that I ever sat at for any length of time. But, I do realize that I've lost about 10-13% of my total body weight since December. It makes sense that our bodies have to time to re-adjust. One time a doctor told me that for every 10% of our body weight we lose, we decrease our risks factors for disease and such, manifold. I'll be curious to see if the same thing happens for me at the next 10% level.

BTW, congratulations on your fantastic weight loss thus far! You're doing fantastic! We can always use more inspiration!

Shari
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:21
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

The body takes its own sweet time to do what it eventually must do.

Consistancy is the key here and you guys did and are doing great!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:00

Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Now I'm not sure that I ever left ketosis, but I seem to have 1 week of weight loss, the next two or three it stays pretty much the same. You know, up and down and up and down. Then suddenly another big loss. Then up and down up and down. I'm starting to get used to it and to realize that this is how my body is gonna do this. I started on April 11th. So am just about done with my 3rd month. Have to admit, I have absolutely no desire to cheat tho. I love this WOL!!!!
Echo
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Stats: 306/275/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks for the great replies! You are all an inspiration to me!

Oh, and 277 today! That's 3 pounds in 3 days!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 376/339/190 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I thought I was in your shoes until I discovered the hidden carbs at one of my favoritie restaurants. I ordered grilled chicken breast with cheese only to find out a few days later (after getting the same meal three separate times) that the chicken breast was marinated in a lime-sugar brine. If you eat out make sure you ask a lot of questions. There are hidden carbs everywhere that will really stymie you.