Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 20:49

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default Does this annoy you?

Maybe I'm just crabby but this is really annoying me. Everyone in the household seems attracted to your low carb food, even thought they are not on a diet, and when you go for your stuff there is none! They have all the options in the world and pick my certain few foods I have ready to eat? It's like a big red sign is flashing on the food for them to come eat it. I don't mind sharing in the least, but reaching for something and finding it gone is annoying and they don't realize if they snack on my high fat foods along with their high carb foods they will blow up!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 21:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

OOOOOO...you've hit a touchy subject for me. More than one morning I've woken up to find that my kids have eaten my SF jello. GRRRR! Their ALWAYS wanting my LC food. I never thought of myself as a greedy person, but I turn into Cujo when someone tries to steal my veggies off my plate. LOL

~Angi~
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 21:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I know what you mean. I made a nice LC curry one night, thought I could eat off it for a couple of days. My non LC mother came over for a visit and ate over half of it :\ My son steals all my string cheese (Which is ok since finding out I'm lactose intolerent) as well as all my nitrate free turkey dogs.

While it's frustrating, I am also proud of him for eating healthy choices. I'd rather share my healthier foods with my son then give him to much junk. He asks for fruit and eggs for breakfast now instead of always cereal. He also asks for peanut butter spread on cheese now instead of on bread. His favorite treat has become splenda sweetened blue bunny icecream bars I don't restrict his carbs, just try to cut down on refined sugars and flour
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 22:12

Stats: 235/235/160
BF:
Progress:
Default SF jello

And here I thought I was a bad mom for hidding my SF jello in the bottom of my vegetable crisper (the only place that my 3 year old would never look)

Glad to see I am not the only one protective of LC food!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 22:20
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 0%

my family now eats the food that I eat. Except the kids do eat more carbs because they love rice and sandwiches. But we have a rule.... I dont eat your ice-cream and you dont eat my sunflower seeds.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 23:21
Registered Member

Stats: 192/167.2/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm roaring with ya on this one.

My hubby (who currently is in the doghouse for eating all my pre-cooked chicken today) is forever finding out that my lc food tastes loads better then his rice, pasta and bread. Ok...he can have the nuts, seeds and dairy stuff since I no longer can tolerate them...and keep his fingers off my chicken!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 00:26

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile I thought it was only my family

I started off last year going low carb. As time went on, more low carb foods were offered at meal times. My spouse is able to eat whatever he wants- he has bought potatoes on occasion and he has frozen bread which he sometimes makes sandwiches with...

BUT

most of the time he eats low carb food. Like yesterday, I boiled several eggs for today's meals, but alas while I was out shopping and at the theatre with our daughter, he decided he would like to make egg salad sandwhiches and ate most of the eggs I had prepared for today.

On the other hand, he will try almost anything thank god...some of the low carb recipes I've tried have been real losers. he doesn't usually complain either and if he really likes it - like the meatza recipe- he will eat and ask for seconds.

My daughter is low carbing now too and has lost about 20 pounds since setting her mind to it in April.03 She eats any snacks I bring home also.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 01:02
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
On the other hand, he will try almost anything thank god...some of the low carb recipes I've tried have been real losers.

You're lucky. Nothing ticks me off more then when I go through alot of effort to cook a family meal, and no one will even try it. My son is a typical preschooler and getting him to try new things can be hard unless we are at a resteraunt. By the time my SO gets off work it's in the fridge waiting, but he will eat at work or make him self a samwitch and mumble about trying some later. I finaly figured out to make just enough for me, and if there is more then one serving, I stick it in fridge to have next day. Of course on nights like that someone ends up eating most of my food :\
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 04:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_moan
And here I thought I was a bad mom for hidding my SF jello in the bottom of my vegetable crisper (the only place that my 3 year old would never look)

Hi,

LMAO - this so reminds me of my DD she would never dream of looking for anything like that in the vege bin. Very good hiding place

Geri
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 06:34

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yep, same here...my kids want my LC food! LOL Guess we have all been eating low carb, which is good, my girl is really getting thin. One huge thing that bugs me....once a month I will splurge and get pizza hut...pizza for them, wings for me. What do the kids want?? MY WINGS!!!! LOL Ah, such is life.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 06:44

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Why don't you all eat the same things? Kids should be eating SF jello anyway. Same with the chicken and other foods.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 07:24

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Auburn,
I completely agree!!!!! It is healthier for my kids as well. They don't get any more candy or sweets on a regular basis and they are doing low carb and don't even know it! Why not teach them to eat healthy when they are young? Great idea!!
~Cindy
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/139/125 Female 62 inches
BF:39.3/36.6/??
Progress: 36%

nothing puts me in a bad mood faster than to find my kids have eaten my lc stuff! i know it's better for them but it's very expensive and they will also eat their junk as well! i think the last time it happend my head spun around and fire came out of my eyes. i don't think they'll do it again.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 08:41

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I don't let my kids have the SF snacks because of the artificial sweeteners. I still don't even entirely trust that Splenda is safe yet. It's only considered safe now because it hasn't proven to be unsafe yet. It's a fairly new product. I don't want to risk their young health just to forego a little sugar (which they don't have much of, anyway). I would prefer that they just share in healthy dinners with me and leave it at that. My daughter has already slimmed down since there is no more fast food and no more carby snacks. I buy ONE package of cookies every two weeks when I grocery shop and that goes into the cookie jar. When those are gone, they're done with snacks until I go back to the grocery store.

~Angi~
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 09:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Oh yes, I hate sharing. My son has been sneaking my Splenda!!! I had some low carb chocolate covered pizzelles that vanished!! My family will eat my low carb stuff and eat their stuff. They even eat my soy flour,low carb chocolate chip cookies. Then they poke fun at them because they are made from soy flour. What makes me crazy is I can't eat their stuff and they have plenty of it. Why eat my stuff? I would love to have the strawberries and raspberries all to myself, those are my only fruit.

Have a great day everyone
Black57