Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/141/125
BF:not sure
Progress:
Default gained it back in ONE day!

I am sooo frustrated! I started induction 2 1/2 weeks ago. The 6 lbs I lost went VERY slowly (starting at 146lbs went to 140) then I go camping for 2 days, ONE night and come back bloated, water retained and feeling like crap. The whole time I was there, I did nothing but hike vigorously so I had plenty of exercise. Granted I consumed several more carbs than I had during induction and also the elevation change from the valley to the mountains played a role in water retention. But now that I'm back, the water is all gone...I've gained 5 lbs in ONE day!!! What gives? I'm not craving anything. I feel better this morning than I did last night when I came back from my camping trip, constipated, bloated, etc....but the weight is still there. I don't plan on doing another 2 week induction phase. Any suggestions? I excercise regularly and lately I feel bulky muscled, not leanly toned....help!!!
nicki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

I have also gain 4 pounds since yesterday. During the last two days I have exercised somewhat more than usual and I ate a little less than normal.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/241/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Angry Me too!

Same with me! I've been on Atkins for exactly three weeks now. Lost seven pounds the first week. Slowed down the second week and by last Friday was down 8.5 pounds! I felt great. Then, weekend came and went, more exercise than usual (I added a mile to my daily walk and did more yardwork, etc.) Today, I'm back UP 4 pounds! I'm frustrated now. And I've never really left induction.
I'm not planning to do anything differently, but I'd like to know how others get over this hump!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:44

Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Be sure to drink EXTRA water if you are hiking/exercising more, the more you drink the less you will retain, it sounds backwards, but it's true!!

Thats all I can think of with your extra exercise and less eating......DRINK, DRINK, DRINK the water!

Heidi
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:56

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I was down 11 lbs yesterday morning. I took a bunch of anti-candida supplements and teas and then did a BUNCH of exercise. I woke up in pain (presumably candida *die-off*) and up 4 lbs on the scale. I usually don't weigh myself but after a night of LOTS of water drinking, I managed to get and stay bloated.

Maybe it is the moon?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 11:02

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

This is most likely water weight...unless you consumed over 17,500 calories, you couldn't have gained back 5 pounds.

L
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 11:17

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Wyspers:
I noticed that your stats at the bottom of your email said that you couldn't wait to read Atkins For Life. I just got the book for my birthday on Saturday and LOVE IT. I was afraid it may end up just being a regroup of his Diet Revolution book but it isn't - how wonderful!!!
The Carb Ladder is especially helpful as I am going to have to go into Lifetime Maintenance prematurely (won't have time for OWL and Pre-Maintainence). I'm about 50 pages in and it is really great.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 11:31

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

musicnic1,

I feel your pain. It happens, we just need to stick this out and keep drinking LOTS of water. You may have built some muscle tissue and that would increase the weight. Of course that means that you have a bigger engine - so you should burn more calories every day.

Give it another week before you get frustrated.

As a side note: I did my daily weighin today, and it was a joke. First time it was 300.0 lbs, then 300.5 lbs, then 301.0 lbs, then 301.5 lbs, then 302.0 lbs - I stopped there. It must have been the way I was standing... so I will see tomorrow.

Peace.