Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 131.8/127.2/120
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Shakes during induction for bkfast

Has anyone tried having the Atkins shakes for bkfast during induction. I thought about having eggs some days and shakes other days to prevent getting tired of the eggs. has anyone tried this? Good results?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The shakes can cause some people to stall, so use with caution. As an occasional treat they shouldn't be to bad. I prefer the taste of the EAS ready made to Atkins, but thats a personal opinion

You might add a bit of heavy cream or something else to up the fat percentage. If you take psyllium husks you can throw them into the shake too to hide them, just make sure to not let your shake sit or you will have pudding.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Actually, it's very rare for the *shakes* to cause a stall, unless you are lactose-intolerant or unusually sensitive to dairy. The *bars* are a different matter, because some people react to the sugar alcohols and/or glycerine. If you look at the labels on the bars, you will notice that the total carb count is about 20, but only 2-4 of those are "net" carbs, because you can subtract the glycerine and sugar alcohols as well as the fiber. However, many people must count some or all of the carbs coming from glycerine and sugar alcohols, meaning that for them the bars really do have 15-20g of carbs!

Most brands of shakes, including the Atkins brand, do not contain sugar alcohols, glycerine, or any other potential stall causer. They are sweetened with liquid sucralose (Splenda), which unlike the powdered form is truly zero carb, and since they're liquid they don't need to rely on glycerine for texture. The total carb count on the label is only 2-4g, and 1-2 of that is fiber, which *everyone* agrees can be deducted, leaving a net carb count of 1-2g per shake.

The shakes have a bad reputation because of their association with the bars, but I've never actually seen anyone stall from shakes alone. The only people who would really be stalled by shakes are those who are extremely sensitive to *everything* or who should be on a specialized diet for something like Candida or dairy intolerance. Of course, real food is better, but the shakes are great if you're in a hurry for breakfast, or can't face anything non-liquid in the morning. I wouldn't worry about them even during Induction.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:25

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I drank a shake 5 out of 7 mornings thru induction and up until today. I experimented by drinking no shakes at all last October...no change in wieght loss(or gain).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:32

Stats: 131.8/127.2/120
BF:
Progress: 39%

All, thanks for your responses. I guess I will be drinking the shakes w/out worrying.
I had the bars during induction (4 weeks) and only lost 5 lbs. Others said it was a good loss others said to little loss and to stay off the bars. The bars are what help me get through the sweet cravings so I don't think I want to give them up. I also noticed that after I drink a diet rite my sweet cravings intensify greatly.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/149/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default hi

Hi, I just finished induction and had a shake everyday. I told myself I was going to try and cut back on the shakes but it helped my sweet tooth so much. I lost a respectable amount of weight ,but don;t know if it would have been more if i avoided them. Basically for me the shake was better option than a cookie!good luck
jean
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 14:38

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

I drink the shakes most mornings. I do have a suggestion for you. I keep mine refrigerated and then I pop one into the freezer for 30-40 minutes before I drink it. This makes it more of a shake and less of a chocolate drink (or whatever flavor you prefer). Once you take it out of the freezer shake the heck out of it before you open it.

OG