Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 11:53

Plan: N/A
Stats: 145/140/125
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Help! I'm COMPLETELY FRUSTRATED!

I've been reading and researching information about calories and Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), and although I can understand the reasoning for counting calories and exercising 1.2-times to 3.75-times the amount of calories consumed, this approach doesn't seem to work for me, unless I'm doing it incorrectly. If I exercise more than I eat, I'll be hungry and less likely to stay within the total amount of calories per day that I have allotted myself OR If I exercise less and eat less... still same result... I'm hungry. I've been trying different methods for trying to curb my hunger like drinking lots of water, tea, diet sodas, and chewing gum when I feel the urge to eat but I always feel crabby and frustrated because I feel as though I'm still hungry. I don't have any money to try a professional service like Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, or Atkins, nor a health club membership or gym so I'm trying to do this all on my own. I was excited when I had thought that my own diet had rewarded me with the loss of 5 pounds during the first week; however, after reading some material regarding weight loss, I learned that the first seven pounds don't count since it's water weight and doesn't have any baring on fat cells. I'm feeling hopeless and frustrated. Can anyone offer me some advice... PLEASE!?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 14:54
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

molly, first, take a deep breath...hold it...exhale....OK
actually Atkins is not that expensive, cost less than eatly out almost all week or buying low fat specialty foods...have you ever tried a low carb(LC) diet? the beauty of LCing is later on it curbs your appetite. Check out this site: http://atkins.com/ .... do some reading and if you still have questions, ask, we'll help you......I'm the same way as your are the more i exercise the more hungry I am. This way of eating (WOE) has helped tremendously with all aspects of dieting for me. Give it a try....you won't regret it.....good luck
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:27

Plan: N/A
Stats: 145/140/125
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoOPUS
molly, first, take a deep breath...hold it...exhale....OK
actually Atkins is not that expensive, cost less than eatly out almost all week or buying low fat specialty foods...have you ever tried a low carb(LC) diet? the beauty of LCing is later on it curbs your appetite. Check out this site: http://atkins.com/ .... do some reading and if you still have questions, ask, we'll help you......I'm the same way as your are the more i exercise the more hungry I am. This way of eating (WOE) has helped tremendously with all aspects of dieting for me. Give it a try....you won't regret it.....good luck

ManoOPUS: (Sighs of relief.) Thank you for your help. I'll definitely look into it. I never had before because I always expected those plans to be expensive but I'm desperate. Will these plans let me ask questions before and find out just what the diet is about before committing to it? All these counselors make it seem as though their plan is so hush-hush. They don't want to give away ANY of their secrets until you plan to join on their weight-loss team, sort to speak. Anyhow, I'll look into more of these types of Weight Loss techniques. Maybe I misjudged the costs.

Last edited by mollyann : Thu, Jul-03-03 at 20:29.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 17:28

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default help

Cost is a big issue with me - haven't been able to bring myself to join a health club. And feel huge pangs of guilt buying a rib steak for myself and corndogs for my kids. Your basic fifties mold - Dad works hard, denies himself, puts everybody else first, etc. But in fact, a couple of eggs are no more costly than name-brand cereal - and I can usually find meat on sale, slice one thick steak into two thin ones,get by for maybe 3.50 per meal. Less than a lot of fast food. I guess it would cost more to feed the whole family this way, but they don't want to - wife has vegetarian leanings, kids want the typical all-american, all-sugars all the time diet. Don't let the cost scare you away. Come to think of it, why should modern society think you should get by with 10% of your disposable income for food, and the rest for electronic gismos and clothes that will be out of style in 6 months. Priorities? Bill
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 05:11

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Atkins costs $8

And that's for the book. No maintenance, no dues, no meetings, no nothing. You can even get it at the library for free, although you'll probably want your own copy before long. The Atkins site and people here will answer all the questions you have and you might even be able to find a local support group.

Get started at atkins.com; get the book. Or pick one of the other LC plans and get their books. Understand the LC philosophy before you try to "curb your hunger" again.

Bodies have their own wisdom. Not good to mess with that too much.

Some people take to Atkins right off and start losing reliably; other people come to see that they still have to concern themselves with calories. Not clear from your post which you might be but you'll find out soon enough.

Execise is good for a lot of reasons but it's somewhat indirectly related to weight loss. Metabolic rate is much more flexible than the standard intake+exercise = weight equations will give you.

Desperation is not good for the soul. We all earned our way to our current weight and life did not end. I'm not alone in being fat. It'll come off in time, but meanwhile, I have to do something with the rest of the day and I might as well enjoy my life as much as I can.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/139/125 Female 62 inches
BF:39.3/36.6/??
Progress: 36%

mollyann,

i find that staying as busy as possible helps me get through days when i'm really hungry. ususally around the TOM. go outside and do some gardening, even if it's pulling weeds. i do housework - which i hate - and i find the time goes by and i've also accomplished something. i have children and they're great for finding activities and keeping me busy. take up a hobby like cross-stitching that keeps your hands busy. you can usually find stuff really cheap at discount stores. phone a friend when the urge to eat is really strong or get on this forum. there's lots of great people here who have been doing this a long time!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 118/112/105
BF:
Progress: 46%

I was never aware that you had to purchase anything if you were doing Atkins. As a matter of fact he stated quite clearly in his 1972 Diet Revolution that you did not have to buy anything including the book. At that time he suggested getting his book out of the library if that was what you wanted to do. Of course, this was before LC bars and suppliments which I believe helped launch the notion of LCing. We love our gimmicks. The only thing you may want to purchase are the ketostix which you can get at your local drug store. They are very easy to use and if you have read Atkin's book you will understand how the stix can help you gauge where you are. Again, they are not necessary but if you are a beginner it is a good source of information as well as inspiration. Good luck.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 08:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/240/175 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default stop hunger

A high protein diet will help you stop hunger a high protien drink like atkins shake or some of the others will help look to see on the label to make sure its low in carbs under 3grams is what i look for.
I been doing this since april and i very rarely get hunger sometimme i have to remind my self to eat. lots of times low fat diets and low carb diets will keep us hungery.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:

We are all so differently the same. :-) I tried a protein diet and found it made me feel edgy which made me crave carbs. Since starting Adkins (paperback, used, $4.25) I don't suffer any carb cravings. After a bad day's work I used to scarf the ice cream. Now, after a bad day's work I eat a bit of cheese and feel better. Follow the book closely and you'll do okay. I tried jump-starting weight loss by eating LESS fat than what's recommended and ended up in a stall.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 09:51

Plan: General Lowcarbing
Stats: 188/185/150
BF:
Progress: 8%

Just a little tip if you are concerned about grocery costs.....if you have a SuperWalmart in your areas, their prices are very low compared to other grocery stores. That is where I purchase the bulk of my groceries.

Roche