Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 22:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%
Unhappy Why Is the Ketostix only a pink color?

I've been on induction now since 6/17/03 and finally got the ketosis sticks to see how I was doing. I tested and it was about halfway on the stick! I really expected a purple!! How depressing! I've read and re-read the book and I'm following it to the letter....so what's up???

I've only lost 6 lbs in a month! It seems like more than that should have come off already! Maybe this isn't for me! I'm having a terrible time forcing all this meat and eggs down my throat!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 22:27
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi JJ,

Pink is actually better than deep purple. Purple can mean that you are dehydrated. Basically, any colour change means that you are in ketosis.

There's an article by Doreen T explaining all of this in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Losing 6 pounds in a month is a great rate of losing. Remember, this is a WOL, not a quick fix diet.

All the best.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 23:01

Hi Rosebud!

Thanks for the reply! Right after I posted this I saw where you have pointed out the *Low Carb Tips* in the orange bar to someone else so I read that before I got to your reply.

I thought during the first month I would drop a lot more than 6 lbs. I suppose I'm just frustrated today and have been having major mood swings all this week! DH ha dropped about 15 lbs. so far so that is frustrating as well!!

I went to the grocery today and tried to find new things to eat! That in itself was very frustrating since everything out there has major carbs in it! Every label I read had carbs, carbs, sugar, sugar and I went home with very little in my basket.

Hubby is worried about me cuz NOTHING seems appetizing to me! I cook, sit down to eat, it doesn't seem satisfying so I end up throwing in down the disposal! I've been trying new recipes, but everything just seems to revolve around eggs and meat, eggs and meat!!!

I bought shrimp today, and some spareribs and thought I give those a try for something different to eat!

I'm just a mess today...........depressed, leg cramps, bloated and lightheaded! I was feeling so good two weeks ago and now I feel like crap!

How does one keep some variety in the menu? I've started to resent having to go into the kitchen to fix a meal! I just stand in the kitchen gazing into the refrigerator and pantry wondering what the heck to I fix today?????
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 23:11
Forum Moderator

BF:

Poor ole JJ! I'm sorry you're feeling so cruddy.

About the leg cramps: supplements! Are you taking calcium with magnesium - 2 cal:1 mag in the one tablet, taking 1000:500mg daily? Fixed my leg cramps.

Feeling light headed often means you are low in potassium. The Drs Eades of Protein Power recommend around 400mg potassium daily while losing weight. You can buy 99mg tablets which you should spread through the day, and always have them with food, or you can use a potassium salt such as No Salt.

Anyone taking diuretics or BP meds should check with their pharmacist before taking any potassium supps.
Quote:
How does one keep some variety in the menu?

Have you had a good look through our recipe forums? Another good idea is to have a peek into other people's journals to see what they eat. You're welcome to see mine.

Hope you feel a bit better and brighter soon!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:02

Default Leg cramps

Rosebud,

Thanks for the info! I'm taking a calcium supplement! Am I perhaps getting too much? It seems like that's when the leg cramps started!

I'm in a better mood this morning.......it's a mood swing thing I suppose since I'm off my HRT's and having a difficult time adjusting to raging hormones or lack thereof!!!!! LOL!

Have a great day!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 11:13
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Make sure to eat your veggies. Instead of having every meal revolve around meat and eggs, have it revolve around veggies occasionaly. Stirfry, fajotas, chef salads, and so on. Grab fish too. You can buy frozen samlon and white fish filets at the store in large bags. Then you just pull down 1 fillet and cook it as needed. Try experiemtning with cauliflower. It can be cooked and pureed, with a little doctoring it is just like mashed potatoes. It can also be grated then cooked for a fake rice. If you sautee the fake rice, then add cubed meat and some veggies you can make a pork/chicken fried rice that is just as good as any chinese resteraunt.

Look through the recipe forums here for new ideas, as well as other users journals. There are also LC cookbooks you can buy, such as "500 Low-Carb Recipes" by Dana Carpender.

Read Atkins and other books about nartural ways to combat the problems of going off HRTs. Soy based products can naturaly add estrogen to your body, and make for a nice change from meat all the time. There is also a soy milk called Soy Slender that has only 1 ECC. I use it instead of cream because of lactose intolerence. There are also low carb soy cheeses, meat replacements, shakes, and so on. Atkins also recomends certain suppliments to help, I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. You may want to search the web site.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 11:33

Default Veggies

Hi Ladybelle!

DH and I have been eating lots of salads, but I didn't realize the cauliflower was on the list for induction. I'll check out the book you suggested!

Last night I fixed a Bacon Cheeseburger Quiche that DH and I really liked. I'll get the hang of this sooner or later! Somedays I just feel lost, especially when we are out and stop to get something to eat! So far. our waiters have been very nice about our requests!

Have a great day and thanks for the support and tips!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 18:15
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi JJ,

How much calcium are you taking? It is very unlikely that you are getting too much.

And how much water are you drinking? Dehydration can also produce leg cramps. You need a minimum of 2 litres/64 oz PLUS another 250 mL/8 oz for every 25 pounds you wish to lose.

One more question. Why are you off the HRT? I couldn't cope without mine. You may be interested to know that one of our most successful moderators, Little Anne (60 pounds down), found her weight loss improved dramatically once her HRT dose was increased.

Cheers.

Rosebud